Past #43: Tom Jeffries - delisted with two years left on contract - thanks for your efforts Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

'He has never played the game at any level'

Doesn't fill me with an enormous amount of confidence.
In context, union back ground (i.e./ has a brain between his ears) and chooses to join the roos over a scholarship to Princeton????? Must be confident in his abilities, north have obviously seen something in him cause thats come from nowhere. I really like it, ruckman take time to develop, and has cost us nothing and if has the ability, will learn form goldy etc. I really like it.

Agreed. Plus rugby union boys know how to tackle and they know how to run. A highly mobile 202cm 17-year-old who can tackle is ACE!
yup my boys play union up here and smash their older cousins playing footy when we head down to melbourne at christmas time. Having grown up in central victoria myself tackling was never taught and practiced at training every week the way it is in union up here. FWIW the boys switching to aussie rules next year having played rep rugby and won bnf's .....cant wait!

I still for the life of me have no idea why he gave up what he did to take this Cat B spot on our list, to play VFL Reserves next year, in a game he's never played before. He must really hate his parents.
I live in Cairns & I know of a young fella (15!) who may or may/not be a gun, but who has been poached by the queensland academy and will be moving to Brisbane next year. Apparently he will get private schooling & accommodation, professional sports training & development and ongoing support through university. All paid for just on his potential. It's the way AFL is going with this academy set up.

We'd be making a fair few promises to TJ to get him to move to Melbourne.

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

7_1411124236.gif

I live in Cairns & I know of a young fella (15!) who may or may/not be a gun, but who has been poached by the queensland academy and will be moving to Brisbane next year. Apparently he will get private schooling & accommodation, professional sports training & development and ongoing support through university. All paid for just on his potential. It's the way AFL is going with this academy set up.

We'd be making a fair few promises to TJ to get him to move to Melbourne.
That is interesting. The AFL are splashing cash all over sydney at the moment. Ive just heard they are funding St Joseph's College (think Assumption College of Rugby Union) to introduce Aussie rules, building them an aussie rules ground, paying a coach etc. Additionally, has been rumours St Augustines who've been dominant over the last 10 years and literally across the road from Brookvale Oval where Manly play (and where my boys go) will soon introduce aussie rules as a lot of kids are defecting off to the Manly Bombers who have a strong affiliation with the Swans Academy. No doubt the AFL is gaining a stronger foothold, and no reason why it won't continue to grow and quite possible become an international sport, on what scale who really knows!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is interesting. The AFL are splashing cash all over sydney at the moment. Ive just heard they are funding St Joseph's College (think Assumption College of Rugby Union) to introduce Aussie rules, building them an aussie rules ground, paying a coach etc. Additionally, has been rumours St Augustines who've been dominant over the last 10 years and literally across the road from Brookvale Oval where Manly play (and where my boys go) will soon introduce aussie rules as a lot of kids are defecting off to the Manly Bombers who have a strong affiliation with the Swans Academy. No doubt the AFL is gaining a stronger foothold, and no reason why it won't continue to grow and quite possible become an international sport, on what scale who really knows!

St Josephs in Hunters Hill? That IS a big deal for them to introduce Aussie Rules. I used to play cricket against them in a National schools comp. and had many a chat with their players about their sporting traditions etc. They'll be producing draftable players for sure in the future.

Just interested how this happened. He is the only player I know of being born in 1999 allowed to be bound to one AFL club in the year before he turns 18. Did not know 17 year olds were still allowed to be signed up. Seems like Category B rookies has no real limit.
Not on our list (B rookie) until 2018. Playing for and most likely being paid by Werribee (through us?) in 2017.

The AFL would be making rule up as they go to get kids to switch codes. He had signed a year early so he can play VFL this year and train with us. If he had not signed early and then he had played aussie rules he can't be a B rookie can he?

Like the idea getting a 17 year old category b rookie. Gives more chance and time of him making it. Will get a year in Werribee then onto our list rookie list (cat b).
Good to see him already getting around the team too, have a good feeling about this one, would imagine even at 202cm he could still grow. Could be a weapon in the ruck/forward role in a few years time
IMG_0144.jpg

that would depend on what exactly they're doing at the Anglers Tavern Beer Garden ;) #leadership #culture

I used to live round the corner from that pub. I'm sure they knew I was u18 but it was the 80s so no one cared. Just a violent tram ride to the ground for training...

Tom Jeffries = The Peeping

Tom Jeffries = The Jeff.

I'm in Northern NSW in a strong League and Union area. 10 years ago or more there were four kids from the local high school made the State u 16 Aussie Rules team, one of whom won the bandf and goal kicking at the nationals (And was BFNAAK). There is a lot of potential in kids who gow up playing league.

I used to coach an u 14s and assist an u16s side with some of those kids and they all preferred Aussie Rules to League cos it was more fun to play. Some had parents from down south and grew up learning the game but quite a few didn't and were ripe for conversion. They seemed to enjoy the freedom of the game compared to league with its offside rule and the strict structure around a line of scrimmage.

The AFL missed a chance back then and league put a lot of effort into the area. Now there is a barely an aussie rules senior comp up here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back