Past Simon White

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 43. Simon White (Rookie)

White looked like a fifty gamer in the replay.

Showed some poise with a nice side step of an Adelaide forward and forward handpass deep in their forwardline.

Even though White turns 22 this year, he looks younger than Gibbs.

I would laugh if you said White was drafted deep in the rookie draft.

Anderson isn't this advanced after four pre-seasons.

Methinks White will have a longer career than the great Craig Flint...

After playing in two wins in his first two games, White must be pinching himself.

One against the reigning premier no less.

Loved the five bounces down the ground.

Our new barometer maybe? :D

Much like last week, seemed nervy early and was beaten a couple of times by his direct opponent.

Last week it was Burton and this week it was Podsiadly.

After the first few minutes he looked far more comfortable and was very serviceable.

Not as good as last week but very encouraging.

Thornton has some real competition for his spot in the best 22.

what does he do standing the mark??

Burtn 1.4 or something and Pods 0.4 ???

He isn't slow but he's getting burnt on the lead a bit too easily. Might be picking up the pace and reading the game up a notch.....think he'll get better with more exposure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to be a bit critical, but probably not up to it just yet.
Showed really promising signs, and will be really good in the future, but in many stages looked a bit lost, and got lost in the contest. Thornton will be a really good educator, and hopefully, Simon White will be his replacement

43. Simon White (Rookie)

White failed as a defender today because he trailed his opponent on the lead again.

Wasn't big enough for Dawes.

White was a good pick for pick 56 in the rookie draft, yet he admitted that he needs to improve his speed over the first five to ten metres.

I have a bit more respect for Austin who played well on Dawes last year and backed himself to run off him. Before the game, I was recalling Austin's game against Collingwood last year where he snuck forward and kicked a goal.

And hoping a player could reproduce Austin's and Hampson's efforts today.

Up jumped White to kick an important goal from fifty metres with a great kick.

Could White develop into a leading forward?

White needs to be dropped for a few weeks or played as a forward.

He has been impressive as a rebounding defender but at this stage is not up to it as a defender.

Game 1 on Burton
Game 2 on Podsiadly
Game 3 on Dawes

In all 3 of his games he has struggled to hold his man, especially early. It could have become really ugly for him had Burton and Podsiadly managed to kick straight.

Dawes also killed him yesterday.

At this stage White can't handle the bigger opponents but looks great when he was further up the ground. I think he showed more yesterday as a leading forward than as a defender.

Kicked a fantastic goal from the pocket that never looked like missing off the boot.

If he is to stay in the team at the moment it should be as a forward or as a runner off half back - not as a key defender.

White is a third tall at AFL level, so he has been punching out of his weight.

Dawes is a fourth year tall and a gorilla.

Might come into his own if he plays more as a third tall defender besides Austin and Bower.

If Anthony can kick 50 goals as a lead up forward, trying White forward is worth a shot.

Agreed on Dawes being a massive unit. He turned the footy over a lot but White didn't have the tank to keep up with him either. Towards the end of the 3rd quarter I saw White really gasping for breath and looked so out of it. Bower too for that matter (see Daisy running straight past Bower on the mark while he was off with the fairies..)

Was still really impressed with Simon yesterday despite his match up on Dawes. That goal from the boundary was ridiculous. Made my day tbh :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back