Past Simon White

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 43. Simon White (Rookie)

The rookie listed Simon White is my 2010 Buddy, so it should be a hard task covering all his AFL games.

Hopefully Whitey gets the second nominated rookie spot this year and can crack a senior game.

And survives the kiss of death that killed off Craig Flint.

Could be good insurance if we have more injuries to our tall defenders.

As Grandpa Simpson said when he bet on roulette and was told the board didn't go that high, I got a feeling about that number....

43. Simon White (Rookie)

I liked this comment from the link Splendini posted for RR's Bullants report.

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27528
RiverRodent said:
The other pleasant surprise for me was the performance of Simon White at FB - didn't look quite tall enough but was quick enough to stay with and repeatedly spoil the leading FF.
http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27528

White would be a logical nomination for one of our nominated rookie spots.

Or to promote for Fisher.

A great leap, good pace and apparent smarts might make White good insurance for Jamison, Bower, Thornton, Austin, Carlos and Waite.

Except for T Bird, they're quite injury prone.

Kinda of reminds me of Jamison...

What pick was he in the rookie draft??? 50-odd? What are the stats on that pick making an AFL footballer?? Reckon he was an absolute bargain there.

Of course best to check with The Captain or Celtic_Pride's magical Wayne Hughes advisor first ;)

A report on White from yesterday's practice match against West Coast.
40 Michael Jamison - solid - spoiled his teammate twice resulting in goals but i think that was because he appeared concious of helping white out - needed to have more faith in white who looked good

43 Simon White - quiet - unassuming - solid defender - almost another jamo type - could be a good one too

43. Simon White (Rookie)

Bullants v Coburg - Practice Match 13/3/10
aboynamedsue said:
Another player that impressed me was Simon White. Without the benefit of a team sheet, I initially thought White was Austin, such was his composure and athleticism in defence. Admittedly, Coburg had a midget forward line, but White looks almost ready-made as a tall/medium defender. He showed good toughness to come back on in the last quarter to give another player a rest after he himself was injured in the 3rd quarter (I think it was a corked hip or similar).

Thanks to aboynamedsue for the report on Simon White.

RiverRodent said:
White looks like a complete player - ready for AFL if needed - did a great job against Magpie Anthony a couple of weeks ago and was very good again today - not flashy - not easy to recognise but always seems to do the right thing at the right time and never flustered - also a very good kick and has a bit of mongrel. The #37 for the Bullants has not played so well for years.

43. Simon White (Rookie)

Bullants vs Balwyn Tigers Sat 03/04 11am at Visy Park
isdonis.george said:
Grigg, Garlett, White, Brown, Jacobs, Hadley are ready for Seniors.

White directs play across the back line.

Mickstar said:
Joe Dare unlike Donaldson looks a born backman who just reads the play so well with outstandind anticipation.Ditto Simon White who looks like could step straight into the ones.Lokks very physical.

Thanks to Sin City for pointing out the link to these two match reports by Mickstar and isdonis.george.

If Bower doesn't come up, surely it's...

[YOUTUBE]9jykIqQxEOw[/YOUTUBE]

So we've lost Bower, yet we don't need another athletic and mature tall half back?

Erm.

It must be tempting to play White instead of Anderson on one of their marking medium forwards who always trouble us.

Anderson is brave and athletic, yet he doesn't play tall.

Monfries.

I've yet to see White, but from all reports I've posted on here, he sounds and looks like a hardnut.

White and Davies have that Dean Solomon look about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeremias, White may be 190cm, but he runs the 20m in 2.90 and is no slouch speed wise. His versatility as a defender was a feature in the WAFL, could play CHB one week, then find himself minding a Jeff Farmer the next.

A good chance to promote him and see what he offers at the top level.

43. Simon White (Rookie)

Bullants vs. Bendigo at Visy on Saturday, 10/04/10
RiverRodent said:
Apart from kicking 4 goals, Hurley was directly responsible for another couple and had various opponents according to the zones. For the most part it was White and he controlled Hurley in the air - the pair of them also gave each other a good physical test with neither giving an inch. Most of Hurley's marks came on the lead against White, Dare or Anderson. White was also effective on the rebound - we could have used him at the MCG tonight.
Bullants vs. Bendigo at Visy on Saturday, 10/4/10

aboynamedsue said:
White continues to impress. I've read posts comparing him to Jamo, but he doesn't seem to have Jamo's pace to me. He reminds me more of Austin - about the same size, equally athletic and composed. Austin might have the edge in skill, but White seems to have a little bit more intensity about his play. Probably most suited to CHB/HB. If Bower & Austin are sidelined for much longer, then surely White will be promoted

Small mercies for a Sunday afternoon. :)

He can't play unless Bower on the long term injury list?

Sounds promising, but lets wait until White plays a game before we call him a great pick up.

Recruiting is still a shot in the dark if Broughton can be drafted with pick 73 in the 2008 rookie draft.

The November draft is all about the star teenagers and upside...

:rolleyes:
WHITE
Thought he played well. Yeah he played on Hurley at different times and was occasionally beaten but such was the delivery to him and Hurley's undoubted skill that even Jamieson would have struggled to contain him. Reads the play well and is willing to leave his man to intercept and or run down the field as a link player. Did this a couple of times to create goals.
White could really come into our side tomorrow and not look out of place.

43. Simon White (Rookie)

Shaky first quarter after he didn't get some body on Burton and was beaten twice, but he quickly adjusted to the pace of AFL. 9 kicks, 9 handpasses, 11 marks, 83% disposal efficiency, three one per centers and 5 rebound 50s (second behind Walker). His rebound and desperation to throw himself at that ball were the reasons why White was picked ahead of Thornton.

Neat skills.

Promising debut.

43. Simon White (Rookie)

Blues return a tall order
Ratten told SEN Radio defender White, 21, 190cm and from the WAFL, was a revelation.

"He's a mature-aged boy from Subiaco. The WA competition is producing some really good mature-aged players who have come into the system and he's one of those players who the recruiters pumped up his physicality, and he did a great job for us."
Blues return a tall order

Shaky first quarter after he didn't get some body on Burton and was beaten twice, but he quickly adjusted to the pace of AFL. 9 kicks, 9 handpasses, 11 marks, 83% disposal efficiency, three one per centers and 5 rebound 50s (second behind Walker). His rebound and desperation to throw himself at that ball were the reasons why White was picked ahead of Thornton.

Neat skills.

Promising debut.

Nice summary TG and i totally agree. I am hoping we play White all year as i think he can be a very handy 200 game defender for us if the early signs are anything to go by. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back