Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep - but surely can confirm if knee injury or broken leg.

That's been confirmed, but the club still requires a proper diagnosis and recovery estimation in order to properly inform us, wouldn't you think?

That's been confirmed, but the club still requires a proper diagnosis and recovery estimation in order to properly inform us, wouldn't you think?
Of course but is it knee or broken leg? Both still being reported. Don't need the ins and outs of a ducks bum at this stage but general anatomy area affected would be good.

Club are probably waiting for a proper medical analysis. Same goes for Higgo.

Which may suggest that it is not a break for Hall as that would have resulted in immediate treatment. Something like a dislocated kneecap may be the best outcome. Incredibly painful at the time (I know from experience) but nowhere near the recovery time of a break or ACL/PCL.

Which may suggest that it is not a break for Hall as that would have resulted in immediate treatment. Something like a dislocated kneecap may be the best outcome. Incredibly painful at the time (I know from experience) but nowhere near the recovery time of a break or ACL/PCL.
Every time I hear dislocated knee cap an image of Darren the credit card Cresswell comes to mind! Slapping his own knee back into place! Brutal!

Aaron Hall is on the back end of his career, my criticism comes from my observation and what Ive seen from Aaron this year does NOT compare to his stellar year in 2016, its no where near it! He has one last opportunity to work hard and get back to some form, perhaps a new coach can get him back to his best but he’s a lap down from where he is at now! If his mental health isnt in the spot it needs to be then he will never get back to his best because it will be a tough long hard road back! Happy to be proven wrong but Majak is the only one that has thus far!

Fair enough.

I think it is in our best interests to get his mental health on track if it helps him regain the form he had in 2016. I try not to give up on things either if I can see some value in them and I can with him playing near his best footy for us. We've got the best out of most of the older players we have brought in so I don't see why we can't do this with him.

If Aaron has mental health issues then he can just go see a doctor/psychologist like the rest of us.

His new employer is under no special obligation to facilitate this, other than allowing him the free time to engage in his treatment, just because they happen to be an AFL football club. The club is also under no obligation to afford him special contractual considerations. We're not a charity.

Buyer beware! No Tyre Kickers! Lol the wellbeing for players should fall on the AFL, they are essentially profiting from the players and if players are walking out of GC an AFL franchise with deteriorating MH condition then they should be providing, if not all, majority of the support to get this person right.. so you believe we should (post career) provide him on going support?

I agree with the bolded for sure. But the club, the board and the footy department and to a degree the members are all leaders as far as the players go. they play for north and by extension us.

They are our responsibility. That is leadership. Proper leadership. We should exhibit it. You look after your people and he is one of us. This isn't a purely business arrangement. We expect our players to put their physical well being on the line for us because it means something. He has and he has done it to the point he's sustained a major injury. Sure he is doing it for himself as well but supporting a footy club or playing for one is way more complicated a relationship than a purely business one.

Last edited:
If Aaron has mental health issues then he can just go see a doctor/psychologist like the rest of us.

His new employer is under no special obligation to facilitate this, other than allowing him the free time to engage in his treatment, just because they happen to be an AFL football club. The club is also under no obligation to afford him special contractual considerations. We're not a charity.

Its not about business obligations its about getting the best performance out of your people.

That is a fundamentally different thing.

If you want people to put themselves on the line for you, and more to the point to hold the line under enormous odds, when all seems lost and whatever else then you have to make them want to do that for you.

You have to inspire them, motivate them to and you have to make them believe in doing it whatever the cost.

One of the ways to do that and make it stick, to imprint it on someone, is to be there for them when they need it and help them work thru their own mental health issues and come out the other side stronger, better, more capable and more resilient.

Do this with talented people at every opportunity and it will reward you as those people give back what they feel they owe you.

Not monetary owing either - it becomes an honour and integrity thing for them. Its what makes men. Real men. Real women too from what I've seen.

And imo those things are as important as anything else when you have a footy team.

Players with honour and integrity will give you everything they have.

Its not about business obligations its about getting the best performance out of your people.

That is a fundamentally different thing.

A football club is under no greater obligation than any other entity. Of course some investment will go in to assisting Aaron(if he actually has issues), based upon a smart business aspect and just decent humanitarian principles, but ultimately the club must make market driven decisions. It's not as if we can keep a player around for 5 years to sweep the floors.

You also need to factor that playing football has a limited time line ferby. I expect Aaron to arrive at round 1 2020 ready to play football.,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF and a big IF he does have mental issues then great chance now to go home to Tassie, rest his leg up to heal, and get his support network back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back