AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton 🥈

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-10-30/learning-from-the-best

The lure of some time overseas during the off-season is a temptation Kyle Langford is resisting.

The 19 year old knows competition for spots in the Essendon line-up will be tough in 2017 and is giving himself the best chance of securing a spot in John Worsfold’s ‘22’ for the blockbuster opening match of the season against Hawthorn.

“I haven’t gone away this off-season because I know how hard it’s going to be once we get the boys back and some draft picks,” Langford said.

“I’ve worked pretty hard with Alex Morgan and Aaron Francis.

“’Franga’ is looking really good – everyone is looking pretty good and I’m fit and healthy.”

Langford played 17 games this year after eight in his first season.

The former Northern Knight took on a variety of roles throughout 2016 and saw a sharp spike in his output.

Langford averaged 15 disposals per game (up from eight in 2015) and almost five marks (up from two in 2015).

He also booted 12 goals but over the next few seasons, Langford would like to spend more time in the middle of the ground.

“I spoke with John (Worsfold) just before the season ended and he does see me as a midfielder – a tall mid roaming around the ground,” Langford said.

“Whether that’s next year or in the years to come depends on how I train during the pre-season.

“Next year I think I’ll (continue to) play that high half-forward and hopefully a little bit through the midfield.”

Langford is listed as 191cm, slightly taller than Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe – a player he’s trying to model his game on.

“I’ve had a look at Fyfe and how he went about it,” Langford said.

“I got some information off ‘Harves’ (Mark Harvey) and ‘Crowls’ (Ryan Crowley) – how he went from being a normal player to the elite player he is.

“I’ve had a look at that and based my game and my lifestyle off that.”

Langford spent time in the North Territory this week.

It’s his second trip in the last 12 months to the Top End.

“I enjoyed it so much last year training with all of the kids and going out to schools – it’s a great experience and something most people don’t get to do,” Langford said.

“They ask questions and also give an insight into their lifestyle up here.

“I spoke a little about nutrition, education and the hard work that goes into an AFL lifestyle.”

And Langford knows that hard work is just getting started.

Well, it's confirmed, he wants to be Fyfe.

This article will either hold him to account and make him work his arse off, or be an article to look back on and laugh down the track.

Bit like when Dermie said Aaron James would be the next Wayne Carey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe was getting 25 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles, and a goal a game in his second year. Oh, and a tag. Obscene.

Fyfe is so dreamy, hope he gets back to 100% after the leg problems, having him play made Freo bearable. If langford becomes even 70% of a Fyfe I'd be sooo happy.

This article will either hold him to account and make him work his arse off, or be an article to look back on and laugh down the track.

Bit like when Dermie said Aaron James would be the next Wayne Carey

Agree but watching his actions since the season ended would suggest that at this stage he is determined to make a real crack of it in 2017

It's going to create mass confusion next year if we do happen to land Fyfe as literally no one will be able to tell the difference between the two of them. It's the kind of thing that could throw a real spanner in the works.
Enjoyed this, significantly more than Doss.

Back