Player Watch #43: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

Tigerish09

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond reserves
I agree, a nice debut. but will have to see him in a more challenging game than todays. that was pretty much a practice match for our defenders today.
Agreed, did well against GC. I’ve seen him in some of the Reserves games and he does have the propensity to turn the ball over under pressure. Needs to put on some muscle especially for the physical pressure applied by top teams.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed, did well against GC. I’ve seen him in some of the Reserves games and he does have the propensity to turn the ball over under pressure. Needs to put on some muscle especially for the physical pressure applied by top teams.

From watching him do you think his propensity to turn the ball over under pressure is abnormally bad? It is probably the unpressured turnovers coughed up that hurt a team more because it is more likely in these scenarios teammates will abandon defensive structures and start to spread. Would you agree with that?

Tigerish09

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond reserves
From watching him do you think his propensity to turn the ball over under pressure is abnormally bad? It is probably the unpressured turnovers coughed up that hurt a team more because it is more likely in these scenarios teammates will abandon defensive structures and start to spread. Would you agree with that?
My first instinct was that he was a little suspect under any sort of pressure, I've seen him turn the ball over whether he was pressured or not but understand he was coming off injuries. Teams are scoring more and more from opposition turnovers and when structures breakdown it usually ends with a score to the opposition. As to Egg, I'd need to watch him more closely to gauge his skills under fierce pressure.

t

Defibrillate

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Was at the game yesterday and impressed. Fumbly early with nerves but grew in to the game and I liked his skills and decision making. Fitness will need to go up a little bit - you’d expect that with the pace of Seniors - and the only criticism I have was his positioning and awareness in transition when we lost possession. Teams punish you far more quickly compared to the VFL obviously. These are structural and concentration lapses and I suspect very easily fixed given video analysis and education etc etc. Still - a great debut!

How exciting a time to be a Tiges supporter!?!? It’s a roller coaster year but the real silver lining is the debutants. Fantastic and exciting to watch and so proud of the club for its development culture and how keen they are to give opportunities to youngsters. I know injuries have forced our hand to some extent, but the selectors have certainly rewarded VFL form and every debutant shown plenty. Loving it!

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought Derek was pretty good on the weekend.

Does not lack confidence with his disposal which is good to see.

I saw some of his highlights pre-game so I could see he had game but its still nice to see him composed and competitive in his first game.

What I liked in particular was his precision from his left foot. We do not have enough left footers so its good to see another one. It looks like his way and technique allows his ball drop to be relatively low and quick affording him the confidence and precision with his left foot to hit the target.

Its good to see another young talent emerging!! :thumbsu:

jumpinjimmy

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Even with the selection pressure being ramped up this week the egg survived. Make no mistake, barring a few shocking performances he is penned in to our top 22 for the foreseeable future. He enables a quick, reliable and accurate release of pressure from both flanks in unison with Short.

Houli is on borrowed time, although he has been a good servant over the duration.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I think he still needs to play as the weekend was tough in the slippery conditions and he was expected to make a few mistakes. He still gets the ball and knows what to do with it. He shows presence and just needs to get used to the speed and physical side of the game . I think it would be a shame dropping him as the team is firing. I can’t see Caddy Higgins Baker or Graham playing his role and I don’t want Stack or Brando playing in defence.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I think he still needs to play as the weekend was tough in the slippery conditions and he was expected to make a few mistakes. He still gets the ball and knows what to do with it. He shows presence and just needs to get used to the speed and physical side of the game . I think it would be a shame dropping him as the team is firing. I can’t see Caddy Higgins Baker or Graham playing his role and I don’t want Stack or Brando playing in defence.

Edwards...

Back