Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I reckon you're right Mick, this guy is going to be one of the stars of our back-line moving forward, and will play many finals starting next year when he plays four! There is no doubt in my mind, that this guy will be one of the cornerstones of our defence for years to come.
Just 3 finals mate...don't want to do it the hard way!

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Like all good backmen.

He's a natural replacement for Grundy when he finally starts to decline, but should've been in the side against the Cats last weekend. I'd be VERY surprised if he didn't play every game next year, barring injury.

I would have said that about aliir next season (and i guess the barring injury would have made it true) but it just goes to show.

Melican sure gives me a calm feeling about grundy one day retiring, wjereas this time last year i had a low hum of anxiety about him retiring that would never go away.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Marsh does try hard and has some moments, but look forward to Melican returning

Yep, that's it. Marsh is an honest trier and can be relied upon as depth but Melican is definitely an upgrade.

Having Marsh, Aliir, and Maibaum as our back-up KPD's is a pretty good spot to be in.

Requires surgery. Out for another 8 weeks

Probably done for the year. Unless they rush him back for an elimination final

He's still young. Let's hope it's more a "load" type issue as his body adapts to the additional size he's no doubt put on the last year. Don't play him even at 90% either. Give him extra time to build back his strength & work into his developing physique.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back