Past #42: Tom Campbell - delisted end '21 - 12 NM games / 7 NM goals - 2019 NM VFL John Law Medallist - thanks Soup

Agree with your first paragraph.

Will differ on the Ben Brown bit though. I'm not a past or present ruckman at any level but the guy can't hold his ground against defenders half his size. The prospect of him routinely smashing into or jostling with a guy equally sized or larger than him is a frightful one. In the moments that he does ruck he seems pretty ineffective.

Not dismissing what you've said but there's no way I'd be letting Ben go near a ruck contest if I ran the show.

I was in the same boat as you and honestly if someone put a gun to my head and asked me I'd still be. But none the less its one of those things that seems to happen every time I see the footy with that guy. (Not every time but often enough that I notice it.)

And by that I mean win contests to advantage.

He actually got at least a couple of hit outs to Hall in one game this year. Hall was s**t down immediately but its understandable given how crowded that bit of our forward line was at the time. That game showed me Hall has the potential to play inside and (if we could reprogram him to run hard defensively,) maybe address some of our spread issues. Playing Hall at the contest was something someone had mentioned earlier, maybe The Other Dean or LuvtheKangas, and that game in particular seemed to show the idea was worth exploring a bit.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I was in the same boat as you and honestly if someone put a gun to my head and asked me I'd still be. But none the less its one of those things that seems to happen every time I see the footy with that guy. (Not every time but often enough that I notice it.)

To be fair it's a bit rich of Cruize Garlett to label himself a "ruckman" based on attending one throw-in in his life.

Its the 2020 GF.

We're 5 points up with a minute to go, Cunners is unconscious (accidently punched himself in the face handballing from the wing to browny at FF), Goldy has just done his ankle and instead of Maj Scamper goes with Browny in the ruck and Hall, Lmac and Jmac in the midfield.

BF shudders to a halt as the North board GD thread causes a worldwide internet outage.

Bit of surgery for Tommy.

"Tom Campbell will have his right shoulder instability repaired arthroscopically"

The perils of carrying the VFL side on his back for most of the year. That's a simple procedure and he'll be good to go in a month.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Big Tom came 3rd in the JJ Liston Trophy! What a year for the big fella! Congratulations!

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
It seems like Tom is one of those blokes that causes others to volunteer that North is such a great club and that they 'love the place.' Like the Rat, if you have players that can't crack the senior team, the best they can do is to do their best, week-in, week-out, and be realistic and optimistic. Love hearing about his character off field too.

Back