Retired #43: Anthony "Walla" McDonald-Tipungwuti - Will play his last game this weekend - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

43 - walla.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Pick 5, citizen-erased

Last edited:
That roar when they haven’t even kicked the footy to him yet, but everyone can see him streaming forward to get on the end of it

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rare that you have a player that is universally loved by the whole AFL community, not just the fans of the club. Testament to him as a bloke, not just his freakish footy ability.

And also prior to any off-field health issues. Obviously guys like Docherty get the support and love because their health is bigger than the game. While Tippa has his own issues, the love and respect for him existed before any issues.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Havent had much of a chance to write it today.

Have loved this guy from the moment he took the field for us in 2016.
First to admit i doubted the selection and own the fact i jon snowed that one :p

When it was hirdys time, i accepted it
Same as lloyd, fletch and jobe. Such is my revere for him, this one i never wanted to happen.

Pure, instinctive, joyful and an artist at footy. This club hasnt been much fun for 20 years. In fact, quite the opposite. Tippa balanced that, and thats saying something when you consider the weight of disappointment he was working against.

Can safely say he's up there with hird and mercs as my favourite bombers to ever play the game. And it won't be the same without him.

Off the field i love his story. To grab the reins, turn into life and walk against the challenges and make what you want happen. I hope the future holds more good for him and he goes well in whatever he pursues.

All i have is thanks tippa.
Avatar is staying. I dont care :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
A mate was going to a pre-season game back when we were being suspended for the drug thing. carlton v Essendon pre-season. carlton fan. “ anyone I should look out for ?” “Number 43, he’s an exorcet missile.” This was before he was on our list. If one good thing came out of that drug shitstorm it was getting this bloke on the primary list.
He rang me today , my carlton mate and mentioned that game. The toll his style of game took on his body is another reason why he stopped. Exorcet missile. You can trace it back to the Adelaide game where he nearly killed him self and his crow opponent.
Check earlier in this thread, I warned it was coming, he just couldn’t keep abusing his body like this.

Last edited:

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Echoing the thoughts of others here. Had mates (and enemies) who despised Essendon and everyone who was a part of the club - except Walla. I can't recall a more universally loved and respected player throughout the AFL and the Australian sporting landscape.

Loved watching him play - a real bums-on-seats player. Stephen A Smith described Obi Toppin as Showtime and I think that perfectly describes Walla. If there was a more watchable player in the game, I hadn't seen them. From all accounts, a wonderful human being too.

Thank you for all the memories, Walla. Hoping for all the best in the next phase of your life. We would love to see you back at the club in the future, in some capacity.

But until then, he will stay immortalised in my Avatar :'(.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
This sucks. 45 year old blokes shouldn't have favourite players they almost hero worship but Walla was one out of the box and here I sit.

It's a sad day for the club and footy in general but it pales if Walla doesn't find what it is his heart and soul is yearning for.

Good luck Walla, thanks for the amazing memories. I wish you health and happiness in whatever comes next in your incredible life journey.

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks for your service to the club Tippa, you've left the supporters with many wonderful memories and have been a shining light on many dark days for the club.

Not many players can get the crowd to rise as one whenever they are near the ball, regardless of talent. You were able to do that constantly.

For a player with that much talent, you should have played 250 games. Can't wait for Herb to do a highlight package, will be the best thing us supporters have watched for 20 years.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Excluding the Davey twins, I hope our recruiters are looking around the Tiwi islands for the next Tippa.

We have dropped the ball recruiting indigenous players lately.

Thanks Tippa, footy just got a lot less exciting. There is even a few North supporters at work that loved watching you play, transcended club rivalry!

Sounds like he played for Gippy Power with Heppell, Heppell is a year older so maybe one year when Heppell was U18s and Walla was 17?

Sounds like he played for Gippy Power with Heppell, Heppell is a year older so maybe one year when Heppell was U18s and Walla was 17?
He was 22 when drafted in 2015. So yeah, adds up

cobra land

All Australian
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I feel a terrible sadness today not unlike when Warney passed.

I hope whatever Walla does now in his life brings him the love and joy that he truly deserves.

Watching all these awesome videos of him in full flight just makes me even sadder that we won't see him in the red and black again.

That video of him telling his teammates today broke my heart, God bless you Walla.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back