gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
What do you guys think so far?
I saw about 20 possessions with 7 contested a goal but at 55% efficiency on the afl app for the match.
Seems a pretty typical hall game stats wise.
Looking like a useful addition for your team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I saw about 20 possessions with 7 contested a goal but at 55% efficiency on the afl app for the match.

Happy with his output from limited game time over the 2 games.

6 clearances, 5 rebounds & 4 inside 50's yesterday showed he can bring the type of play we badly require between the arcs. He'll be even more damaging at Docklands.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He really hasn't played all that much in both JLT games and he still makes an impact in a short amount of time.
Very happy with how well he's gone considering the situation and its evident he can give more with more game time.

Looks very useful, he's incredibly damaging through the guts which is exactly why we got him, to burst through the middle. The only player that can do that is LDU who will need time to do it more often and quicker. But Hall has the skill from the get go to do what you need.

Plus he's brought a wealth of experience to teach our younger blokes in the middle how to get results fast, he's a boon for us. Going to have a great season.

He really hasn't played all that much in both JLT games and he still makes an impact in a short amount of time.
Very happy with how well he's gone considering the situation and its evident he can give more with more game time.

Looks very useful, he's incredibly damaging through the guts which is exactly why we got him, to burst through the middle. The only player that can do that is LDU who will need time to do it more often and quicker. But Hall has the skill from the get go to do what you need.

Plus he's brought a wealth of experience to teach our younger blokes in the middle how to get results fast, he's a boon for us. Going to have a great season.

Yep. And well said.

He probably went out on the weekend still harbouring a few doubts about how his knee would hold up, and he was coming of a week that saw him battling a bout of gastro, and a dose of conjunctivitis to boot. Taking that into account, he actually exceeded my expectations. Even running around in second gear as he (and quite a few others) appeared to be, he was still able to top the clearances for us (equal with Ahern), and give us a taster of what he will bring to the side. Slotted a nice goal, too. People looking for positives to draw from our second JLT hitout should definitely be adding Hall's solid showing to that list.

I really liked what I saw of him yesterday. Quality player.

Due to their relentless ineptitude, his time at the Suns was misleading.

We've made out like bandits here. Won't take long for people to realise they've severely underestimated the ceiling on this guy.

Yep. And well said.

He probably went out on the weekend still harbouring a few doubts about how his knee would hold up, and he was coming of a week that saw him battling a bout of gastro, and a dose of conjunctivitis to boot. Taking that into account, he actually exceeded my expectations. Even running around in second gear as he (and quite a few others) appeared to be, he was still able to top the clearances for us (equal with Ahern), and give us a taster of what he will bring to the side. Slotted a nice goal, too. People looking for positives to draw from our second JLT hitout should definitely be adding Hall's solid showing to that list.

We've made out like bandits here. Won't take long for people to realise they've severely underestimated the ceiling on this guy.

I reckon you're spot on here TOD. He seems to be doing plenty with very little game time and not much in the way of a healthy run at things. We love comparing to Waite and it took him a few rounds to feel like he "belonged" at the new club. I have a feeling Hall will be an okay pickup for the first few rounds and half way through the year he'll be smashing it.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Yep. And well said.

I don’t think suns fans underestimated his upside.
There was no doubt he can be a legit game winner. He was leading Brownlow voting early in the year a couple of years ago.

The suns thought his main deficiencies were his poor defensive running and lack of coachability, apparently wasn’t liked well amongst the playing group as well. No doubt that he can be selfish with the ball on field.

The fact that those deficiencies were more detrimental than his attributes positive to the point that the suns didn’t offer him another contract and essentially dumped him for nothing are pretty disappointing but that’s how it ended.

For the club to pluck him from obscurity but still not feel any need to stick with him is interesting. Although different football staff who probably had no connection to him.

Will be interested in seeing whether you guys can turn him into the player he has the potential to be.

I’ll hate being on the opposing side of a running 55m bomb.

Although I’ll hope that lachie Weller can get one on him going the other way!

I don’t think suns fans underestimated his upside.
There was no doubt he can be a legit game winner. He was leading Brownlow voting early in the year a couple of years ago.

The suns thought his main deficiencies were his poor defensive running and lack of coachability, apparently wasn’t liked well amongst the playing group as well. No doubt that he can be selfish with the ball on field.

The fact that those deficiencies were more detrimental than his attributes positive to the point that the suns didn’t offer him another contract and essentially dumped him for nothing are pretty disappointing but that’s how it ended.

For the club to pluck him from obscurity but still not feel any need to stick with him is interesting. Although different football staff who probably had no connection to him.

Will be interested in seeing whether you guys can turn him into the player he has the potential to be.

I’ll hate being on the opposing side of a running 55m bomb.

Although I’ll hope that lachie Weller can get one on him going the other way!

He's certainly a bit of an enigma. We are all pretty optimistic and excited that we have a chance to get the most out of someone who clearly has crazy skills.

Hopefully he too is excited, and he now has a seat at the Last Chance Saloon to capitalise on those skills.

A little more maturity, a few more games and a couple of thousands kms closer to family with regular games in his home town might be just the trick!!

Fingers crossed we see that 55 m bomb:)

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Probably hasn't kicked the ball as well as I expected him too yet, but it's still early. That might also have something to do with the expectation too. For some reason I thought he kicking skills were Polec-esque, but I might have been wrong.

