Delisted #43: Bachar Houli

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 43. Bachar Houli

On the train, these clueless blokes were waffling on, and one of them comes out and says the reason Houli hasn't played the last few is because he was out on the piss with Cole in Tassie. I didn't think we had fans that stupid!

i hate the fans who think they know it all but are too ignorant to realize they are full of s***

Those dumbwits shouldn't be spreading rumours about Houli.

I hate it when people spout off about players they've never met. Essendon is one of the great clubs where supporters have many opportunities to meet players - like taking the time and effort to see training at Windy Hill, attending various events organised by the club etc.

I had a great chat with Houli at Monday training after round 8 and we chatted about his faith and a few other things. I got the impression that he has very strong principles. He's made it known that he doesn't drink alcohol. I believe him.

Who I wouldn't believe are dumbwits on trains who gossip and cast aspersions about a player who has principles to try and ruin his reputation.

On the train, these clueless blokes were waffling on, and one of them comes out and says the reason Houli hasn't played the last few is because he was out on the piss with Cole in Tassie. I didn't think we had fans that stupid!

I hope you put them straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bacahr goes to my Uni, I see him around sometimes. Looks much bigger in the flesh! I hope he gets a run in the 1's bloody soon, what's there to lose?

Bacahr goes to my Uni, I see him around sometimes. Looks much bigger in the flesh! I hope he gets a run in the 1's bloody soon, what's there to lose?

Next time you see him, just yell out "hey Bachar". He's a very nice bloke and will probably go over and talk to you.

Ask him what he's studying and how that is going, before you start asking about football.

The only time I talked to him, he mentioned that his mates keep an eye on BigFooty.

Yeah, because he'd love that....

That's a point. Away from Windy Hill or a game is another matter.

Probably best to introduce yourself at Windy Hill, then mention that you've seen him around on campus.

Bachar Houli on fast track
17 September 2007 Herald Sun
Grant McArthur

ESSENDON is rethinking its training schedule for a Muslim player who needs to fast during the holy month of Ramadan.

0,1658,5658391,00.jpg

Laid back: outstanding young prospect Bachar Houli says Essendon has been helpful with his religious needs. Picture: Mark Smith

Promising 19-year-old Bachar Houli is one of 340,000 Australian Muslims who began fasting on Thursday for the holy month of Ramadan.

Now Houli and Essendon are already planning for next year when the holy ritual will coincide with the finals series.

"I will still do weights and things like that," Houli said of his off-season regimen.

"The hard part will be the intense stuff like sprint work which will be pretty solid, but at the end of the day you just have to be mentally strong.

"Next year it will probably affect me more because it will go back to the start of September, so if we make the finals it will be interesting."

Essendon has started studying methods used by overseas soccer teams to help Muslim players during Ramadan, and Houli appreciates the respect his religion has received at the club.

"It is going to affect me five years down the track so I just have to cope with it," Houli said. "They do studies overseas and they are going to bring it over here and put it into action for my football.

"They are very lenient and they have already planned things like I don't train in the morning, I train at night.

"It is just fantastic. It is great to see their respect."

However while his club has embraced Houli's faith, the same cannot be said for some of its supporters.

"With my first game this year my cousins were sitting in the crowd and comments were thrown around every time I made a mistake, such as 'Go back to your mosque'.

"These are our own supporters who have said that and at the end of the day you can't generalise everyone because of those supporters."

Houli said his 57-year-old mother had been abused while shopping and his cousins had had their head scarves ripped off.

Having seen an older cousin receive a long suspension after reacting to racist abuse in a suburban football final when he was 14, Houli said he learned patience was the only way to deal with intolerance.

However he can understand why depression is rife among discrimination victims.

"Being young there is only so much you can take and if someone is just continuously getting into you about your religion, about your faith and about your culture, it would get to you.

"I have seen a lot of people in our community not cope under pressure.

"They get thrown a racist comment and they get really physical about it and that is not the right way to go."

A VicHealth study found 45 per cent of people from non-English speaking backgrounds suffered discrimination at sporting and other public events.

VicHealth and Melbourne University have examined a combined 153 separate studies, finding depression was widespread among those who suffered from racism.
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22429365%5E19742,00.html

I like the look of him.

Great balance, disposal, covers the ground pretty well, is dangerous up forward and wins the ball.

Seem to be a few question marks about his accountability although how would you know as an outsider. Maybe another question mark on willingness to put his head over the ball from what i've seen.

That aside, bloody good pick up for a 3rd rounder and will be a key to rebuilding our ordinary midfield.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back