Player Watch #43: Todd Elton

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been 35 years of ordinary football and with some ordinary players after taking out a few rare and recent years. Those rare years like '95 and '01 we played attacking football. When we were a powerhouse we were fast with great bigmen. I think the Tigers are trying to be attacking again but are lacking one key ingredient. A big forward with presence for the mosquito fleet to feed off and to help free up Jack more. We just don't seem to pick them even though we try. Balme should know what I mean. He was one.

Yep, would like Jack Redpath right about now to hand out (hip out) a few solid bumps that make our smaller guys run around a bit more protected after the big fella has brought the ball down.

Elton just hasn't got that. He loses contests against small guys - not talking marking crashes, just body to body.

Its not even his 'ok' over head marking. Watching him play today, he doesn't even get in the right position to influence enough packs. That many times we kicked the ball in long and he wasn't sighted. The first thing a tall forward should learn is to be in the right position, then things such as marks or at least bringing the ball to ground can flow on from there. Don't like bashing players and optimistic on a few but the whole in our list in Eltons position is unforgivable

Once again a game lost at selection table, Elton gives us nothing and what on earth were they thinking with Bachelor?
What rorole did he or was he meant to play.......

Thats about as dumb as the Morris decision...

Edwards was underdone and was always going to run out of legs so we needed another runner

Eltons papers should be stamped its either Soldo or Chol

It's amazing that giving someone game time could actually help them develop.

Amen to that, brother.

Selection is a KEY aspect of development. Time and again we have a promising player that rots in the VFL with all and sundry heaping s**t on them, but when they get an extended run in the firsts, hey presto! It turns out that they adjust and learn and develop.

Astbury is the pin-up boy for this. Castagna. Butler. Short. MacIntosh.

McBean would have also been on the list, but he was utensil-blocked by the Tyrannosaurus.

Amen to that, brother.

Selection is a KEY aspect of development. Time and again we have a promising player that rots in the VFL with all and sundry heaping s**t on them, but when they get an extended run in the firsts, hey presto! It turns out that they adjust and learn and develop.

Astbury is the pin-up boy for this. Castagna. Butler. Short. MacIntosh.

McBean would have also been on the list, but he was utensil-blocked by the Tyrannosaurus.
If there was a ladder for Player Development, we would be multiple award winning Spooners

We've done OK pinching rucks from other teams, letting them put the development in and then just putting the icing on the cake - can we roll the same dice for a KPF?

Chances are they'd only be a Maric/Nank type battler, as anyone good would come with the 'good' price tag - but if they're consistent then maybe that's enough with Jack still looking like he has good footy left?
Talk of the town is Schache an he was a good u18 but others that know more talk of his personality as introverted. Maybe he would go well with Jack. Opposites and everything. Really it's time for me to start looking at the U18's this year and players that are poachable before I can name names.

The fact he's getting games of the basis of "making a contest" proves what dire straits the list is in.

0 goals in 5 games but as long as he can stop his key defender from marking the ball! Gee whiz
This lack of impact on the scoreboard is his problem. If he had've had a goal or 2 vs Freo,we'd be saying he's doing his job. He's moving OK, marking well, and improving slightly. (Get Levi Casboult to give him a few tips)

like being a player down

surely chol gets a go?
He is a real option, even though realistically he is not ready. It comes down to what he offers in comparison to Elton and Soldo. Probably wouldn't be any worse off with him in he team compared to those 2.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Chol couldn't do any worse? Everytime I've seen Chol play he atleast gets to contests.

It's hardly worth commenting on because he is such an ordinary, ordinary footballer.
But Elton has to be the luckiest footballer going around. Contributes barely anything and zero pressure on him to retain his spot in the team.
I would be getting games into Chol to see if he is up to it, but Richmond being Richmond, we'll extend Todd's contract for another year, keep Chol in the Twos for three more years and do a Todd Elton to him and give him a run of games in his sixth year to see if he is up to it.
When I think Elton, the first two words that come to mind are 'underwhelming' and ' ineffective'.

It's hardly worth commenting on because he is such an ordinary, ordinary footballer.
But Elton has to be the luckiest footballer going around. Contributes barely anything and zero pressure on him to retain his spot in the team.
I would be getting games into Chol to see if he is up to it, but Richmond being Richmond, we'll extend Todd's contract for another year, keep Chol in the Twos for three more years and do a Todd Elton to him and give him a run of games in his sixth year to see if he is up to it.
When I think Elton, the first two words that come to mind are 'underwhelming' and ' ineffective'.
His teammates don't seem to want to use him either if they can help it and fair enough. He's almost a permanent decoy but the other teams know he's no bother so it's useless. Doesn't read the play and can't make position. I don't know what's happening in the VFL enough to really say but Chol or Moore have to be considered surely.

I said it weeks ago and nothing has changed with game experience, Elton is a spud, if he doesnt mark it which he doesnt he is out of the contest.
At least Chol has speed and can chase, time to end the farce and give Chol a string of games.

I said it weeks ago and nothing has changed with game experience, Elton is a spud, if he doesnt mark it which he doesnt he is out of the contest.
At least Chol has speed and can chase, time to end the farce and give Chol a string of games.
Spuds are useful, Todd Elton does not have as many uses as a spud

Can't make a purse out of a sow's ear. Spud of the highest order.
Maybe,but why was he allowed to float on our list for 6 seasons?IT was obvious by his fourth season he wasn't up to it ,yet he's taken another spot for two more years.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind betting that that Chol might get elevated to the main list this week. He has to really because he played well evidently and Elton has been given more chances than he deserves. Like you said, get games into him at the very least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back