Retired #43: Anthony "Walla" McDonald-Tipungwuti - Will play his last game this weekend - 24/8

43 - walla.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Pick 5, citizen-erased

Last edited:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I am only concerned at what condition he is is on March 1.
I get it but from around the half way point of last year he has gone from AA candidate, to out of form, to out the team……and then rocks up to preseason out of shape (which iirc he has never done before).

I am absolutely worried about this trajectory.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m very concerned about Tippa now.
Since late May this year he has looked a shadow of his former self managing just 7 goals from 9 (very un-Tippa like) in the back half of the season & bugger all possessions. He’s also managed to put on at least 7+ KGs, lose his pace, seemingly lose interest/have some mental health issues, and now apparently a do a calf which will sideline him for 2 months meaning he'll virtually miss the whole pre season….
Is this the end…I pray not

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

astrowizzle

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
Since late May this year he has looked a shadow of his former self managing just 7 goals from 9 (very in Tippa like) in the back half of the season & bugger all possessions. He’s also managed to put on at least 7+ KGs, lose his pace, seemingly lose interest/have some mental health issues, and now apparently a do a calf which will sideline him for 2 months meaning he”” virtually miss the whole pre season….

Unfortunately this is what depression does to people. Fix the mental issues he is having will go a long way to him having the fighting spirit to go another round

Is a long hard battle for him

I get it but from around the half way point of last year he has gone from AA candidate, to out of form, to out the team……and then rocks up to preseason out of shape (which iirc he has never done before).

I am absolutely worried about this trajectory.

Guess it comes down to how much is known about what is going on . Not saying there has not been issues and it can not go off the rails but from what I know the window to have him ready mentally and physically is still wide open. Let’s just say he is not out of shape because he has been lazy . There has been some injury issues as well as some personal stuff to deal with.

Since late May this year he has looked a shadow of his former self managing just 7 goals from 9 (very un-Tippa like) in the back half of the season & bugger all possessions. He’s also managed to put on at least 7+ KGs, lose his pace, seemingly lose interest/have some mental health issues, and now apparently a do a calf which will sideline him for 2 months meaning he'll virtually miss the whole pre season….

Pure speculation

Before the cardiac wards fill up with Essendon supporters... I do believe this 1 month old news
Nothing in here from a month ago. andleanback put it in the preseason training thread and I've repeated it here since it sounded new. 4 weeks ago for a calf it would be healed now unless severe.

Haven’t heard anything anything since now. Pretty sure he started in full training when we came back after Xmas.
Now I'm confused. Is he injured now or was he injured a month ago? Where did you hear about it today?

BombersDave

Senior List
Oct 21, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes but as Cleary said he hasn't tried with the main group for 2 weeks which is because the injury was from December.

From Bomberblitz about training today:

Training today on a lovely, warm morning at the Hangar. Not a cloud in the sky. What a day for a 3-hour sesh.
I’m reliably informed that training started at 9, but I arrived at about 9:50. Of the rehab group, I most noticed Walla, Perkins and Eyre. Pleased to say that Walla looked to be running better (though still looks a good way off being match fit.

Also, going through Bomberblitz the initial report of his injury was December 20th and at that stage was still doing some slow running to get his fitness up.

Last edited:

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Nothing in here from a month ago. andleanback put it in the preseason training thread and I've repeated it here since it sounded new. 4 weeks ago for a calf it would be healed now unless severe.
Not necessarily, but who knows how severe the calf is anyway... Don't think they will be rushing him at this point in the pre-season either way.

Not necessarily, but who knows how severe the calf is anyway... Don't think they will be rushing him at this point in the pre-season either way.
Yeah don't think they'll be rushing him. Sounds like he's running at the moment so obviously more than 4 weeks for this particular injury.

Weeks as in weeks to return to full training/match fit – if we were in the middle of the season he'd be back in the side after the X weeks.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah don't think they'll be rushing him. Sounds like he's running at the moment so obviously more than 4 weeks for this particular injury.

Weeks as in weeks to return to full training/match fit – if we were in the middle of the season he'd be back in the side after the X weeks.

If they were already slowly building up his running then it will take longer to see him back at main training even once it's healed anyway

Unfortunately he has only two months.
Would be a bit more worried if he was a midfielder. Still has 8 weeks and if he misses the first couple of rounds it will not be a big deal. 8 weeks is certainly enough time to get him going providing he does not have any more set backs.

Back