Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

I counted at least 7 clangers from Hall.

He had 5.

Higgins had 7, Jed and Azza next in line with 5 each.

I suspect (hope) last night was an outlier and not the norm.

He went around at 80% the previous week. He was generally clean against the Lions, a little wayward against the Dockers.

This team has been screaming out for players with some burst speed and attacking flair. Currently sits equal 3rd for goal assists. IMO, what he adds to the side in the aforementioned departments comfortably offsets some occasionally shaky disposal.

So I'd say not so much 'outlier' as 'not an issue worth spending any great amount of time on'.

Also worth restating that - of the players who have played 3+ games this season - he leads the side for tackles. Whether people think that's a case of the knocks on the defensive side of his game being overstated, or him making an effort to work on his deficiencies in that area, it's a(nother) positive sign.

The fact that we got him for nothing puts us, and him, way in front on the ledger at this point in time.

Falkroo

All Australian
Mar 9, 2005
On The Murray
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
He just seemed to be trying to bite off too much yardage the other night, a couple of steps less each time and there'd been less pressure on his disposal. Just a minor tweak, i think all will be fine, he'll be more good than bad over the entire season.

I’ve been really happy with him so far
He may be a little too proactive but I think he’s been trying to provide a spark for what has been a very sterile midfield so far this year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mate, the run & intensity were good, but you had better tidy up that foot disposal PRONTO!
Was it Hall's fault or was our teamwork not quite being in sync?
There were a couple of occasions where he split the opposition open, but he was left without an option because the players forward of him were slow to react. Yet as others have mentioned perhaps he tried to extend himself a little too far.
Either way, he has been a real positive addition to the club, and he is going to provide a lot of excitement over the next few seasons.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I suspect (hope) last night was an outlier and not the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was an issue for 100 games with us.
Some games are better than others.
Don’t thinks he’s suddenly going to turn into josh Kelly.
Just got to hope the good outweighs the bad and your board seems to think it mostly does which is positive.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with Tef. His kicking was poor. Took wrong options and shanked a few too. I am backing him to improve substantially on that though. I also agree with Devo in that I'm not sure he's on the same wavelength as the rest of the guys (no knock on Hall there) as we've never played with someone like him before!

I'm loving what Adam is bringing to the team. Yes his kicking and disposal needs a bit of cleaning up but the way he takes the game on and can explode is something we need and looks sensational when he gets it right.

He should improve once the rest of the team are used to playing with him.

susurrar

All Australian
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he kept running too far and getting his kick affected by the guy pressing up on him. it was like he was trying too hard to use his run. had one awesome kick but the rest were pretty bad. he wasnt this bad in the other games.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
he kept running too far and getting his kick affected by the guy pressing up on him. it was like he was trying too hard to use his run. had one awesome kick but the rest were pretty bad. he wasnt this bad in the other games.

Yep, must have had 3 to 4 kicks smothered when he had enough time to execute a kick properly.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Too focused on being proactive, taking the game on and kicking. Sometimes a simple hand ball to a player in a better position is all that’s needed. Still, love the intent - and sometimes it pays off!

That's a pretty good take on it now you say it. He seems a pretty switched on guy and seemed to be taking a coach directive of "use your strengths" too literally so was just running and kicking at times a bit too readily.

Not a big problem just didn't click for him on the night. Is a jet and could be huge if/when he falls in place within our lineup.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR

Running too far is generally a result of lack of options/movements ahead of the play.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is gut running defensively more than just about every other midfielder. He was involved in some pressure acts on the weekend across half back that resulted in goals.

I watched him alot when he played for GC and this part of his game was non-existent.

That's the biggest positive for me in what I've seen so far.

The offensive run and carry and distribution will sort it self out.

One query I have is why the * he isn't being used more in the centre stoppages. Whenever Higgins isn't in there, Hall should be.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How much knee strapping does it take before it starts to affect your kicking? Reckon Aaron is on the way to finding out.

Back