Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Sydney
Think he an average defender. Better then Maibaum but not by much.
Think he's a bit better than average. He's not an attacking defender and isnt an interceptor but doesnt get beat often. I see him as Reg type with less intercepting ability at this stage. Given that he is 21, he has a lot of time to improve. He seems to be very reliable and unlike when Reg kicks it, I dont hold my breath.

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Think he's a bit better than average. He's not an attacking defender and isnt an interceptor but doesnt get beat often. I see him as Reg type with less intercepting ability at this stage. Given that he is 21, he has a lot of time to improve. He seems to be very reliable and unlike when Reg kicks it, I dont hold my breath.
Reg didn’t even really play in defence until his fourth year on the list (2009, he debuted in 2006).

Melican, who is entering his fourth year on the list in 2019 (and has lost two full seasons to injury), has plenty of development in him. Is a bit quicker than Reg, his kicking skills are pretty good and he is composed. Will only get better.

AFL Club
Sydney
Moderator #156
Reg didn’t even really play in defence until his fourth year on the list (2009, he debuted in 2006).

Melican, who is entering his fourth year on the list in 2019 (and has lost two full seasons to injury), has plenty of development in him. Is a bit quicker than Reg, his kicking skills are pretty good and he is composed. Will only get better.
Agreed. It's just the injury history which has me slightly concerned. Melican has had a recurring pattern of injuries which, if as a result of loading from moving up NEAFL>AFL, would be my biggest fear with him. That he (like Reid, Tippo or AJ) just isn't built for footy.

He's only young though so I hope he sorts it out for good & it isn't an ongoing issue.

At this stage there is no reason to suggest it isn't anything other than bad luck though.

barry fu

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Ferny Grove Falcons/Forest
Fu The Far Flung, has it on good authority, that Lewis The Minder Melican is currently being worked on by The Bloods Boffins and Bureaucrats. Down, in deepest bowels of Bloods HQ. The end result you might ask - a Bloods backman bearing an arm of Bucky Barnes style spoiling sophistication that only Steve Austin could consider.
Ear massaging us and all comers - to the 2019 Flag!
Who can. Melican.

Onwards to Victory!

grimlock

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, NSW

caesar88

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-12-27/kennelly-excited-by-defence

No mention of Melican at all in this article - is there a bigger problem here I wonder?

I honestly thought that he and Aliir would be the backbone of our defence for years to come.
Just guessing here but maybe there wasn't much point mentioning him since he won't be a likely round one starter because of his injuries? I think all the pieces that the Swans site have been churning out are to get the supporter base excited about the start of the new season, and Melican may just not be a part of it as it stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheMase

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Last was he had a knee issue pretty sure
Google seems to suggest he injured his hamstring early in the season, as he recovered and near return injured his other hamstring and then in July re-injured the same hamstring (and had surgery at this point I think).

Prior to that he hurt his quad and I think had quad problems early on.

I can’t find any information indicating a knee injury of any kind, at least not documented.

Top Bottom