Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

When you look at it .....theyve stated that Boomer still had one good season left, and they signed Gibson for the 1 season......I realise that they play different roles etc. Just the whole situation the way it was handled just irks me.....
You don't see it as similar to your Goldstein argument? Get rid of 'star' in favour of other, more fruitful options?

The issues aren't 100% equivalents, but surely the basic principle is the same? Allow room for what is needed more for the sake of a genuine crack at it. In the case of Boomer, the position on the field to ensure that years beyond next year will be more fruitful. If it allows a Dumont, Clarke, Wagner, Garner, or new draftee time on ground gaining much needed experience (together), and for a new generation to claim the stewardship of the club, then I'm all for it.

I continue to be staggered that people are not okay with either the rationale or more forgiving of the circumstances of the end of the career, which were not totally within the club's control. Unless Boomer called it a day, and let's face it he'd still think he'd be worth a spot at 50, it was always going to be a lose-lose situation. I think 427 timing was unfortunate too, in hindsight.

So I spoke to Arj. He wanted me to pass this on. I'd suggest putting your cups of tea down.

"Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good".

#ArjenTheGreat
Moved beyond words. I was thinking along the lines of Ovid's Amores II, poem 6, but Funeral Blues is perfect.

(Actually, now I read this again, I reckon Ovid might have lurked on Bigfooty)

Parrot, the mimic, the winged one from India’s Orient,
is dead – Go, birds, in a flock and follow him to the grave!
Go, pious feathered ones, beat your breasts with your wings
and mark your delicate cheeks with hard talons:
tear out your shaggy plumage, instead of hair, in mourning:
sound out your songs with long piping!

Philomela , mourning the crime of the Thracian tyrant,
the years of your mourning are complete:
divert your lament to the death of a rare bird –
Itys is a great but ancient reason for grief.
All who balance in flight in the flowing air,
and you, above others, his friend the turtle-dove, grieve!

All your lives you were in perfect concord,
and held firm in your faithfulness to the end.
What the youth from Phocis was to Orestes of Argos,
while she could be, Parrot, turtle-dove was to you.
What worth now your loyalty, your rare form and colour,
the clever way you altered the sound of your voice,
what joy in the pleasure given you by our mistress? –

Unhappy one, glory of birds, you’re certainly dead!
You could dim emeralds matched to your fragile feathers,
wearing a beak dyed scarlet spotted with saffron.
No bird on earth could better copy a voice –
or reply so well with words in a lisping tone!
You were snatched by Envy – you who never made war:
you were garrulous and a lover of gentle peace.

Behold, quails live fighting amongst themselves:
perhaps that’s why they frequently reach old age.
Your food was little, compared with your love of talking
you could never free your beak much for eating.
Nuts were his diet, and poppy-seed made him sleep,
and he drove away thirst with simple draughts of water.

Gluttonous vultures may live and kites, tracing spirals
in air, and jackdaws, informants of rain to come:
and the raven detested by armed Minerva lives too –
he whose strength can last out nine generations:
but that loquacious mimic of the human voice,

Parrot, the gift from the end of the earth, is dead!
The best are always taken first by greedy hands:
the worse make up a full span of years.
Thersites saw Protesilaus’s sad funeral,
and Hector was ashes while his brothers lived.

Why recall the pious prayers of my frightened girl for you –
prayers that a stormy south wind blew out to sea?
The seventh dawn came with nothing there beyond,
and Fate held an empty spool of thread for you.
Yet still the words from his listless beak astonished:
dying his tongue cried: ‘Corinna, farewell!’

A grove of dark holm oaks leafs beneath an Elysian slope,
the damp earth green with everlasting grass.
If you can believe it, they say there’s a place there
for pious birds, from which ominous ones are barred.
There innocuous swans browse far and wide
and the phoenix lives there, unique immortal bird:

There Juno’s peacock displays his tail-feathers,
and the dove lovingly bills and coos.
Parrot gaining a place among those trees
translates the pious birds in his own words.

A tumulus holds his bones – a tumulus fitting his size –
whose little stone carries lines appropriate for him:
‘His grave holds one who pleased his mistress:
his speech to me was cleverer than other birds’.

Inspirational yet damning that we'll go into Rd 1 2017 with Gibbo a certainty in the 22...Inspirational that a guy with such little footballing talent and intuition can continue to play league footy simply through hard work and determination but damning that someone not in the best 22 with more ability (and please, there's gotta be someone surely?) hasn't knocked him off his perch already and seized his spot...

But well done to Gibbo on the new deal, hard not to feel happy for him given all he's gone through to get to this point.

Inspirational yet damning that we'll go into Rd 1 2017 with Gibbo a certainty in the 22...Inspirational that a guy with such little footballing talent and intuition can continue to play league footy simply through hard work and determination...
Apart from the chronic underrating of Gibson, I get your point and, moreover, strongly endorse this sentiment:

...but [more] damning that someone not in the best 22 with more ability (and please, there's gotta be someone surely?) hasn't knocked him off his perch already and seized his spot.

