Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kudos.

Changes of role for both Hall and Turner have been terrific so far.
Not only Hall and Turner but also Atu, Bonar, Ziebell, Stephenson, Phillips and Lazzaro are playing in relatively new roles at present. On the whole these guys are doing well in those roles and I think a key reason for our improving form is that they are becoming familiar with their new roles. Long may it continue!

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not only Hall and Turner but also Atu, Bonar, Ziebell, Stephenson, Phillips and Lazzaro are playing in relatively new roles at present. On the whole these guys are doing well in those roles and I think a key reason for our improving form is that they are becoming familiar with their new roles. Long may it continue!

Not changing the game plan to suit players, forcing players to adapt their game to play the style we want to play.

Who’d have thought!

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some hilarious revisionism going on here.

Are people aware that North are 0-7 with 49%, or is it just that standards around here have slipped that low?

I don’t see how expectations couldn’t have changed this year - Senior players on injury list, New coach, learning a new game plan, extensive list changes last year, quite a few positional changes, a high number of players under 20 games playing every week...

0-7 when we have played some quality sides, isn’t meltdown territory for me. Expecting anymore then regular improvement (which we absolutely are), doesn’t really make sense either.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I don’t see how expectations couldn’t have changed this year - Senior players on injury list, New coach, learning a new game plan, extensive list changes last year, quite a few positional changes, a high number of players under 20 games playing every week...

0-7 when we have played some quality sides, isn’t meltdown territory for me. Expecting anymore then regular improvement (which we absolutely are), doesn’t really make sense either.

You're turd polishing mate, and we're just not going to reach a consensus with this.

Scottroo

Premiership Player
Mar 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Are people aware that North are 0-7 with 49%, or is it just that standards around here have slipped that low?

what were you expecting?

If someone told me mid year we’d be in games for a long time, including against the ladder leaders and the cats down in Geelong, with no Tarrant, Anderson, Polec, Dumont, Corr and a few others I would of laughed at them. We are tracking absolutely above my expectations.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
what were you expecting?

If someone told me mid year we’d be in games for a long time, including against the ladder leaders and the cats down in Geelong, with no Tarrant, Anderson, Polec, Dumont, Corr and a few others I would of laughed at them. We are tracking absolutely above my expectations.
After the Dogs game I didn't think we'd get within 10 goals of those sides. The performances against Geelong and Melbourne were really encouraging in regards to what it could look like in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Gee I would be interested to know what positional changes you think we could have made which would have changed those results given our fixture and the current injury list.

Hall has been good.

Not sure if Ziebs would have offered much more in the front half or on the ball.
Turner has improved.
Powell has done well.
Even in a top team a goal-kicking winger is gold.
Atu has been much more reliable than Hayden and better by foot than Williams was
Boner has become more than OK in the back half. No coincidence that Melbourne started to get away from us when he went off.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Hall has been good.

Hall was already good, it's just that the resident illiterates weren't aware of that.

Not sure if Ziebs would have offered much more in the front half or on the ball.

This has been a good move.

Turner has improved.

Turner's just doing what he always did, but it's in the midfield now. Credit for that aspect, but he hasn't made Kayne a better player.

Powell has done well.

The 6 weeks he spent with Noble must have had a devastating effect.

Atu has been much more reliable than Hayden and better by foot than Williams was

Atu is currently a defender in a 0-7 team because 4 other defenders are injured, and another has been swapped to a wing.

So basically, he's currently the 10-12th defender in the bottom side.

Boner has become more than OK in the back half. No coincidence that Melbourne started to get away from us when he went off.

See Powell.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Next step is consistency. He's always had the physical tools, talent and good head on his shoulders to be a serious AFL player.

And the ability to play a couple of really good games in succession. Hopefully he can now add consistency and he'll get himself a contract for 2022.

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is actually very important. Listening to Jack Riewoldt he mentioned Camden MacIntosh had played 10 games at half back in vfl level and Vlastuin gets injured and McIntosh takes the spot after being mainly a wingman. Versatility is going to be a big thing going forward if the rotations keep being cut.
Nobes is doing a good job analysing what he's got at his disposal at this early stage, at some point next year you've got to keep some guys in a spot so they can build continuity in their individual games and as a collective group.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is actually very important. Listening to Jack Riewoldt he mentioned Camden MacIntosh had played 10 games at half back in vfl level and Vlastuin gets injured and McIntosh takes the spot after being mainly a wingman. Versatility is going to be a big thing going forward if the rotations keep being cut.
Nobes is doing a good job analysing what he's got at his disposal at this early stage, at some point next year you've got to keep some guys in a spot so they can build continuity in their individual games and as a collective group.

Excellent point & it's probably his biggest tick thus far.

He's asked LDU, Cunnington, Jed, Campbell, Laz, Powell, Goldstein & Phillips work on their forward craft; Stephenson, TT, Zurhaar & Turner work on their midfield craft; Bonar, Atu, Hall & Ziebell all work on their defensive craft.

Not to sound like a broken record, but how many players were made to add an additional string under Scott & to a lesser extent Shaw?

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He's asked LDU, Cunnington, Jed, Campbell, Laz, Powell, Goldstein & Phillips work on their forward craft; Stephenson, TT, Zurhaar & Turner work on their midfield craft; Bonar, Atu, Hall & Ziebell all work on their defensive craft.

Not to sound like a broken record, but how many players were made to add an additional string under Scott & to a lesser extent Shaw?
The record isn’t broken if it’s playing the right song

Agree but in the Scotts era we had Tarrant, Daw and McKay successfully move from being underwhelming key forwards to more than handy key defenders - the decision making and timing around this is very much up for debate with a sneaking suspicion that it was more by good luck than good management.
Jacobs was moved from no man's land into a tagging role (by Crocker)
Ziebell was moved virtually permanently forward (again maybe more to do with his turnovers and lack of pace/endurance than a planned decision)
Atley was also moved back and forth to varying degrees of success.
Greenwood was eventually moved into the midfield and promptly left.
Shaws moved Bonar back (he also moved Durdin forward for his last hurrah - you win some you lose some).

I'm sure there's others that I've omitted but it seems Noble has been much more strategic and proactive in this space.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Atu is currently a defender in a 0-7 team because 4 other defenders are injured, and another has been swapped to a wing.

So basically, he's currently the 10-12th defender in the bottom side.

This is going to be one of your all time great misses.

I look forward to raising it down the track

Don't even think about jumping on the bandwagon in 10 or 12 games and proclaim you "always knew" either.

Atu is already a better footballer than Marley Williams and he's played all of 6 career games.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon Atu has taken to being a defender faster than some others.

He's an absolute natural.

The good judges (and blind freddy) can see this kid has an extremely long future at the club down back.

He's quick, very clean and is yet to miss a target by foot from what I've seen.

Big Kudo's to Noble, along with the Hall move, because despite the revisionism Snake likes to apply to these discussions, none of Aaron Hall's previous 5 AFL coaches saw the potential of playing him at half back.

Shaw copped a bit of s**t for making Polec tag Cripps even tho it led to his best performance all year.

In his first year TT was playing midfield as well.

Back