AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton šŸ„ˆ

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What, aside from getting injured on schedule, does Laverde have over Langford?

Most of the poor comments in this thread come from people with the memory of a fish, I know, but it's still galling.

Most of the poor comments in this thread come from people with the memory of a fish, I know, but it's still galling.
I'm not even one of the Langford knockers -- I like him -- but I would've thought it's obvious.

Laverde is super clean at contests, is already strong enough to stand up in tackles and get his hands free in traffic. He's a ******* monster and moves quicker.

Langford is still working on getting stronger in contested situations. He takes his time a lot more, seems to have better vision and ability to read the play, and I would say generally has better disposal skills.

And just quietly, the "Laverde's always injured" thing is overstated. He was fit for most of his first season, just didn't feature in the firsts until halfway through -- then of course played out the rest of the season. He missed half of last year, and will miss half of this year. But he's not at Myers levels yet.

Probably nothing

Laverde>Langford is just part of the bigfooty zeitgeist so it isn't even worth questioning at this point

If Laverde was all you were saying French cut then why was Langford playing mid last year while Lav was HF and forward? Why was Langford training in the mids and Lav not?

Might have a bit of the rose coloured glasses going on.

In my opinion Langford is tracking like a regular player who is destined to be a 'good' player. He's gaining more consistency, he's built up his body and is working into being a full time midfielder. He's not really clean enough and doesn't have good enough disposal to be a star. What he does have is great size, good ability above his head and decent pace plus some versatility to play forward and mid.

Compared to the likes of Zac Merrett and Parish he seems ordinary and inconsistent but I think he might track along and become a handy player like Myers (with less injuries) or Brad Ebert. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Not every play can be a star and if you're not - its not so bad if you've got a good size and some versatility to your game.

If Laverde was all you were saying French cut then why was Langford playing mid last year while Lav was HF and forward? Why was Langford training in the mids and Lav not?

I think you may have misconstrued what I meant. You asked what Laverde has over Langford. In short, I said I think he's stronger and quicker. I also complimented Langford on his ability in traffic and overall disposal skills -- both areas I think he is better than Laverde in.

I couldn't tell you why Laverde has been a forward and Langford a forward/mid. Perhaps it is down to fitness, with Langford being better able to run matches in the middle. Perhaps it's because they think Laverde provides better pressure up forward.

Coaching decisions don't always make clear sense to those of us on the outside. Why play Stanton as a half back, when he struggles th to cover defensively? Why play your best forward, Daniher, in the ruck for 15% of the time he's on the ground, and severely weaken both your midfield and forwardline as a result? Why play Colyer in centre bounces on occasion, or Zaharakis for that matter?

I think both could Ls could eventually be very good midfielders for different reasons. But that doesn't mean they will obviously, for many more reasons.

Tbh, I don't really know how rose-coloured glasses could come into it because I was complimenting both, but there you go.

Laverde and Langford IMO aren't that comparable, only the fact they were from the same draft, they're forwards who will eventually go into the middle and they have similar height?

Similar ceiling heights perhaps?

Langford is smart, composed and skilful and needs to find more of the ball.
Laverde is a bull with xfactor oozing out every orifice who simply needs to get his body right.

We need both of them in the midfield as we progress, as Heppell is the only tallish midfielder we have taken recently. McGrath, Parish, Merrett are all below 6 foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

Langford has more experience at senior level than Laverde does due to his injuries. Laverde will sooner or later move to the midfield.

Even if Laverde becomes better than Langford or Langford becomes better than Laverde, they're both likely to rotate between midfield and forward when needed. The only thing I think Laverde has over Langford is that he is less fumbly and quicker than Langford. He has that x-factor. But Langford is very composed, skilful and has the bigger frame. Both fairly accurate goal kickers too.

It is great that we have both of them in the team as I think they complement each other well in the same side as opposed to competing for the same spots.

I don't understand why the whipping boy line is being run out to deride any criticism.

Is anyone seriously suggesting that Langford's net output has been positive and that it has contributed to the wins?

The best thing that can be said about his games is that he is a talented kid who is getting valuable game time. That's fine, and I support, but let's not pretend that any criticism of his game is so irrational that it has no justification.

I don't understand why the whipping boy line is being run out to deride any criticism.

Is anyone seriously suggesting that Langford's net output has been positive and that it has contributed to the wins?

The best thing that can be said about his games is that he is a talented kid who is getting valuable game time. That's fine, and I support, but let's not pretend that any criticism of his game is so irrational that it has no justification.
I agree.

Its been used a lot recently as a passive aggressive way to shut people up.

In my book everyone is entitled to there opinion! I mean this is a football forum...

For the record I really rate him.

Because he's clearly just gaming the system running around randomly to get his GPS numbers up. /whippingboy

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but well-balanced and informed opinions tend to carry more weight. Undeserved beat-ups (especially on a young player) are just frustrating.

Back