Otherwise he looked very promising against Port.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably hasn't kicked the ball as well as I expected him too yet, but it's still early. That might also have something to do with the expectation too. For some reason I thought he kicking skills were Polec-esque, but I might have been wrong.

Otherwise he looked very promising against Port.
His kicking has always been hit and miss. What is real is that he has great penetration and can really kick a bomb on the run.

His kicking has always been hit and miss. What is real is that he has great penetration and can really kick a bomb on the run.

Which is all that has been required for our game plan with three talls up front, until now.

Now we have a situation where our forward line doesn’t really have the talls for a long entry but nor does it have the smalls to lock the ball in either.

That’s a crap forward setup

I appreciate that the phrase 'hit and miss' is open to interpretation, and as such I don't want to seem like I'm debating the length of a piece of string here, but I feel his disposal by foot is maybe a shade better than that (as per my interpretation of the aforementioned phrase). If you compare him to a couple of Mids whose disposal is generally rated around here - say, Higgins and Dumont - in Hall's last "full" (played 19 games) season in 2017, he pipped both of them wrt the DE% numbers they posted for the 2018 season. Not saying that's the final word on the matter by any means, but for a guy that plays footy at the breakneck pace that Hall does, it's a fair effort. Those long, penetrating kicks are a very handy weapon in his arsenal, but in the past he's also proven himself to be quite proficient at hitting up targets at short-range, too.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Aaron Hall

All players to wear No.43
Sam Gibson (2012-17) 130 games
Marcus White (2010) 2 games
Matt Campbell (2007) 13 games
Justin Perkins (2005) 4 games
Jeremy Clayton (2003) 5 games
John Longmire (1988) 11 games
Jamie Stevenson (1987) 7 games
Donald McDonald (1982) 8 games
John Duthie (1971-72) 7 games

Aaron Hall is North player No.1013
Player 13 – Bill McIntosh (1925) 6 games
Player 113 – Frank Wells (1930-35) 37 games
Player 213 – Arthur Duncan (1936) 3 games
Player 313 – Kevin Dynon (1943-54) 149 games
Player 413 – Lindsay Baglin (1949) 4 games
Player 513 – Ron Mills (1959-60) 8 games
Player 613 – David Pretty (1969-73) 58 games
Player 713 – Mario Turco (1980-82) 9 games
Player 813 – Justin Staritski (1991-92) 29 games
Player 913 – Lance Picioane (2005) 15 games

Alphabetically he comes between
David Hale (2003-10) 129 games
Dick Hallo (1964) 8 games

Last 10 Aarons to play for North
Aaron Edwards (2007-12) 78 games
Aaron Mullett (2011-17) 85 games
Aaron Black (2011-15) 50 games

All A.H. initials to play for North
Arthur Hutchinson (1926) 4 games
Alf Hacker (1936-43) 24 games
Arch Hamilton (1942) 1 game
Athol Hodgetts (1971-72) 9 games

All players to play for Gold Coast and North
Daniel Harris (2001-09) 149 games
Taylor Hine (2013) 14 games
Dan Currie (2014) 4 games
Joel Tippett (2014-15) 7 games

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had a great first term, including that run on the wing for LDU’s goal and the give and go with Scott on the opposite wing. Dropped off after QT.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
that run was electrifying. i thought we were up and about then lol.

however apart from that i thought hall was terrible.

I appreciate that the phrase 'hit and miss' is open to interpretation, and as such I don't want to seem like I'm debating the length of a piece of string here, but I feel his disposal by foot is maybe a shade better than that (as per my interpretation of the aforementioned phrase). If you compare him to a couple of Mids whose disposal is generally rated around here - say, Higgins and Dumont - in Hall's last "full" (played 19 games) season in 2017, he pipped both of them wrt the DE% numbers they posted for the 2018 season. Not saying that's the final word on the matter by any means, but for a guy that plays footy at the breakneck pace that Hall does, it's a fair effort. Those long, penetrating kicks are a very handy weapon in his arsenal, but in the past he's also proven himself to be quite proficient at hitting up targets at short-range, too.

P.S. But history shows that his disposal by foot can be a little shaky in Round 1 games. :stern look

Had a great first term, including that run on the wing for LDU’s goal and the give and go with Scott on the opposite wing. Dropped off after QT.

Spent a lot of his time chasing tail after that. And in this instance I actually mean it as a compliment. As some other astute poster (Mixed Results, iirc) observed in another thread, he was the most pro-active of our Mids when it came to defensive application and two-way running. And although the numbers weren't great, he also co-topped the tackle count for us.

But yeah, the masochistic part of my brain somehow convinced the more rational parts of my brain to brave the replay, and Hall appeared to be the best of the Mids when it came to dropping back and trying to provide some cover for the under-seige Backline. Tyson next after that. Which again presents as another case of the noobs setting a better example than the established Mids in a fairly ****ing vital aspect of the game, particularly when your side is getting smashed around the park.

Saying all that, it won't be performance that he'll be putting in his resume. Relatively speaking (and with Bigfooty hyperbole omitted), he was probably somewhere around the middle of the pack in terms of performance.

And yes, the run-and-bounce was all kinds of excellent.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Poor structure and bad positioning and poor form as a collective team didn't allow this bloke to do what he does best. Run & carry.

The only guy delivering him some service is LDU when they overlap runs out of a clearance, other than that he had to find his own way in and other than a few moments he was completely shut out of the game because of the breakdown of gameplan.

To say he was 'terrible' is a tremendously bad call. He was fine, problem didn't lie with him.

Back