Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:
Probably his worst game of the year, his lack of pace got exposed multiple times.
Yes, I'd think so but in saying that I think he will learn from it. I think he was caught out of position a couple of times which led to Roughy being on a mismatch in the square or very close. However, he was not alone and turnovers are notoriously hard to cover.

I'm still backing him to work hard, improve and be more aware. I really do think he is our Reg replacement, and how long did it take Reg to get to his current level? Melican is developing well ahead of him imo.

Yes, I'd think so but in saying that I think he will learn from it. I think he was caught out of position a couple of times which led to Roughy being on a mismatch in the square or very close. However, he was not alone and turnovers are notoriously hard to cover.

I'm still backing him to work hard, improve and be more aware. I really do think he is our Reg replacement, and how long did it take Reg to get to his current level? Melican is developing well ahead of him imo.

Yeah, not trying to say he is crap or anything, just some commentary.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
Our defence needs mids to push back and help clear it through the corridor.

Losing Lloyd, having the Hawks give us another masterclass on denying the opposition the ball in the middle, then JPK and Naismith getting injured really just left us kicking to the wings.

I thought Melican fought hard all night. But our whole back 6 was exposed.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Our defence needs mids to push back and help clear it through the corridor.

Losing Lloyd, having the Hawks give us another masterclass on denying the opposition the ball in the middle, then JPK and Naismith getting injured really just left us kicking to the wings.

I thought Melican fought hard all night. But our whole back 6 was exposed.

Did I hear you mention Lloyd's name?
This is why we missed him. This is his role.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Take Hodge out of Hawthorn the other night & you would have an absolute unorganised mess down back & we would have scored at least another 6 goals.
Like wise, Lloyd saves us a couple & gains us a couple. Rohan saves us a couple & gains us a couple. & we would have trained all week with these two blokes as Lloyd hurt himself in the last session & Rohan in the warm up. That was a critical blow to us & we nearly pinched it.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Take Hodge out of Hawthorn the other night & you would have an absolute unorganised mess down back & we would have scored at least another 6 goals.
Like wise, Lloyd saves us a couple & gains us a couple. Rohan saves us a couple & gains us a couple. & we would have trained all week with these two blokes as Lloyd hurt himself in the last session & Rohan in the warm up. That was a critical blow to us & we nearly pinched it.
Franklin doesn't play his career worst game and we kick another 6 goals and the game opens up

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Snagged a single vote to finish 7th in the rising star! Bloody good effort given his draft pedigree when compared to some of the other nominees.

An outstanding effort to poll. Congrats Lewis!!!
McGrath #1
Burton #19
Powell-Pepper #18
Curnow #12
Hipwood #14
Petrevski Seton #6
Melican #52 rookie draft

Didn't even get to play a final :(

Hopefully he'll play many more. What a star he was this year...we do rookie recruiting right!

I reckon you're right Mick, this guy is going to be one of the stars of our back-line moving forward, and will play many finals starting next year when he plays four! There is no doubt in my mind, that this guy will be one of the cornerstones of our defence for years to come.

Back