Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroo recruit Aaron Hall says he is finally getting on top of mystery throat issue
Glenn McFarlane, Exclusive, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

North Melbourne’s Aaron Hall has revealed how a serious throat issue left him struggling to breathe and close to fainting during games across the past 18 months.

Speaking to the Herald Sun ahead of today’s Good Friday clash against Essendon, Hall said he had recently been diagnosed with vocal chord dysfunction — an abnormal narrowing of the larynx — which saw him not getting enough oxygen during matches, causing early fatigue.

6830f9d59c8b270b3c6542d7f0352777
Aaron Hall has revealed he has battled a mystery throat issue over the past 18 months. Picture: AAP

He has since been receiving treatment to strengthen his vocal chords, resulting in him feeling fresher in last week’s win over Adelaide.
“It is a really sharp pain down in your throat, you are wheezing and not getting enough oxygen,” Hall, an asthmatic, said of the feelings he couldn’t shake in his last two years with Gold Coast.

“When you go to breathe, your vocal chords expand, and mine don’t when I get fatigued.
“It happens generally in the first quarter and I can’t get enough oxygen and struggle to breathe. I feel like I am going to topple over and faint.”

His condition was a mystery that was only resolved nine days ago, to his great relief.

“I am so glad we found the problem,” he said.

“AFL footy is already hard enough, let alone going into it not being able to breathe (properly).
“I base my game on my repeat speed and my second and third efforts, that’s my trademark, then when you get to the games, your legs are fine, but you feel like you need to close your eyes and faint.”

Hall has played four games for the Kangaroos since joining the club from Gold Coast at the end of last season.

He is confident the work he is now doing on his breathing will help take his game to the next level.

“It was heaps better last week,” he said of the clash with the Crows, which came only a few days after his diagnosis.

“I’m hoping that continues for the rest of my career now.

“It is like doing rehab for a strained muscle … they have given me new breathing techniques while someone is having a shot on goal; while the bounce of the ball is happening; and while I am on the bench.”

Hall will play in the Good Friday clash for the first time in his 107-game AFL career — even though playing on Good Friday represents a challenge, given his devotion to Christianity.

But the 28-year-old never considered not playing today, and is looking forward to the challenge of taking on the Bombers at Marvel Stadium.

“When you are in a professional sporting environment, instead of looking at the politics side of things, I just try to embrace it,” he said.

“I will go about my day (on Good Friday), and on Sunday morning, I’ll take the family to church.

b6aca86b3e9611d69eb9a28f35f3cf29
Hall struggled with his breathing for much of his time on the Gold Coast. Picture: Getty Images

“I am a believer. What I appreciated when I first came to the faith was the non-judgemental (aspect), the grace and the love that has come with it. In anything that I am in, I use that to embrace anyone in the world.”

Hall said the Kangaroos are primed for a big performance today, with the group’s chemistry getting stronger by the week.

“We got our season kickstarted (last week),” he said. “We need to take that into the game against Essendon. It really is a big day for the club.”

He's probably been hanging out with ferby & his Bonobo's

Me and him do okay. We're both from Hobart and have a parent from Fiji. He's always up for a chat (the twice I've seen him.)

Hope his breathing exercises aren't messing with his kicking tho.

I've noticed his reduced output during 2nd halves this season... Thought it was quite obvious actually... And simply put it down to fitness. It still might be, but is probably a side-effect from this issue... So hopefully that can be better managed now.

It's pretty remarkable that he's able to play as well as he does given that he's got this breathing issue he's been contending with. My hat's well and truly off to him. Amazing guy to be able to burst as fast as he does with the ball in hand when he can't actually breath and is in pain. Really hoping the vocal exercises work ( I want singing from the bench between time on!) because imagine what he could be if he was 100%! Just, wow. All credit to him, and if it was North doctors who found this, well then credit to them too. We certainly get more than our fair share of bizarre afflictions.

Anyway, so good to know he's on top of it now. Bring on the hydrofoil!

Thanks for that Snake_Baker - I have saved that to my dropbox account and can't wait for an opportunity to try it out. Next time I am at Maccas and a kid is choking on a mouthful of (looks like) chicken nugget I will jump in, demand a clean drinking straw and their sharpest knife, and become an urban legend.

I've noticed his reduced output during 2nd halves this season... Thought it was quite obvious actually... And simply put it down to fitness. It still might be, but is probably a side-effect from this issue... So hopefully that can be better managed now.

Yeah it does explain the way he's dropped out of games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was running hard defensively in the first 3 rounds, his tackling numbers were up.

Since then it’s been a serious decline. Front running, no defensive running and his skills have been terrible.

I was excited by the recruitment but early signs suggest this is a big bust.

The other huge downside is that he is playing in dumont’s favoured position which is impacting Froggy’s output.

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He relies on his athleticism/speed to get space rather than awareness and agility ala Cunners. To me it looks like at the moment he's struggling with his body and is often sore, which in turn leads to some scrappy disposal in congestion when he is unable to burst and create space.

Considering how much he was struggling at times today I thought he pushed through well to end with what statistically looked like a well rounded game (20 tpuches, 4 tackles, 2.1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back