Past #43: Marcus White - delisted at the end of 2011 season

Remove this Banner Ad

i am good mates with a bunch of recruiting dudes from several different afl clubs
white was likely to be the #1 pick to melbourne but the year didnt pan out as expected for him

I know that Melbourne were keen on him with their number 1 pick in the PSD, but then Jurrah came along.

I wish I could pretend to know recruiting 'dudes'. Teach me?

Oh well, but you do have a lot of "pretend dudes" on your list headed by Jaclyn Watts.

Hey, you North posters are hilarious. :thumbsu:

Serious question Whelan=legend, how's Jimmy coming along? Any update as to the prognosis/treatment?

Really hoping that he comes through this with a clean bill of health. He is a really great guy and fantastic ambassador for your club and the game in general.

I actually heard Melbourne would have taken him number one last year, then delisted him so they could take him number one again this year.

He's fast, he's a good user of the ball, and he's hard. Still a bit raw, but his development throughout the year was terrific to watch. If he continues to develop at his current rate, we will have a beauty!

I reckon we keep Rawlings down back, he adds a lot of experience back there and seems to set up the attacks off half-back, and he kept dangerous forwards pretty quiet.

I'd throw White in the middle, that's where his long kicking and decision making can help us.

He looks good, but we'll never know until he plays an AFL game what he can do.

I reckon we keep Rawlings down back, he adds a lot of experience back there and seems to set up the attacks off half-back, and he kept dangerous forwards pretty quiet.

I'd throw White in the middle, that's where his long kicking and decision making can help us.

He looks good, but we'll never know until he plays an AFL game what he can do.

I just can't see Rawlings down back. IMO he clearly offers much more to the team in a midfield stopping role. For a guy who does so well blanketing blokes in the midfield his turning circle gets exposed on the nippy forwards, he gets bodied out of the way too easily on the more solidly bodied forwards (if he doesn't give away a free kick for mauling) & his disposal aint top-shelf.

I think White could also play mid ala Greenwood but i wouldn't for 1 second put him behind Rawlings in the queue to be in our back six.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't see Rawlings down back. IMO he clearly offers much more to the team in a midfield stopping role. For a guy who does so well blanketing blokes in the midfield his turning circle gets exposed on the nippy forwards, he gets bodied out of the way too easily on the more solidly bodied forwards (if he doesn't give away a free kick for mauling) & his disposal aint top-shelf.

I think White could also play mid ala Greenwood but i wouldn't for 1 second put him behind Rawlings in the queue to be in our back six.

Sorry but Greenwood has taken the tagging mantle of Rawlings, we're much better off persisting with him there. If Rawlings wants to play 50 more games, he's going to have to find somewhere else to slot in, defence is just that.

Hansen, Grima, Scott Thompson, Pratt, McMahon, Rawlings is our most likely back 6 imo. Obst is either emergency or in if we have to deal with a two big forward set-up like saints and brisbane will have.
Hansen is probably too slow to handle smalls down there and lacks intensity and concentration at this stage in his career.
We will have a very young backline without Gibson, putting Pratt (who may be in and out of the side for Marcus White), Rawlings and maybe Wells back there to handle the smalls and give guidance will help.

The last two games I could see the defence was a bit more settled when Rawlings was there, he added experience and organization back there.

It depends on where Wells and White fit in. But hard to see Rawlings jumping ahead of Wells, Ziebell, Greenwood, Harvey, Anthony, Harding, Swallow, and Adams in the midfield group. Then there's guys like Wright, White, Lower, and Ross who could all go through there eventually.
Difficult to fit Rawlings in the middle, we need to get games into these younger guys.

:confused:

Did you watch the last 8 to 10 games of the season?

IMO, he is a lock to play the majority of his football in defence from now on, and he will be brilliant in that role. It will add another 50 games to his career.

Yeah i did, was speaking figuratively... ;)

I may be on my own in thinking this but i just can't see him being in our best 6 options right now, let alone for the 50 games you can envisage. Sure I couldn't claim he was WOG when he was in defence - he racked up some pretty good numbers as he always does but i don't want to see our forward thrusts from defence set up by someone with his footskills. Perhaps i've got some prejudicial blinkers on but I just didn't see any signs that he's ahead of Urquart, Harding, Pratt, Mcmahon & now possibly White as a backman with the skills you want in that position.

IMO if he's gonna play another 50 games it should be as our first or 2nd tagger. If not there then i don't believe he should be in our team.

FWIW I believe our mid-long term back 6 should have Grima, Thompson & Hansen with 3 of these smaller types around them.

:confused:

Did you watch the last 8 to 10 games of the season?

IMO, he is a lock to play the majority of his football in defence from now on, and he will be brilliant in that role. It will add another 50 games to his career.
:eek::eek::eek:

God i hope not...

He has got the most out of his career but he is done.

He can become a defensive midfield coach/mentor but there is no room for him in our best 22. He certainly won't play in our next premiership and thus needs to get out of the way for someone who might.

As for him playing back.... please mate...... :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

McMahon, Wells, Harding and Pratt are twice as good.

Harvey won't play in our next flag. Should we retire him?

Rawlings was superb in the last two months of the season, smashing a number of small forwards, and was top three in the Syd yet again. Rather than putting him out to pasture, how about telling the younger guys vying for that spot that he is the benchmark they need to aspire to, defensively, to force their way into the side?

Harvey won't play in our next flag. Should we retire him?

Rawlings was superb in the last two months of the season, smashing a number of small forwards, and was top three in the Syd yet again. Rather than putting him out to pasture, how about telling the younger guys vying for that spot that he is the benchmark they need to aspire to, defensively, to force their way into the side?

Maybe the young guys could teach him how to kick?

Just thinking outside the centre sqaure.

Re: 43. Marcus White

Another highly credentialed junior that managed to slide to the rookie draft.

This bloke could end up being Patch MK II.

Re: 43. Marcus White

Liked what i saw on the Weekend but with a healthy 22 i don't see any room for him in our side, Can he hold down any positions outside the midfeild??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back