Player Watch #43: Todd Elton

Remove this Banner Ad

Lukey D

All Australian
Apr 9, 2010
Bundoora
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not going to harp on this too long as it has only been 1 practice match however these types of games can be so important to players needing that added confidence to help them understand that they can have a career at the highest level.

Last year I was a statistician for the Richmond VFL team and I saw young Toddy working tirelessy to improve his game and really bust his backside to make a fist out of becoming a key defender.

There were signs there all year and he was one of the standouts as the year went on and it left me with hope that under proper guidance, he could really develop into another solid key defender for us.

Today he showed this.

There was no intimidation regarding the fact he was playing on the much hyped million dollar boy(d), he just did what he had to do and I think he did it terrifically. There is no doubt it would've done his confidence the world of good and I for one am very excited to see what he may be able to produce this year onwards.

*note: change the above words 'key defender' to 'midfielder/small forward' and the name 'Todd Elton' to Matt Arnot' and the post applies to both.

Our youngsters ALL showed something today that fills me with not the hope, but the knowledge that we are going to do great things in the coming years.

Yep, he's a big solid build now.

He has the attributes to become a monster defender. He's strong, so strong that Minson couldn't nudge him over (and he tried) and ended up nearly killing himself.

I'm really liking the look of Elton and expect him to run for Chaplin's position next year.

It was a massive challenge for Elton to go up against the much hyped Boyd without any other key defender to give him a chop out. He did extremely well and if he let Boyd get on top of him the Bulldogs could have won by a lot more. His kicking was also exceptional with him making good decisions to help us rebound out of defence.

Just about my highlight of the day was Toddy's performance. I was surprised how clean he was with the ball, particularly below his knees. Seemed calm and composed, just did his job with a minimum of fuss. If he and Astbury can form a KPD partnership in years to come, and we hang on to Rance, we're gonna have a serious backline.

Really great to hear about Elton given some have suggested its a make or break year for him. Hope we persist with him as it sounds like he's got the attributes to really become a player for us. More development, hard work and coaching and he sounds like he could be a handy player to have on the list. With Rance, Chaplin, Grimes and Astbury as potential mentors, it might also help his game too.

Always said that Elton would be stiff to be shown the door when you look at how long we persevered with players like Astbury, Griffiths, McGuane, Post etc. before a few of them showed signs. Always been a massive supporter of Elton and felt that he had all the tools to be a quality tall at AFL level. Has the size, strength, athleticism and marking ability to be handy at either end, but I think as a forward he didn't understand leading patterns as he often lead to the wrong spot or got in the way of other leading forwards. As a defender, he no longer needs to have that whole spacial awareness now, and can focus on his direct opponent and killing the high ball coming in, which suits him better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Criminal Todd didn't get a run last year against the Saints , GWS and Brisbane on our run home. Would of benefitted greatly for those 4 games for the pre season. He has the talent just needs the experience .

He was a long way from ready for those games last year.

He was a long way from ready for those games last year.
That doesn't matter , we would of won those games with him getting valuable experience that's just want you do in football to develop young talls. I've seen many a champion fullback get 40 - 60 games before they deserved them.

Thought Todd di very well and surprised me greatly. The big question is if he continues on this projection, who is going to get delisted next year?
Early days but you'd say Newman, possibly Foley, one of Lloyd/Gordon, McIntosh if he doesn't show something and Dea

and can focus on his direct opponent and killing the high ball coming in, which suits him better.
Thats our one achilles heal down back is a defender who doesn't have to jump out of his skin so to speak to kill the high ball.Ok in just one contest but repeat performances in a short period of time does take its toll.Elton hopefully will remedy that in the not to distant future.

Wouldn't be upset to see him and Astbury play the next two NAB games with Rance and Chappy to cool there heels until R1.

How is his ruck work? Would be a nice option as 2nd ruck or even 3rd. Might allow Ivy to rest forward a bit more too.
Needs confidence.Rest him against Port but bring him back against nth to play on Waite(Shot of confidence just there alone before the game).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back