Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
>>>>>>Josh Gibson.

Welcome to the greatest club on earth Sam.:thumbsu:

08_sam%20gibson_rd06_rc02.jpg

Sam was named in Box Hills best on 12 out of a possible 19 occasions in 2012. Only 3 other players bettered this achievement.

• Banned
Birthdate: 27/5/1986
Height: 184 cm
Weight: 82 kg

Terry Wallet gave him a special mention in his rookie draft wrap up, saying how impressed he was with him during the year. Reckons he's a fantastic pickup for North, saying he's an inside/outside midfielder with goal kicking ability who's also a ball magnet. One game he mentioned was one where Sam had 41 possessions in a B.O.G. display.

Terry Wallet gave him a special mention in his rookie draft wrap up, saying how impressed he was with him during the year. Reckons he's a fantastic pickup for North, saying he's an inside/outside midfielder with goal kicking ability who's also a ball magnet. One game he mentioned was one where Sam had 41 possessions in a B.O.G. display.

Has been on the Box Hill list for about 4-5 years. He's a good honest toiler. Ok skills. Not overly quick. Good leader. He's been trying very very hard to be given a chance and is the type of blokes that will now take it. Wrapped for him.

Has been on the Box Hill list for about 4-5 years. He's a good honest toiler. Ok skills. Not overly quick. Good leader. He's been trying very very hard to be given a chance and is the type of blokes that will now take it. Wrapped for him.

Thanks for the feedback BigAl. Wallet did mention how hard he'd worked for the opportunity and how much he deserved it. Hard working players are always welcome.

One of the most consistent players that I have seen playing in the VFL in recent years.

Was previously a rookie at Hawthorn, but unfortunately didn't get much of a go but was outstanding this year as captain of Box Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder where he fits in? The nature of our squad now is you have to work bloody hard to get a spot and have to show that you deserve to keep it. Good luck to Sam

He's in the same boat as Pedo was last year. He's starting off down the pecking order and he'll know he has to work bloody hard to get a crack. And make every post a winner if / when he does.

I like our strategy with these type of picks. We used the ND to grab the best young talent available, but one also has to look at our needs today, and even someone like McKenzie will take some time to really settle into senior footy. But with Gibson, Lynch and Mangan we've got three hungry blokes who can improve the side in 2012, if anyone in front of them is either injured or is out of form, as Thomas was for large parts of 2011 for example.

Gibson is someone who has taken their time, but at 25 he is obviously playing his best footy. In the past, blokes like him would have never been considered, but with mature rookies, it gives us a chance to give several mature players a go.

Let's not forget that we have Wells who will miss at least the first few rounds, and Ziebell first two rounds. There are two spots up for grabs immediately.

You could almost say he is the third player now that has been rejected by Hawthorn and picked up by us this year? Interesting...

Well, Hawthorn have 2 players from us and 1 from our affiliate side (Josh Gibson, David Hale and Isaac Smith) so I guess this is our way of getting even :p

Let's not forget that we have Wells who will miss at least the first few rounds, and Ziebell first two rounds. There are two spots up for grabs immediately.

It will be interesting to see how the club plays the Wells situation.

I am unsure about how the LTI works, technically Wells will miss games with "injury" which is long term.

If a player is carries injury in the preseason can we list him on the LTI through the Nab cup and have him able to return to the senior list in say round 3?

If the above is possible, I would expect us to do it just to give us the extra spot of flexibility, we wouldn't have to actually promote anyone unless warranted.*

*as previously stated I am unsure how the LTI works and whether this is even possible.

I am unsure about how the LTI works, technically Wells will miss games with "injury" which is long term.
We won't put wells on the LTI because he is likely to be ready by round 2 or 3.
LTI is used when someone is injured for a lengthy period and placed on the LTI for a minimum of 8 weeks during the home and away season.

We can promote a rookie prior to round 1 because we only have 1 veteran (need confirmation on this rule but i'm pretty sure). Then we can promote another rookie after round 11. also if we have any long term injuries then we can promote another rookie on top of all that.

We won't put wells on the LTI because he is likely to be ready by round 2 or 3.

I am not sure how true the above statement is. I read on the Facebook AFL offseason updates account that the down time could be slightly longer than originally thought. He will only begin full contact training around round 1, and the medical staff will monitor the effects on his body. The way it was written, it sounded like round 5 was best case scenario.

I didn't really mean that Wells should be put on LTI in any event - I was just saying that Wells and Ziebell are two players from our best 22 who won't be playing in the first 2 rounds at least, meaning that two players next in line will come into the side, who would otherwise not be in it. That may include Lynch and/or Gibson for example, if they have a great preseason and club can find a spot on the list for them. Our best 22 is hard to predict at the moment, but that Wells and Ziebell are in it when available, there is no doubt.

I am not sure how true the above statement is. I read on the Facebook AFL offseason updates account that the down time could be slightly longer than originally thought. He will only begin full contact training around round 1, and the medical staff will monitor the effects on his body. The way it was written, it sounded like round 5 was best case scenario.
i wouldn't take what that facebook afl updates posts that seriously. The club will let us know closer to round 1 when wells will be ready and it will likely be somewhere between rounds 2-5. I doubt it will take wells long to get used to the physical contact.

Welcome Aboard Gibbo and good to see someone that has worked hard and achieved his goals.Hope out of the draftees today we get some Gems.So excited for 2012 and cant wait for NAB Cup to see these young guys kick butt.Go Roos.

just watched his vid.....can roost the ball. good pick up methinks.

Slightly awkward ball drop/kicking style, but does seem to be a good kick though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back