Past #42: Tom Lynch - officially retires from the AFL as a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed that we haven’t seen him strap on the boots and help the VFL side out, I honestly think that would be more beneficial than coaching from the sidelines.

Would make sense to retire him and add Bergman to the inactive list so we can have a couple of cracks at the MSD
I agree we should retire him, but have no issues with him being brought in. If he wanted to he could be playing seniors comfortably.

Disappointed that we haven’t seen him strap on the boots and help the VFL side out, I honestly think that would be more beneficial than coaching from the sidelines.

Would make sense to retire him and add Bergman to the inactive list so we can have a couple of cracks at the MSD
If this was to happen and we have 2 picks both players MUST and I mean MUST play AFL straight away no point playing them in the VFL looked what happened last year Edwards is still hear and jury is still out on him and Ham didn’t last.

If this was to happen and we have 2 picks both players MUST and I mean MUST play AFL straight away no point playing them in the VFL looked what happened last year Edwards is still hear and jury is still out on him and Ham didn’t last.
We all knew what we were getting with Edwards, he was always going to be a project player.

I’d like an explanation as to why he isn’t filling the role that was described when he come across.

Playing next to Comben would’ve been huge for his development over the first couple of months of VFL footy.

With no disrespect meant to Lynch, I honestly have no idea what his role actually is or why he is on the rookie list?

He isn't playing to support the VFL juniors, our AFL forward line coaching wise is a complete mess, and he is still taking up a playing list spot?

What am I missing? (again, not having a go at Lynch personally or professionally I just don't understand and maybe it's my ignorance)

With no disrespect meant to Lynch, I honestly have no idea what his role actually is or why he is on the rookie list?

He isn't playing to support the VFL juniors, our AFL forward line coaching wise is a complete mess, and he is still taking up a playing list spot?

What am I missing? (again, not having a go at Lynch personally or professionally I just don't understand and maybe it's my ignorance)

So then his salary is counted as a player and not in of the football department soft cap. Basically a loophole that allowed the club to get another coach in - Port did the same thing with Tyson Goldsack last year.

So then his salary is counted as a player and not in of the football department soft cap. Basically a loophole that allowed the club to get another coach in - Port did the same thing with Tyson Goldsack last year.

Ok thank you. I appreciate that.

I guess my next question is - how on earth are the coaches we have over the soft cap if other teams aren't?

Surely Noble would be right at the bottom of the $$ scale (no disrespect just as a new/unproven coach), Blakey is reasonably high profile assistant I guess and the rest don't stand out to me at all.

Again then DocSholl, am I missing something? Is it simply because we have more coaches than other teams to invest in development etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to The accurate one we still have room in the soft cap which makes sense as there’s no way we have more coaches than others

So something has gone wrong here that we couldn’t maximise the soft cap

According to The accurate one we still have room in the soft cap which makes sense as there’s no way we have more coaches than others

So something has gone wrong here that we couldn’t maximise the soft cap
The soft cap was cut by a couple million dollars, and we had to get rid of a number of staff as a result. We've sacked 2 coaches, and overhauled our S&C staff including appointing another GM.

I highly doubt we aren't paying close to the soft cap limit currently, and but if we do have space then we simply don't have the cash. Both of which are highly plausible and lead to the same outcome - getting creative outside the cap.

Another dud appointment

The jury is out on edwards...Since when?

He's always been a project player.

The soft cap was cut by a couple million dollars, and we had to get rid of a number of staff as a result. We've sacked 2 coaches, and overhauled our S&C staff including appointing another GM.

I highly doubt we aren't paying close to the soft cap limit currently, and but if we do have space then we simply don't have the cash. Both of which are highly plausible and lead to the same outcome - getting creative outside the cap.

That's fine, but why is basically only us with this issue of using non-players on the playing list?

It affected the whole comp not just us?

I simply don't understand as we are in no position to be giving up any list spot as some type of luxury a top team might afford

That's fine, but why is basically only us with this issue of using non-players on the playing list?

It affected the whole comp not just us?

I simply don't understand as we are in no position to be giving up any list spot as some type of luxury a top team might afford
Port Adelaide has done it with Goldsack. Not every club has sacked two coaches and overhauled their entire footy dept.

Port Adelaide has done it with Goldsack. Not every club has sacked two coaches and overhauled their entire footy dept.

I know that as DocSholl advised me.

Maybe i'm not articulating what i'm saying properly. My apologies if so.

Yes we sacked coaches to fit in with the new "soft cap", I get it, but then every club would have had to do the same as it's an AFL wide issue, not a NMFC (or Port) issue to deal with.

Is it the payout cost of those decisions (including Scott and Shaw) that has meant we have Lynch as a player not a coach?

Yes we sacked coaches to fit in with the new "soft cap", I get it, but then every club would have had to do the same as it's an AFL wide issue, not a NMFC (or Port) issue to deal with.

Is it the payout cost of those decisions (including Scott and Shaw) that has meant we have Lynch as a player not a coach?
Payout off both those coaches would have finished last year and the year before so shouldn’t be affecting our cap this year

Not just that, a brand new SC dept including a new GM that works parallel to Brady. It costs big dollars and we are trying to be more competitive in footy dept spending. That's why I didn't think we would be refusing to spend all of the cap. Which either means we are being tight and not spending it, or decisions made by the club recently have led to us spending it in its entirety.

I also think there is degree of identifying a quality operator not long out the system who could come in and play a role in development, and that using an afl funded spot on the rookie list allows us an extra warm body on deck. As I said to RF earlier, we were looking pretty closely at Marty Hore. Goes well at VFL currently but he wouldn't have had made one difference to our onfield fortunes this year

As I said to RF earlier, we were looking pretty closely at Marty Hore. Goes well at VFL currently but he wouldn't have had made one difference to our onfield fortunes this year

McKay being ruled out for the next month might change that!

Marty Hore might not have changed a great deal, but in the very least, could have balanced a list that was way out of proportion with flank type players versus key position players.

Almost like for a situation we have experienced, where Bonar was playing on McKay and now Walker will be playing on Ben Brown this week?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back