Past #42: Tom Lynch - officially retires from the AFL as a player

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Makes sense.

Sign medium forward backup with Zurhaar, JHF, Stephenson, Thomas, Ford, Mahoney, Curtis Taylor, Spicer, Curtis, Turner all capable of playing forward. lol.

Can't ever remember going into a season so thin in a position as we are with key backs.

Comben might end up down there if we cop a few injuries.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Makes sense.

Sign medium forward backup with Zurhaar, JHF, Stephenson, Thomas, Ford, Mahoney, Curtis Taylor, Spicer, Curtis, Turner all capable of playing forward. lol.

Can't ever remember going into a season so thin in a position as we are with key backs.

Xerri going back to be a key defender would probably save his career

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Makes sense.

Makes sense to have an additional forward coach to mentor and develop those players listed lol

Makes sense.

Hore's not a KPD though. We've got plenty for his role.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well Ziebell was our best interceptor last year. Hore in 2019 averaged more interceptions than Ziebell did in 2021. Could be that the 2 years of injuries subsequent to 2019 have lowered his potential, of course. So it is possible the "proven" part of my claim was a misrepresentation. But based on the track watchers' comments here, he seems to still be moving pretty well.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would have preferred signing Hore ahead of Lynch.
I think if they had been really impressed with Hore they would have picked him up.

Lynch can plug into any part of the ground. Has played forward, back and wing. Has great endurance and has a strong AFL body for protecting the kids.

I reckon we should see the Lynch signing as a show of faith in our current list and an investment into their development rather than a Lynch v Hore situation. Otherwise I think you’re right Lynch as good as he is won’t be part of any finals tilt - we’re years off that and he will be too old.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would have preferred signing Hore ahead of Lynch.
I would have preferred half a dozen other players over lynch.
Its not like his experience can't transfer from the bench or during training etc.
If we didn't have Comben coming through, CCJ just signed under the pretence that he'll play seniors or a half decent forward line I'd say sign him if he can keep up the quality of football he played against us in rd23. Otherwise its just a wasted spot/soft cap dodge.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Depth is cool, but I would’ve preferred we got a few kids who went undrafted to train with us in the evening we could’ve found a diamond in the rough. Especially so, because the young kids have had interrupted seasons over the past two years.

Let's be honest here the SSP is scrapheap not a goldmine, just have to look at the players that have been picked up through the SSP over the last few years.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I think if they had been really impressed with Hore they would have picked him up.

Lynch can plug into any part of the ground. Has played forward, back and wing. Has great endurance and has a strong AFL body for protecting the kids.

I reckon we should see the Lynch signing as a show of faith in our current list and an investment into their development rather than a Lynch v Hore situation. Otherwise I think you’re right Lynch as good as he is won’t be part of any finals tilt - we’re years off that and he will be too old.
I just think Hore better suits our needs, as a mature, decent sized defender. We are thin for such stocks.

We have no shortage of players who can play the Lynch role (either on the wing, half forward or off half back) and have the talent to play it better than him.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just think Hore better suits our needs, as a mature, decent sized defender. We are thin for such stocks.

We have no shortage of players who can play the Lynch role (either on the wing, half forward or off half back) and have the talent to play it better than him.
I would argue that apart from larkey, lynch would be our only real established key tall forward.
Sure we have younger guys coming through; CCJ, Comben and Xerri but nobody really established if s**t hits the fan during one of Zurhaars cooking adventures and a few of the younger guys go down.
I've been harsh on the guy in the past on here but I can understand the pick as an absolute last resort cover decision.
We're not expecting him to play every game or even a handful but it's probably the difference between having 3rd party and full comprehensive insurance.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I rate Lynch really highly. He got squeezed out of that Adelaide team because of age and injury. They’ve got experience enough where they had him. He’d be best 22 if we were gunning for a flag in the next 2 years.

I think you’ll find he won’t be picked ahead of guys we really like long term but might be used to give them a chop out should they need time in the twos. Could also be used to support those guys if we’re getting beaten up a bit playing too many kids.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He was recruited to circumvent the soft cap primarily as a coach. So the assessments on his competition for a spot isn't as relevant. But let's be honest here, if any of our mid sized forwards put numbers out like Tom did last year we would be absolutely creaming ourselves. He can play, but is here to coach

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I would argue that apart from larkey, lynch would be our only real established key tall forward.
Sure we have younger guys coming through; CCJ, Comben and Xerri but nobody really established if sh*t hits the fan during one of Zurhaars cooking adventures and a few of the younger guys go down.
I've been harsh on the guy in the past on here but I can understand the pick as an absolute last resort cover decision.
We're not expecting him to play every game or even a handful but it's probably the difference between having 3rd party and full comprehensive insurance.

Lynch is not a key forward. He is a third tall link up half forward/wingman

Back