Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that gibbo is gone, which other clearly best 22 player are you going to call to be dropped every week?

Gibbo was never dropped, in his whole career. Made a lot of clowns of a lot of posters :)

Not really - it was more an indictment on the selection committee that he was never dropped despite the fact that some weeks he was absolute rubbish.

He deserved his success, but was probably lucky to play all those games in a row.

Pretty harsh assessments of Gibson's game from some imo. The disposal thing was a bit misleading he had tuned up his passing surprisingly well and was hitting some decent ones often enough that the ironic posts about it became commonplace. Also worth factoring he was about the only bloke other than Boomer for the last few years consistently on the park and better than a 10 in the beep test so he was often getting the ball in fatigued situations.

His goalkicking was also underrated being a pretty damn good trick shot.

Personally would've kept him another year - unless we're going full bore firesale in which case Waite should be off too - and shed Jed to the open market ahead of him but so be it.

Pretty harsh assessments of Gibson's game from some imo. The disposal thing was a bit misleading he had tuned up his passing surprisingly well and was hitting some decent ones often enough that the ironic posts about it became commonplace. Also worth factoring he was about the only bloke other than Boomer for the last few years consistently on the park and better than a 10 in the beep test so he was often getting the ball in fatigued situations.

His goalkicking was also underrated being a pretty damn good trick shot.

Personally would've kept him another year - unless we're going full bore firesale in which case Waite should be off too - and shed Jed to the open market ahead of him but so be it.
Good post. His disposal issues were mostly overblown. Though the occasional ball went out of bounds that was mostly because he couldn't kick it to himself when no one else was presenting as an option. His biggest drawback was that as an outside type he rarely hurt the opposition with his ball use.

Now that gibbo is gone, which other clearly best 22 player are you going to call to be dropped every week?

Gibbo was never dropped, in his whole career. Made a lot of clowns of a lot of posters :)

What?

I've very rarely, if ever, called for Gibson to be dropped.

We are in desperate need of more run, there were various players ahead of Gibson on the chopping block in recent years.

Came in here thinking I might read some balanced assessments on Gibbo's time with us given he's gone now (I think I can just make out Arjen yelling "finally" in a padded white room somewhere) but then I remembered this is BigFooty... The place where even after the guy has been delisted we somehow need to criticize his disposal and lament why he wasn't dropped delisted sooner :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks Sam for 6 good years. You certainly worked your butt off and got the best out of yourself. The club would be in a better place if every player we drafted did the same. The 2014 finals performances will always stick in my mind as highlights, especially that tackle on Hawkins!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like he's been blindsided a little bit, almost surprised.

Considering our list position, surely we had conversations with him throughout the year where he knew it was very possible he would be delisted?

I'm a touch surprised that he could be so surprised. He's on the wrong side of 30, out of contract and we spent most of the last 12 months prepping suitcases of cash to throw at two premium mids. I think he's just unlucky that he's out of contract, the wrong age and not damaging enough.

AXING STUMPS UNHAPPY ROO

DELISTED Kangaroo Sam Gibson has launched a scathing attack on the club.

The veteran midfielder hadn't missed a game since his debut - playing 130 consecutive matches - but was axed as North Melbourne continues its rebuild.

"I guess in one way you have to admire the club's conviction in making those decisions but it's not really a decision that I paritularly agreed with, to be honest," he said.

"The longer it dragged out the more you probably see the writing on the wall so when I had that conversation with Brad (Scott) a couple of days ago it wasn't a complete shock, but that being said I think I'm a pretty rational person and it can be pretty hard to fathom that you can be in the best 22 for 130 weeks and finish sixth in the best-and-fairest and not have a contract for next year.

"That's been tough but that's just the nature of our industry, I guess."

Gibson, who is overseas, said he had not had in-depth discussions about the reasons for the Kangaroos' decisions but assumed it was because they were planning on giving younger players more game time.

"What I take out, given that we missed out on a few of those stars through free agency and trade period, is that we have to take a longer-term approach so I guess they're looking at playing younger guys and maybe they saw me as taking one of those younger guys' spots," he told AFL Trade Radio.

Gibson said his manager was speaking to other clubs and he would make a pitch himself when he returns to the country next week.

"I'd happily sit down with any club who has any interest and plead my case face to face because I think if they met me and they saw the type of person I am and they could hear the conviction in the words that come out of my mouth, it might put a stronger case forward than hearing stuff from my manager.

"I'd happily go anywhere. I'm still pretty driven to succeed and I still feel like I had a pretty good year this year and I've got a lot to give any club."

Jon Ralph wrote on heraldsun.com.au today that he couldn't understand some of North Melbourne's rebuild decisions, including axing Gibson but holding onto Jarrad Waite and Todd Goldstein.

I'll put Gibbo's name next to David King's on my "players we plucked from nowhere and gave a career to who end up salty".

Remember your manners Sam and who gave you a shot when no one else would.

Gibson, who is overseas, said he had not had in-depth discussions about the reasons for the Kangaroos' decisions but assumed it was because they were planning on giving younger players more game time.

He has every right to be pissed off. What I read is that he wasn't told on his post season exit interview, and learnt about it whilst overseas.

The NMFC is shambolic in how it handles player de-listings and retirements. It is ******* amateur hour down there; is it any wonder we can not recruit high profile players if this is the standard of administration we see?

It is rude and disrespectful to the player. I am sad to see him go, but understand the reasons for it and will back the club in. But I am mightily pissed off with how we have treated Sam, the second longest consecutive game player in the games history. Disgraceful.

It was absolutely the right call not to offer him a new contract.

I'd like to know what went on at the exit interview. Was he promised a new contract? Did Scott sit there silently when the subject was broached? Was he told we are still deciding?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back