Player Watch #43: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Egg is a excellent user of the ball, has great vision, skills etc,. he just needs to improve his 1 vs 1 . Do that and he is a Gem. Get him training with baker for a few months that will fix him.

There are still question marks over him or he would not have been delisted. The lack of head over the ball was an issue, some players like Baker just have it in spades, others like Ellis and DES it is a weakness, although pretty much blown out of proportion especially in a young player like DES. Short is a good example of a player that doesn't have it naturally but worked on it. No reason for DES not to go the same way. Glass half full me.

Yep, still plenty of room for optimism.

Houli and short improving in that area doesn't mean eggy will...

Nobody said he was certain to, simply that there was a precedent there and he deserves the same withholding of judgement others have proven they deserved while he's still developing.

Part way through last season - at around the 80-game mark of his career - plenty were still saying Short was a liability and too soft a footballer.

Egg's played 8 games, nowhere near enough to even adjust to the pace of senior football, let alone get the parts of his game which don't come naturally up to the level required.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Egg, great use of the footy. probably played out of position but ultimately lacked a bit of toughness.
That is probably the part that is annoying the most. He really is one of our best kick of the ball. Given the new rules and oppotunity good kickers have to impact the game, I really thought he would shine. Not to be, good luck Eggy.

Fresh start..Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Any interest from other clubs?

at least he won a tv last year. Shame he wasn’t able to play more games at that standard as he was excellent that night.

Any interest from other clubs?

at least he won a tv last year. Shame he wasn’t able to play more games at that standard as he was excellent that night.
A lefttie right? that can drop it on a 10 c piece,
a sublime kick like that gets picked up again

clearly Dimma had an issue with him, couldn’t play the Richmond game plan, but ‘stand’ footy is perfect for DES, surely gets picked up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back