Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
My thought is if you're getting Schache you can't get Reid or Trengove (can take either one of those two without Schache), Schache needs to come down and slot straight into the AFL side to learn and improve, languishing in the VFL will not help him. Neither Trengove or Reid are coming to be anything other than best 22.

I used to think three talls worked but not convinced anymore, its the law of diminishing returns 2 makes us better but a third doesn't improve us enough to outweigh the loss of forward half pressure and speed by dropping on Rioli, Castagna, Butler and Bolton.

Three talls works .... the key is having talls on an adequate standard.
A good player will get a kick regardless of whether he is 155cm or 200cm.
The Crows function with Walker, Jenkins and Lynch.
The Hawks previouslyt played Buddy, Roughead and Gunston.
It works if you have talent.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Three talls works .... the key is having talls on an adequate standard.
A good player will get a kick regardless of whether he is 155cm or 200cm.
The Crows function with Walker, Jenkins and Lynch.
The Hawks previouslyt played Buddy, Roughead and Gunston.
It works if you have talent.

Lynch and Gunston play as third roaming talls in those systems and also very talented as you say. Jack can play that role too if we go that way, just think the game is now becoming too fast and if your extra tall is not talented enough and is not doing the right thing defensively it gets exploited.

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Lynch and Gunston play as third roaming talls in those systems and also very talented as you say. Jack can play that role too if we go that way, just think the game is now becoming too fast and if your extra tall is not talented enough and is not doing the right thing defensively it gets exploited.

Yep, wouldn't work for usas we have the worst tall forwards in the league bar none.
We have an out and out champion in Riewoldt and nothing else better than average.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Yep, wouldn't work for usas we have the worst tall forwards in the league bar none.
We have an out and out champion in Riewoldt and nothing else better than average.

Even if we managed to nab Schache and Reid I'd still rather stick with two, therefore that tells me no point getting one of them. Personally I'd go Schache as he will be around longer and has a lot of talent, you don't kick 80+ goals in 30 odd TAC+National champs games if you don't.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
You are being very generous there with average. Griffiths is below average, Elton is pure crap and chol/Moore are just rookies and while chol has moments they are unlikely to make it.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Sounds like Elton dislocated a shoulder... so now we have no KPF on the main list ;)
Meh no great Loss , Probably better for team going foward and Give Kids a run Garth,Chol will get a few games - Cant do any worse than Elton really

Love to see Chol running around, Sure he is not ready and a way off but the enthusiasm will be sensational and experience will fast track him

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Even if we managed to nab Schache and Reid I'd still rather stick with two, therefore that tells me no point getting one of them. Personally I'd go Schache as he will be around longer and has a lot of talent, you don't kick 80+ goals in 30 odd TAC+National champs games if you don't.

You need back up.
You nab one of Schache or Reid and then one gets injured you are back to Todd Elton and no better off than when you started.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
You need back up.
You nab one of Schache or Reid and then one gets injured you are back to Todd Elton and no better off than when you started.

Neither are coming as a back up. You need to look elsewhere, depending on Griff he might be your back or you look at guys like Himmelberg, Finlayson etc.. or someone doing well in the second leagues.

Gotta plan as though there will be no Griffiths - he is now a huge risk and can only be thought of as a bonus if he comes good. Elton can be held on to surely. Rather try another draftee or better still a Rookie that we have had train with us so we get a head start.

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Did we expect too much from Todd Elton? I haven't really followed him closely but he seems to have been around awhile while we have let go of other talls over the past 5 years who I am sure we all wish right now we had available ... even Tye who at the least would have 15 goals up by now (as well as driving us all spare) .

Todd kicked one goal in 6 rounds before doing his shoulder ... could he return and actually successfully fill that gaping hole as the second tall forward?

Last edited:
Todd kicked one goal in 6 rounds before doing his shoulder ... could he return and actually successfully fill that gaping hole as the second tall forward?

They can re-build him.

They would need to use some other parts though to make him a full footballer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elton is a good VFL player, and that seems to be about it. Pity. We have problems with our tall depth now. So it'll be interesting to see what happens in the off season.

SA_Tiger11

All Australian
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Do we delist then re rookie to keep on as depth in case things go pear shaped with key position depth like they have this year?

I wouldn't be against it.

Do we delist then re rookie to keep on as depth in case things go pear shaped with key position depth like they have this year?

I wouldn't be against it.
I would - there will be delisted AFL players, even some retired players better and more suited to being on our list - even for one season.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
We know Elton is barely vfl quality so there is no benefit rookie listing him in case of injury. We might as well rookie list the best vfl/wafl/sanfl chf as injury backup and who knows they might kick on a bit in an afl environment and become a good player.
Or a rebuilding side will delist a Petrie type if we are that desperate.

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
it's sad to think that an all time legend in Royce hart, who gave his absolute all for the tigers who nowadays can barely walk his knees are so crippling had to sell all his football memorabilia just to raise some money to get more surgery and improve his quality of life. compare this to the lazy useless todd Elton who will be delisted at years end having earnt well over a million dollars for never raising a sweat or giving a rats tossbag about the club. to think when we recruited him he was compared to nick riewolt on his day. well 2500 days later we're still yet to see it. I know his instructors at TIV and the sooner he's delisted the better.

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC
it's sad to think that an all time legend in Royce hart, who gave his absolute all for the tigers who nowadays can barely walk his knees are so crippling had to sell all his football memorabilia just to raise some money to get more surgery and improve his quality of life. compare this to the lazy useless todd Elton who will be delisted at years end having earnt well over a million dollars for never raising a sweat or giving a rats tossbag about the club. to think when we recruited him he was compared to nick riewolt on his day. well 2500 days later we're still yet to see it. I know his instructors at TIV and the sooner he's delisted the better.
Stupid post really.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back