Past 43. Will Setterfield - Traded to Essendon*

Remove this Banner Ad

What is going on with this guy? Was all the talk among other players this pre season and has produced absolutely nothing in 2 JLT games and now round 1.

Looks timid, fumbly and lazy.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I want to praise Setters for his last month or so.

I have been keeping a close eye on Setterfield recently and I like what I see. Obviously not setting the world on fire stats wise, but he has a clear task to be a link players and in that role he has been very good. His involvements have directly lead to many positive plays and scores.

Has just a touch of Pendlebury about him, though not a classy.

Hopefully with more confidence comes even better results for Will. Great trade by SOS for this club.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I want to praise Setters for his last month or so.

I have been keeping a close eye on Setterfield recently and I like what I see. Obviously not setting the world on fire stats wise, but he has a clear task to be a link players and in that role he has been very good. His involvements have directly lead to many positive plays and scores.

Has just a touch of Pendlebury about him, though not a classy.

Hopefully with more confidence comes even better results for Will. Great trade by SOS for this club.
I domt think pendles is the right comparison

Pendlez is ome of the smartest and cleanest players ever disposal wize.

Setters doesnt have those innate skills. But setters is a ferocious tackler and is becoming more confident as our enforcer

I domt think pendles is the right comparison

Pendlez is ome of the smartest and cleanest players ever disposal wize.

Setters doesnt have those innate skills. But setters is a ferocious tackler and is becoming more confident as our enforcer

I have seen Setters setup many plays with quick hand and foot disposal, often leading to scores. Pendlez often did/does the same.

Setters is playing a part. Clearly Teague has given him a certain task and he is doing it a little better each week. I like the progress this year.

Thought his game friday was just about his best ever

Kicking looks much improved

SOS getting him for a second and third while dons coughed up two firsts for Shiel

Setters will be better than Shiel from next year onwards

Thought his game friday was just about his best ever

Kicking looks much improved

SOS getting him for a second and third while dons coughed up two firsts for Shiel

Setters will be better than Shiel from next year onwards
Yes. Different type of players but I can see Setters having much more impact, with not as many possessions. Much more scope for improvement than Shiel who has already reached his ceiling.

To think he’s 5 years younger as well..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh guys Shiel is an AA calibre player who has burst speed.

Totally different type of player to Setters. Id love Dow to become similar to Shiel as would add a different dynamic
Disagree. Shiel is a very limited midfielder who doesn’t have a huge impact on matches. Agree he has burst speed but is more of an accumulator with dodgy kicking who doesn’t hurt the opposition.

Martin, Cripps, Neale, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Boak, Josh Kelly, Shiel, Gaff, Tim Kelly, Yeo, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Cunnington, Higgins are light years ahead of Shiel.

Disagree. Shiel is a very limited midfielder who doesn’t have a huge impact on matches. Agree he has burst speed but is more of an accumulator with dodgy kicking who doesn’t hurt the opposition.

Martin, Cripps, Neale, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Boak, Josh Kelly, Shiel, Gaff, Tim Kelly, Yeo, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Cunnington, Higgins are light years ahead of Shiel.
What do you disagree with??

Sorry, thought that was obvious. He’s not an AA calibre player. He may have been on the cusp when playing with an extremely talented GWS midfield group, but not when he’s the main man.
He objectively is an AA-calibre player as he has made the AA team.

That is not "on the cusp".

If Setters makes even 1 AA team I will be happy.

He objectively is an AA-calibre player as he has made the AA team.

That is not "on the cusp".

If Setters makes even 1 AA team I will be happy.
Disagree...strongly. We are talking about the NOW. He made that when playing with an extremely talented GWS midfield group, who got him the ball. When he is the main man, or tagged, he struggles big time.

Was nowhere near AA when having to step up as the 1st/2nd best onballer in his team the last two years and has been vanilla this year. Would you take him before Dustin Martin, Cripps, Neale, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Boak, Josh Kelly, Shiel, Gaff, Tim Kelly, Yeo, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Cunnington, Higgins?

He has been nowhere near AA calibre for over three years now. I’ll happily take Jack Martin, Walsh and Setters. As many would.

Disagree...strongly. We are talking about the NOW. He made that when playing with an extremely talented GWS midfield group, who got him the ball. When he is the main man, or tagged, he struggles big time.

Was nowhere near AA when having to step up as the 1st/2nd best onballer in his team the last two years and has been vanilla this year. Would you take him before Dustin Martin, Cripps, Neale, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Boak, Josh Kelly, Shiel, Gaff, Tim Kelly, Yeo, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Cunnington, Higgins?

He has been nowhere near AA calibre for over three years now. I’ll happily take Jack Martin, Walsh and Setters. As many would.
If youre talking about right NOW (all caps per your post), would you seriously not take him before Walsh and Setterfield?

If your answer is yes, then we can end the discussion and agree to disagree.

Go Blues.

If youre talking about right NOW (all caps per your post), would you seriously not take him before Walsh and Setterfield?

If your answer is yes, then we can end the discussion and agree to disagree.

Go Blues.
Yes. The NOW I take Walsh and Setterfield ahead of Shiel. They are already better with the ball and make smarter decisions...and will do so for the next ten years.

Cheers for the chat. Love a healthy discussion.

Discussion ended.

Go blues!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back