Player Watch #43: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, a nice debut. but will have to see him in a more challenging game than todays. that was pretty much a practice match for our defenders today.

It is still good to see players in these lower pressure games because it displays clearly what they can do offensively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a ripper debut! I can't think of a guy we've debuted this year that hasn't been super impressive.

Stack, CCJ, Balta, Naish and now Egg. And that's not even factoring in Baker, Bolton and Chol!

Far out.......

Went into the right boot as well. Encouraging. Most left footers will do a u turn.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s very capable with both feet. This is a big bonus as it can get you out of a lot trouble as well as set up a lot of plays. Blokes were totally deceived with what he was going to do next .
This is a great weapon of his and sometimes people will say he plays a lot of uncontested football, but the reality is he’s so deceptive that gaps open up for him. He’s very hard to read and catch and the reason why I would continue to play him.

He’s very capable with both feet. This is a big bonus as it can get you out of a lot trouble as well as set up a lot of plays. Blokes were totally deceived with what he was going to do next .
This is a great weapon of his and sometimes people will say he plays a lot of uncontested football, but the reality is he’s so deceptive that gaps open up for him. He’s very hard to read and catch and the reason why I would continue to play him.

He had 7 contested rocks yesterday and 11 uncontested and as far as our backmen went that was about the highest contested percentage of any of them. Takes a very decent grab too for his size. If you read the reserve's coach's notes each week he has been praised for his contested work and I do not think that is an issue in his game.

Strong debut. Reckon the space at AFL suits players like DES. Sure oppositions close down space faster, but if you have class and time with ball in hand, which Derek seems to have, you buy yourself that extra time. VFL does not allow that because the grounds are smaller and more subject to the weather /mud/wind and players still shut down space pretty quickly. Also AFL players have better vision and their possessions open up space better, Edwards for example.
Reckon VFL should go to no wings like in the good old days, much better spectacle and better training for AFL.

Last edited:
He had 7 contested rocks yesterday and 11 uncontested and as far as our backmen went that was about the highest contested percentage of any of them. Takes a very decent grab too for his size. If you read the reserve's coach's notes each week he has been praised for his contested work and I do not think that is an issue in his game.
Agree and neither do I.

The contested ball and ability to win one on ones Is where his big improvement has come.

Anybody that watched him last year in the VFL would have given big odds on him playing a AFL game- applied little defensive pressure and was often beaten in contested ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back