#43 - Reilly O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking efficiency or kicking technique?

Efficiency on those highlights was pretty good.

Technique is a little clumsy.

Definitely a project player. Looks to have ability but looks like he could snap in half like a twig. Needs to build his body substantially to be AFL ready IMO.

With Lowden in particular now on our list as coverage for Jacobs, project player was the right way to go IMO.
Yes I was referring to his technique. Highlights look OK in terms of hitting targets but that looks like a classic unco ruckman's kick!

So we're going to have 4 rucks in the sanfl now? I suppose Dear will be played as a forward.

People forget that you almost never have a full squad. If this pre-season is going to be as intense as they are saying, we'll start seeing injuries fairly soon.

So we're going to have 4 rucks in the sanfl now? I suppose Dear will be played as a forward.
This was always going to be a problem with having all of our players playing in a single SANFL team, rather than being farmed out as was previously the case. The ruck is the one area where it's common to have multiple players, with limited ability to play in other positions, all fighting for only 1 or 2 positions.

Don't get me wrong, the advantages of having a reserves team clearly outweigh the disadvantages, it's just that this is one of the disadvantages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he does make it as an AFL defender he'll need to be able to either rest forward, or down back. Handy that he has defensive experience.
An AFL defender resting down back sounds good to me as I assume that means the ball will be in our forward half? :p

This kid is certainly speculative but you cannot accuse our recruiting team of not doing their homework…apparently one guy dedicated to looking at just ruckmen!

Structurally, if he can be a decent chop out in defence in those games we play massive opposition forward lines as well as 2R, it could be a masterstroke (obviously won't be ready in 2015).

Kicking style looks awful, both in style and also looks like (for a smart guy) he really has to think hard about how to do it! However, he seemed to hit the target and wouldn't be the first successful ruck with an awkward kicking style.

To people suggesting Reilly is a speculative pick - bear in mind that we did take him with our first pick in the rookie draft when we, as far as Hamish Ogilvie said, wanted Keenan Ramsey enough to say 'we crossed our fingers and hoped he'd still be there' [at our second pick]. In other words, we obviously thought other clubs were interested in picking Reilly up so he probably had a few suitors and may not be the gamble or left-field selection that some are assuming he is.

Does anyone actually think we recruited him as a defender though? We were after a developing ruckman and i see a guy of that size and poor kicking ability playing in defense.

We've recruited him to raise the IQ level on-field.

Surprised at people knocking his kicking; looks fine to me. He's 201cm, his kicking style won't be reminiscent of Andrew McLeod.

R.O'Brien.png

DOB 20/8/95
Height 200cm
Weight 94kg

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/597141/draft-prospect-reilly-obrien/
From Knightmare

I've seen a lot of Reilly O'Brien over the last few years. Overager for Calder. Can play ruck, key forward or key defence. Reasonably athletic. May not have been spoken about much as a prospect this year but a rookie selection for him is about right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back