Past Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

You are really starting to worry me:

It's like I have walked into a car yard to buy a demo model vehicle, which for the money(rookie draft pick) I can spend, I am well aware I can't obtain a top of the range vehicle, even though it's cheap. Yet a cheesy salesman is trying to sell the me the benefits of a 10 year old vehicle that was never top of the range, has broken down consistently over the last 3 years, and won't give me a warranty as he knows the likelihood of it happening again is strong. While insisting the young family (44 kids ranging from 18 to 33) that traded it in, strongly recommended it would protect them in times of need. No thank, I'm not buying it.

Or perhaps you want my sarcastic response:

I am so grateful that a player of this calibre was somehow overlooked by all other clubs in the National and Rookie Draft, what could they be thinking. So grateful that even Ross Lyon had an alzheimer's moment, as to such a strong leader and mentor and made the mistake of cutting him, despite moving on a large number of other senior players.

We have more than enough players in the backline, of his type, Weitering, Marchbank. Plowman, McCreadie, JGM, Rowe, Jaksch, White. Yes some will fail, but I would rather nurture the young guys in this group than adding a 29 year old

We have enough leaders no matter what age they are.

So while I respect your opinion, there are other people in this car yard, that you can recite your spiel too ;)

Bottom line . I cant believe that you are arguing over the price. At this price the rego is worth more than you are paying, and if you had to hire a car for more than a week you would be paying more than the asking price. GTF out my yard ya time waster, and go bother someone else

Bottom line . I cant believe that you are arguing over the price. At this price the rego is worth more than you are paying, and if you had to hire a car for more than a week you would be paying more than the asking price. GTF out my yard ya time waster, and go bother someone else

Happy to take my business elsewhere, hope you keep your job :thumbsu:

I like this pickup, underrated most of the times, I used to keep a keen eye on him when he was at Failmantle just to see if this kid is any good (cos of the name lol) With him and Rowe and Whitey as the elder statesmen to help out the defense which IMHO whilst still needs tweaks here and there is solid. Hopefully anyway without Toohey. Our midfield which has glaring issues and whilst trending in the positive should in time fix itself sooner rather than later. However I feel we have gone more proactive in our scoring ability this time around. And that is alright. Alex coming in just solidifies the defense should the unthinkable happen - an injury.

If Alex comes on and plays for another 4 years (33 i think) and we pick up the rest of SOS'S kids we will have 4 Silvaginis on the list....4...

You've lost the plot. A 7 gamer is an experienced KPD? The fact that he is the best you could name should make you realize why we took a punt on Alex.
I think you've lost the plot.. marchbank currency and silvagni can't crack a game at freo which has a star defender the great Zac Dawson and delisted not picked up by anybody except his cousin.. with as a rookie.. when we have a bunch of defenders.. and light on midfield

Last edited:
You are really starting to worry me:

It's like I have walked into a car yard to buy a demo model vehicle, which for the money(rookie draft pick) I can spend, I am well aware I can't obtain a top of the range vehicle, even though it's cheap. Yet a cheesy salesman is trying to sell the me the benefits of a 10 year old vehicle that was never top of the range, has broken down consistently over the last 3 years, and won't give me a warranty as he knows the likelihood of it happening again is strong. While insisting the young family (44 kids ranging from 18 to 33) that traded it in, strongly recommended it would protect them in times of need. No thank, I'm not buying it.

But ... 53 games in 29 years. Owned by a little old lady who only used it to drive to church on Sundays.

Church must have been a long way. Maybe the recent breakdowns are an indication of its longevity :huh:

A new set of points and a cup holder, think of the possibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may not seem so silly if both Weitering and Marchbank are played forward which is not unlikely. Players get injured, I think we'll be cleaning out some guys who have been borderline or regular senior players the last few seasons come seasons end. On Field leadership, if he offers this which you think he would, will be highly valuable.

You could even add some fluffy dice, unfortunately the body is showing signs of decay

So two brake sources? Sweet.

cut-out-rust-front.jpg

Let's just focus on the positive side of things now that we have picked him.
  • Highly unlikely that pick results in a good player. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.
  • Highly likely Silver is better than a rookie prospect that we would have drafted
  • Silver is an injury insurance player obtained at a very cheap cost.
  • Silver is better than Liam Jones.
  • Silver does not get intimidated on field.
  • We paid virtually nuffin.
  • Will make Jack feel more at home.
Obviously i can't really talk up his player abilities because in reality he is a tweener. In betweener height-wise and in-betweener class wise (fits in between AFL and one level down).

Im perplexed with the anger toward this pick by some.

Its the same people that want to trade any senior player we have for picks and kids. Exactly what Melbourne did. Yes lets go with the plan that gets you belted by 150 points weekly and destroys young talents confidence.

We need some senior players to get us through the next 2-3 years....

Yes, and the aspersions being cast on SOS I find kind of baffling as well. There's been plenty of praise for SOS and the way he has been handling the list management, but suddenly some fans have decided he's not to be trusted now... o_O

im rapidly warming to this pick. just from reading a few bits and bobs he sounds like he's hard, smart and professional. freo supporters don't have anything relevant bad to say about him. that's a big factor. he's a rookie now, he's family and IIRC has left some business interests in WA to join the club - don't know what they are. i wish Alex the best of luck.
PS any chance he might be a shock KPF?

im rapidly warming to this pick. just from reading a few bits and bobs he sounds like he's hard, smart and professional. freo supporters don't have anything relevant bad to say about him. that's a big factor. he's a rookie now, he's family and IIRC has left some business interests in WA to join the club - don't know what they are. i wish Alex the best of luck.
PS any chance he might be a shock KPF?

No

how much of this is SOS looking after his own family and how much of it within the best interests of the CLUB?!

There is no way Silvagni would have picked Silvagni for this reason.
Every chance SOS may have 'trusted' Alex above others, but he would have known the dangers of the perception people may have had of this selection but he (and Bolton) went with it. Let's see how it pans out and why and we'll be better situated to cast opinion.......informed opinion.

BTW: Welcome Alex. :thumbsu:

Let's just focus on the positive side of things now that we have picked him.
  • Highly unlikely that pick results in a good player. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.
  • Highly likely Silver is better than a rookie prospect that we would have drafted
  • Silver is an injury insurance player obtained at a very cheap cost.
  • Silver is better than Liam Jones.
  • Silver does not get intimidated on field.
  • We paid virtually nuffin.
  • Will make Jack feel more at home.
Obviously i can't really talk up his player abilities because in reality he is a tweener. In betweener height-wise and in-betweener class wise (fits in between AFL and one level down).

Don't under estimate this point, he has a bit of mongrel about him which is missing in quite a few of our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back