Player Watch #43: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll back the coaches & Derek to get the best out of him. Very early days for him at this stage.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant more early days,

he used to also be a whipping boy when we were sh*t in 16.
Exactly. Only in the last handful of years, in his mid to late 20's has Houli really been elite. I remember him being a little soft, and lamenting his inability to defend 1-on-1.

Egg reminds me of a younger Houli so much it isn't funny. Great with a little time and space, but a little laconic and shaky at times with his defensive efforts. I like him as Houli's understudy. This run of games will hold him in good stead for life after Bachar.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Only in the last handful of years, in his mid to late 20's has Houli really been elite. I remember him being a little soft, and lamenting his inability to defend 1-on-1.

Egg reminds me of a younger Houli so much it isn't funny. Great with a little time and space, but a little laconic and shaky at times with his defensive efforts. I like him as Houli's understudy. This run of games will hold him in good stead for life after Bachar.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

laconic?

He wasn't great

But you can't just write off kids over a poor game or two. Houli was never known for courage either.
He has pulled out of contests 3 weeks straight.

Sack him.

I would rather play Garthwaite at least he knows how to spoil the ball. Egg just shits himself every time he goes near the ball.
He also has zero awareness.

Kid doesn't handle the pressure yet, and yeh he squibbed a bit, similar issues as that was a step up to anything he's played before. Probably not the answer in 2020 as we get closer to finals, but enough to work with in the off-season to suggest he could be a flanker or winger depth player. Takes more than 22 to win a flag in a season. He might be that 23rd-30th player on the list that inevitably are called upon through the year. Remember it was only a month or so ago this thread was singing his praises. Houli back in as a big upgrade though as soon as available.

No need to hate on the bloke - this is is his first year of decent game time. Find me a first year player who's performance wouldn't go downhill when playing against arguably the best team in it with massive pressure. The reality is we were without our first choice hb - a club champion of 10 years renowned for performing on the biggest stage, with a youngster with no experience, of course he won't be as good or consistent! Just have to look forward to getting houli back and recognise the massive win that was getting some experience into this kid who played some games a far sight better than what I reckon we will see from some of our youth that gets higher wraps on this board (CCJ, RCD etc.)

Out for the rest of the season. He’s been awful since the north game and should have gone out instead of markov.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back