Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Commentators were quick to mention how he was a scrapheap pick discarded by Gold Coast.

Sure, but more like one of those Dubai scrapheaps where you wander through and pick up a Ferrari with slightly tatty seats for 10k.

Reason he was on the outer at GC wasn't through lack of talent or intent.

Aug 3, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did exactly what we got him for and it was bloody fun to watch.

It was a shame he drifted out of the game second half. At times like that I’d love to see him thrown in the centre square to mix it up and get him involved, particularly if Higgo is having a spell. His size and burst would scare a lot of teams at the stoppage. I think it was a trait he alluded to himself in preseason.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If that is how hard he is going to run defensively and impact contests, he’s going to earn a lot of respect very quickly in my book
His defensive efforts were fantastic, was harassing and putting pressure on far more often than guys like Simpkin and Atley who's selection is justified on that basis

Hall was a delight to watch yesterday. I haven’t seen that sort of excitement since Wellsy in his prime. On top of that, he gets more of the ball than Wells did, even though our midfield was flogged. Obviously, he doesn’t use the ball as well as Daniel did, but still...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
His defensive efforts were fantastic, was harassing and putting pressure on far more often than guys like Simpkin and Atley who's selection is justified on that basis
Yeah, this. I thought this was almost even more impressive than his incredible attacking output because it's the thing that's been a knock on him. Very heartening to see him chase and pressure as hard as he did.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was excited to get this guy in, thought he has a lot to offer, so far happy with what he is showing.
frustrating how all the new recruits are showing something yet our guys have gone the other way.

I reckon Hally should attend more centre bounces, as the "burst" option, Higgins tried a couple yesterday, first one fell flat on his face, 2nd ran 25m without taking a bounce, the way the new 6-6-6 rule is going, centre clearance = goal/easy shot most of the time, we need more pace in there to offset Cunners lack of it, ideally Jacobs or Jed in there to to be the defensive component.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Game High 6 tackles for us today.

He is holding up his end of the bargain with his work rate but is getting let down by the blokes around him.

The amount of times he wasn’t utilised by our half backs was appalling. So much gut running gone unrewarded.

Why isn’t he attending any centre bounces? We could sure use a bit more of a dynamic mix in there at the moment

I genuinely felt sorry for him running too far without a bounce, every time he looked forwards or sideways for a viable option to pass to, nada, even Tammy Watson remarked how all our forwards were running forwards and not doubling back to provide a target, i mean, Hall can occsionally hit targets when they present, unlike quite a few of his team mates.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Exactly what we needed. Back when we monstered contested ball, had a strong tall forward line and just need a little cherry on top. It's actually sad watching him shine amongst this s**t.

He must be wrapt with his choice. Did he have any other suitors?

deano28

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne victory , aussie cricket
Exactly what we needed. Back when we monstered contested ball, had a strong tall forward line and just need a little cherry on top. It's actually sad watching him shine amongst this s**t.

He must be wrapt with his choice. Did he have any other suitors?
He definitely had more suitors , there were 2 others that I know of .

Back