Past Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you've lost the plot.. marchbank currency and silvagni can't crack a game at freo which has a star defender the great Zac Dawson and delisted not picked up by anybody except his cousin.. with as a rookie.. when we have a bunch of defenders.. and light on midfield

We've brought in six 18 year olds. Obviously Alex was brought in as a mature body to cover us if Rowe goes down. Marchbank is still just a kid with a handful of games experience. You can't risk throwing him to the best forwards of the game so early in his career it could smash his confidence. Not to mention, he'll be focusing on getting his body right as well given he's missed the majority of the last 4 years.

We will be bolstering our midfield with next year's draft there's no doubt about that. We didn't need to spend a rookie pick on one who will most likely not make it anyway. You act as if we've blown a massive opportunity not drafting Junker or someone of his ilk. He'll probably spend time at VFL level working with our younger prospects like Macreadie.

Is his younger brother an absolute freak? I met Jake Niall while attending a juniors game a couple of months ago, and he said that Carlton will effectively have the no.1 pick in his draft year.
You mean Ben, Jack's brother? Word is he's a decent tall forward, so who knows.

Is his younger brother an absolute freak? I met Jake Niall while attending a juniors game a couple of months ago, and he said that Carlton will effectively have the no.1 pick in his draft year.

I assume you are talking about Jack Silvagni's brother, not Alex's.

Ben is going to be a KPP. He is already taller than Jack and growing. 50 goals last season.

I hope he can help teach the young fringe defenders (like Glass-McCasker and MacReadie) how to use their bodies in marking contests. That's one thing COS is good at. And so often young defenders struggle with. (Guys like Watson, McCarthy, etc.)

And if he can help teach Gorringe not to be scared of body contact, I'd be even happier.

Lol Brown played 1 game less than Silvagni last year and had much more talent ahead of him.

Every time Silvagni plays on a big forward, he gets his pants pulled down.

Let's just hope we never have a long term injury to any of our 3rd talls or KPD

His selection smells like nepotism to me
For goodness sake, do you seriously thing MLG & Trigg would just stand by & let SOS make selections based on nepotism? This is just hogwash.

For goodness sake, do you seriously thing MLG & Trigg would just stand by & let SOS make selections based on nepotism? This is just hogwash.

I find it hard to believe that some people on here are critical of the selection because of a perception of bias.

If we were to put ourselves in SOS's position can you imagine how hard this decision would have been. He is an intelligent man both intellectually and in football terms. He would have been aware that some would perceive it as nepotism and the easiest course for him would have been to choose another rookie.

The fact that he has chosen his cousin should comfort us that he has had the courage to do what he ( and other Club decision-makers) have done. They have chosen what they see as the best option for our Club regardless of the petty sniping expected from some supporters. I have full confidence in their abililty to make the right decisions.

Seeing as we are well & truly covered for defensive players, could A. Silvagni be used in a midfield role at some stages of the season ??

The reason I ask is that he isn't tall enough to be a Key Position player but he does have a battle-hardened mature body and our smaller mids need some sort of protection out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

am i the only one that had to google 'nepotism'?

I knew what it meant, but was pretty impressed with myself for knowing it.

Once I saw we picked up Alex, I rushed to this thread very excited that I would get to use it...alas it had already been used multiple times.

I like the selection though, what would another kid that is 99% chance not going to make it add to our group?

Alex is 29, played some good footy for a finals team, is by all reports a professional who made the AFL the hard way. He will add much more to the club in experience and professionalism on the training track and in the VFL (possibly seniors). When my club was struggling I'd prefer to be playing next to the 30 year old veteran instead of the best player from the 19s.

It's also great for the culture, he would have been a Carlton supporter growing up with family ties to the club. Jack will be integral for the young group coming through and it will be great for him to have his older cousin to look up to as he develops into one of the leaders of the younger group.

Also having guys like Kerr with family ties and Ben Silvagni soon to be joining the club, I think it could really add to the club as a whole off the field, resulting in better performances on the field.

Plus he's mates with Fyfe

Or perhaps some people are a little precious, if some don't conform
No shame in being a maverick. SOS and Bolton have a papal infallibility around these parts.

For the record:
  1. I reject Bolton's assertion we need yet another KPD when we could redeploy any amount of tall timber to the backline. If we were challenging for the top 8, mission critical depth might be a different story. But we ain't.
  2. I stand by my assertion that Alex Silvagni wouldn't get rookied if his surname wasn't Silvagni. SOS may have insights and a plan but I don't buy the conspiracy theory that it was all a sinister Ross Lyon plot that he barely got a game over the past 3 years. Form? Injury? Youth policy? History will say he didn't play.
  3. I would rather have taken a chance on a kid like Dundon, Morrish, Junker, Olango, Comitogianni, Piper, etc. With the exception of Junker all of those can be picked up next year for a 3rd rounder I guess. But for those saying we never get anyone good from the rookie draft, think Carrazzo, Thornton, Jamison.
Anyway, rehashing old arguments. He's on our list now but I don't see he brings anything to the senior side that Rowe and White would. Over to you, Bolts.

Let's just focus on the positive side of things now that we have picked him.
  • Highly unlikely that pick results in a good player. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.
You will never win the tattslotto if you don't buy a ticket. To me it is a wasted opportunity. Plenty of good player have come through the rookie draft.

Or perhaps some people are a little precious, if some don't conform
don't go giving yourself tickets you can't spend, champ - you'd be the 40 billionth poster here who figured themselves some sort of upstream swimmer and failed - be a goose sure but avoid the plonkerismnessness - you have good ideas which I enjoy reading - leave the pointless intransigence to the tiger board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back