Player Watch #43: Todd Elton

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannot believe how harsh some people are on Elton. Thought he played ok against the Umpires Pets, but saying that, he really should have taken that grab in the square, and the missed handball was poor.
He's improving this season from what I've seen so far, and dropping him for the Crows game was a huge mistake.
He makes a contest, which is what I want him to do, would like him to kick a few goals too but I really think that'll come.
He has good hands imo, and mobility is ok. Just needs to believe in himself, and playing him can only help. Ideal age now too.
We have no one else at this stage, based on what I've seen of the 2nds. Chol nowhere near ready, nor is Moore. We have to persist with Todd, and I think he can improve. Patience required still, despite his years on the list!
Yep. Canr believe people so quick to write him off. 7 games into his career and getting better every game. Needs to stay in the side. Clearly showed something at tac as he was a top 25 pick. Just needs time and confidence

Yep. Canr believe people so quick to write him off. 7 games into his career and getting better every game. Needs to stay in the side. Clearly showed something at tac as he was a top 25 pick. Just needs time and confidence
I don't think Elton will make it, I do however believe we should give Elton and Soldo every opportunity as we will go nowhere without another at least serviceable big man.

Richmond just doesn't seem to either a) pick the right talls at the draft and/or b) develop them properly. Only the naturals like Richo and Jack Reiwoldt have really shone through. Vickery, Griffiths, Elton, McBean, were all picked early in the draft but we have not had a great return. We have to bring in bigs from other teams like Maric and Nank which has been a Richmond thing going back decades ie Dear, Stafford, Simmonds, Honybun etc to get any value. Elton has been on the list a long time and really should have shown more to this point. Now, he has the opportunity to show why he is still there but I would implore the Tigers to nail some big men in this years draft and trade period and make them into real players who could line up in a Premiership side. Ottens was a gun but left because he was probably too good for the Tigers at that stage.

1. He is a voodoo lucky charm, that will help us win the flag

2. He is super charismatic and talked his way onto an AFL list and starting 22, just such a nice guy, sweet heart.

3. Someone somewhere owes someone something. And this is the punishment.

A list of reasons why Todd Elton could still be on the list, feel free to add some more ideas

1. He is a voodoo lucky charm, that will help us win the flag

2. He is super charismatic and talked his way onto an AFL list and starting 22, just such a nice guy, sweet heart.

3. Someone somewhere owes someone something. And this is the punishment.

A list of reasons why Todd Elton could still be on the list, feel free to add some more ideas

4. Our recruiters are s**t and thought that we didn't need to recruit any key forwards, because they thought that with only griffiths and Elton (who was being played as a backman) we were set for key position players for the next 4+ years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond just doesn't seem to either a) pick the right talls at the draft and/or b) develop them properly. Only the naturals like Richo and Jack Reiwoldt have really shone through. Vickery, Griffiths, Elton, McBean, were all picked early in the draft but we have not had a great return. We have to bring in bigs from other teams like Maric and Nank which has been a Richmond thing going back decades ie Dear, Stafford, Simmonds, Honybun etc to get any value. Elton has been on the list a long time and really should have shown more to this point. Now, he has the opportunity to show why he is still there but I would implore the Tigers to nail some big men in this years draft and trade period and make them into real players who could line up in a Premiership side. Ottens was a gun but left because he was probably too good for the Tigers at that stage.
The fact we play a s**t brand of footy and for 20 years have continually played half back flankers who only kick wide and slow is as much a problem as the personnel is .

You're right we should give games to one of the young developing forwards on our list.

...oh wait, there are none. Oh what wisdom the list management at our club has.

And therein lies RFC's dilemma. Get frustrated seeing Elton's name listed each week too, but while he can mark or make a contest, we have little option. Just want him to handball rather than kick.

The fact we play a s**t brand of footy and for 20 years have continually played half back flankers who only kick wide and slow is as much a problem as the personnel is .
It's been 35 years of ordinary football and with some ordinary players after taking out a few rare and recent years. Those rare years like '95 and '01 we played attacking football. When we were a powerhouse we were fast with great bigmen. I think the Tigers are trying to be attacking again but are lacking one key ingredient. A big forward with presence for the mosquito fleet to feed off and to help free up Jack more. We just don't seem to pick them even though we try. Balme should know what I mean. He was one.

Reading through and seeing some old names, developing talls clearly isn't something we do. I'd be scared if we used a low pick on a KPP again.

On Elton, has some OK hands over-head but I'd be happy giving one of the others a go. His kicking is ordinary too.

Reading through and seeing some old names, developing talls clearly isn't something we do. I'd be scared if we used a low pick on a KPP again.

On Elton, has some OK hands over-head but I'd be happy giving one of the others a go. His kicking is ordinary too.
Therein lies the catch. We need a gun key forward but we have a poor history of picking them and developing them. I say we have to roll the dice in this years draft/trade otherwise we will struggle to step up into the top 4 anytime soon. The draft is meant to be promising for talls this year as far as I know.

Therein lies the catch. We need a gun key forward but we have a poor history of picking them and developing them. I say we have to roll the dice in this years draft/trade otherwise we will struggle to step up into the top 4 anytime soon. The draft is meant to be promising for talls this year as far as I know.
We've done OK pinching rucks from other teams, letting them put the development in and then just putting the icing on the cake - can we roll the same dice for a KPF?

Chances are they'd only be a Maric/Nank type battler, as anyone good would come with the 'good' price tag - but if they're consistent then maybe that's enough with Jack still looking like he has good footy left?

Enough is enough. Been happy for them to play him because of the lack of opportunity but it has got to the stage where we have to say sorry we can not accept that level of performance.

It really is time for both Chol and Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back