Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely this is right. Duncan seems to be getting defended by the media but I thought you had to accept the consequences of your actions irrespective of whether it was considered accidental. It was also adjudicated appallingly and the umps deserve to be hauled over the coals for that but probably won’t be because North.

I think it relates solely to the bump. If you deliberately choose to make body on body contact then you bear the consequences of the outcome. For other actions like a smother, it is accepted as a footballing incident. It was similar when Taylor was knocked out with a knee to the head.

I think it relates solely to the bump. If you deliberately choose to make body on body contact then you bear the consequences of the outcome. For other actions like a smother, it is accepted as a footballing incident. It was similar when Taylor was knocked out with a knee to the head.
Looks like he chose to bump to me

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It wasn't a bump. It's the specific action of electing to bump that the AFL are cracking down on, not players being concussed in others aspects of the game.

Hope Hall is alright, he is having a great season.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this - if all players have to do is jump in the air and turn their backs to 'legitimately' knock someone out, it might become very popular

Duck the GOAT

Senior List
Apr 5, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not sure I agree with you on this - if all players have to do is jump in the air and turn their backs to 'legitimately' knock someone out, it might become very popular
Context is important. He was clearly going for the smother. How many times a year do you see a player go for the smother turn his back mid air and KO the kicker? Further yet if as you say, players will adopt it as a tool to hit someone late, all they will achieve is risking a downfield free.
Until it starts happening weekly - take it for what it is. Downfield free. End of story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have taken the free over the report so so annoyed this happened he was playing so well. how is it we have forwards that arent confident to kick from 40 meters out directly in front that need to dish off

It wasn't a bump. It's the specific action of electing to bump that the AFL are cracking down on, not players being concussed in others aspects of the game.

Hope Hall is alright, he is having a great season.

I can't see any reason why Duncan should be cited for attempting to spoil a shot at goal. The thing that should be looked at is the incompetence of the umpires in failing to pay a downfield free. Surely that warranted a free in the goal square.

I hope Aaron is okay and this does not affect him, because he was starting to play some really good football.

Really ******* annoyed he's out for 12 days because he's been brilliant the last couple of weeks. Looks like he's finally started to enjoy his footy and have it all click together.
I felt really sorry for him. Finally getting consistent games in the 1's and then that happens. Changed the whole momentum of the game.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I felt really sorry for him. Finally getting consistent games in the 1's and then that happens. Changed the whole momentum of the game.

I remember when later he was ruled out and had the jacket on, sitting on the bench and the colour was just gone from his face, looked pale and most of all; looked really despondent and miserable.

Hope this doesn't deter Hally's efforts, because he's doing everything right so far and he can bounce back in.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Game changing non decision imo. Clearly after the kick and certainly a kick downfield. Anyway .....
Cruel sport. Azza was having a ripping game. Hopefully the concussion doesn't affect his continuity too much because I think he'll earn another contract if he continues his form off HB.
Free kick? Surely. Cunnington ended up at the tribunal for less.
Not sure even the most one eyed geelong supporter would claim it shouldn't have been a free. They might try to argue it shouldn't be downfield in the square though...
I'd like to see Duncan cited for the hit to be honest. It was a reckless use of the body that was well late.
Clearly late, high, high impact and yes - it was reckless. Has all of the attributes to be cited.

Downfield free was absolutely the mimimum that MUST have been paid. There were three umpires on the ground and not one of them saw fit to pay it as downfield.

For those who say it was a smother and not a bump: Duncan did not use a smothering action. He ran at Hall, turned his back and launched into Hall with both feet off the ground. That is not a smother nor is it a shepherd (which would not be legal in that instance anyway). It was a deliberate charge aimed at causing injury. Sure, it's a contact sport but nobody should have to expect some other bloke battering into them the way that Duncan did.

Cunnington was suspended from an incident in a preseason match a couple of seasons back when he stopped and another bloke ran into him.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clearly late, high, high impact and yes - it was reckless. Has all of the attributes to be cited.

Downfield free was absolutely the mimimum that MUST have been paid. There were three umpires on the ground and not one of them saw fit to pay it as downfield.

For those who say it was a smother and not a bump: Duncan did not use a smothering action. He ran at Hall, turned his back and launched into Hall with both feet off the ground. That is not a smother nor is it a shepherd (which would not be legal in that instance anyway). It was a deliberate charge aimed at causing injury. Sure, it's a contact sport but nobody should have to expect some other bloke battering into them the way that Duncan did.

Cunnington was suspended from an incident in a preseason match a couple of seasons back when he stopped and another bloke ran into him.

It was also far more reckless than what Durds was suspended for when Gary Rohan basically ran into him but I still expect the fool Christian to wave it through with a "nothing to see here" platitude.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

anybody who runs into Cunners deserves protection

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Something I thought I'd never see.......posters shattered that Aaron Hall is not available next week!

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Negligent, high contact, impact severe.

Under AFL regs Duncan should go. So lets see how they explain the upcoming non-suspension away.
By my reckoning (and based on the timer at the bottom of the screen) the contact came a full 2 seconds after Hall had disposed of ball...

1618822940150.png

1618822795731.png

1618823617499.png

1618822875708.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back