You don't see it as similar to your Goldstein argument? Get rid of 'star' in favour of other, more fruitful options?

The issues aren't 100% equivalents, but surely the basic principle is the same? Allow room for what is needed more for the sake of a genuine crack at it. In the case of Boomer, the position on the field to ensure that years beyond next year will be more fruitful. If it allows a Dumont, Clarke, Wagner, Garner, or new draftee time on ground gaining much needed experience (together), and for a new generation to claim the stewardship of the club, then I'm all for it.

I continue to be staggered that people are not okay with either the rationale or more forgiving of the circumstances of the end of the career, which were not totally within the club's control. Unless Boomer called it a day, and let's face it he'd still think he'd be worth a spot at 50, it was always going to be a lose-lose situation. I think 427 timing was unfortunate too, in hindsight.

I'm not in the boat where it was the wrong call on Boomer....I'm in the boat where people wanted it to be handled better. When you hear the story of Thomas asking the question and his reaction........it just paints a picture of amateur hour footy club.

Goldstein argument sits where he is a peoples favourite ..... for years they cried why wasn't he AA. Thats because he didn't deserve it, 2015 for sure he did also for the 1st 6 rounds this season........he was on track. I'm sick of the Goldstein dance here on bigfooty but Im still adamant in the view I prefer the Hawthorn model where you get a player to do the job ( on lower salary ) and surround that player with pure class.........my post on offering him up for a potential gun forward who if we train him right , would easily slip into the number "1" mantle at the club when Petrie retired. We have Brown and I'm in the boat who is happy with him but its all a different kettle of fish next year......when he gets the number "1" backman next season. I spiced it up on Goldstein saying I didn't enjoy his soft "Gomer Pyle" ways.

On finishing on Boomer, we have many to take over his duties and yes he could of played one more year......Im sure we'd be all frapping over Turner. There's no doubt he has want many here want.......that mongrel we've been lacking. Not forgetting Garner......jesus we really need this kid to get a good run of games under his belt. Wagner, eventually >> I hope as well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the Stadium is "ours", I believe we should have a Carey End, a Blight End, A Grieg Wing and a Gibson Wing.

Stuey Anderson, Warren Campbell & Trent Nicholls will feel aggrieved but it's the right thing to do.

^ Good call, Arj. Although truth be known, I'd probably have Kasey Green over Grieg.

But right there with you on the other Wing. Fitting tribute to the club's consecutive games record holder.

Money in the bank The Other Dean!

Just waiting for the DNA results to come back from the lab for the second leg of my bet, but I think it's safe to say that my dream of upgrading from a pet membership to a human membership is finally about to be realised. Exciting times, etc.

Its ironic that some posters are having a crack at Gibbo's kicking but if there is one player i have confidence kicking for goal, its Gibbo. Kicked some real pressure goals this year and about the only player that did.

Is Gibbo limited? Yep but at least he plays with those confinements and there is not one player on our list who is as selfless as Gibbo. Honest player who sets a great example, works hard and good clubman. Damn straight he earned another year.

I haven't read the last few pages, but let me get this right. Gibbo comes third in the B&F and some people see this as an opportunity to bag him?

Let's be very clear about what's going on here. Gibbo coming third in the B&F proves beyond dispute that he is a valuable NMFC player. It proves that those who have repeatedly bagged him truly have no credibility when judging players' capability and worth. It also proves beyond dispute that those who continue to bag him after the result are not only misguided, but also too lacking in humility to accept reasonable evidence of their erroneous views.

Gibbo haters, you can continue to post your inane drivel (that means stupid dumb stuff), but understand that 90% of people will read what you post as a statement of just how little you know about football.

I haven't read the last few pages, but let me get this right. Gibbo comes third in the B&F and some people see this as an opportunity to bag him?

Let's be very clear about what's going on here. Gibbo coming third in the B&F proves beyond dispute that he is a valuable NMFC player. It proves that those who have repeatedly bagged him truly have no credibility when judging players' capability and worth. It also proves beyond dispute that those who continue to bag him after the result are not only misguided, but also too lacking in humility to accept reasonable evidence of their erroneous views.

Gibbo haters, you can continue to post your inane drivel (that means stupid dumb stuff), but understand that 90% of people will read what you post as a statement of just how little you know about football.
^ ^ Ditto Well said, young Egga

It's reminisce of his consistency and our season really.

In an ideal world where we were challenging for the flag, we couldn't afford Gibson to be top 3 in our BnF.

Still, he had a very solid and consistent season, which is more than we can say of anyone below him in the BnF standings. He also proved all class when accepting the medal, someone worthy of wearing the jumper!

Cracking post. You're a good Egga.

That said, I'm predicting that you'll still see some sad cases getting their farcical on by leaving him out of their predicted 'Round 1, 2017' sides.

But then if the last week has taught us anything, some people on here don't even football. Let alone Gibbo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back