Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

Dubbed ‘The Bull’ for his ferocious attack on the ball and man, young North Melbourne forward Cameron Zurhaar says he won’t change the way he plays despite the AFL’s crackdown on heavy hits.

“The way I play my football is the way the team wants me to play,” Zurhaar told North Media.

“It’s never my intention to injure someone on the field so I’m definitely not going to change my mindset.”

Zurhaar’s stance comes after Essendon’s Dylan Shiel and St Kilda’s Ben Long received two and three week bans respectively, for aggressive high hits.

“It’s a bit unlucky when someone gets injured from a bump but I think you’ve just got to be a bit smart and just go for the ball,” Zurhaar added.

The fixture is also being crunched with news of extended periods in interstate, and Zurhaar said the shorter breaks between games will present a different challenge.

“I think it will be a good challenge,” he said.

“Injuries and body soreness will have to be managed, obviously we have shorter game time but it’s still a very physical sport and there’s a lot of bumps and bruises and short term niggles that will effect players every week.

“I don’t think it will be possible for everyone to play every single game because of potential injury so it will be a real test of depth of your squad.”

nmfc.com

Dubbed ‘The Bull’ for his ferocious attack on the ball and man, young North Melbourne forward Cameron Zurhaar says he won’t change the way he plays despite the AFL’s crackdown on heavy hits.

“The way I play my football is the way the team wants me to play,” Zurhaar told North Media.

“It’s never my intention to injure someone on the field so I’m definitely not going to change my mindset.”

Zurhaar’s stance comes after Essendon’s Dylan Shiel and St Kilda’s Ben Long received two and three week bans respectively, for aggressive high hits.

“It’s a bit unlucky when someone gets injured from a bump but I think you’ve just got to be a bit smart and just go for the ball,” Zurhaar added.

The fixture is also being crunched with news of extended periods in interstate, and Zurhaar said the shorter breaks between games will present a different challenge.

“I think it will be a good challenge,” he said.

“Injuries and body soreness will have to be managed, obviously we have shorter game time but it’s still a very physical sport and there’s a lot of bumps and bruises and short term niggles that will effect players every week.

“I don’t think it will be possible for everyone to play every single game because of potential injury so it will be a real test of depth of your squad.”

nmfc.com

“It’s a bit unlucky when someone gets injured from a bump but I think you’ve just got to be a bit smart and just go for the ball,”

That bump where he murdered the KPD... he picked the ball up in a half volley a millisecond before he made contact. He absolutely lined the bloke up, but he also made damned sure he got that ball first. Such a good technique too, he just folds himself downwards into his upper arm and shoulder protecting his own head, and generally doesn't try to go through them. He COULD have gone through the player at the time, instead he used the contact to change direction, disposed of the ball and iirc got involved in the chain a second time.

Rare that you see a bloke so physically aggressive yet still clearly trying to win the ball. Most bumps you see these days are more to affect the other player than to take and retain possession.

“It’s a bit unlucky when someone gets injured from a bump but I think you’ve just got to be a bit smart and just go for the ball,”

That bump where he murdered the KPD... he picked the ball up in a half volley a millisecond before he made contact. He absolutely lined the bloke up, but he also made damned sure he got that ball first. Such a good technique too, he just folds himself downwards into his upper arm and shoulder protecting his own head, and generally doesn't try to go through them. He COULD have gone through the player at the time, instead he used the contact to change direction, disposed of the ball and iirc got involved in the chain a second time.

Rare that you see a bloke so physically aggressive yet still clearly trying to win the ball. Most bumps you see these days are more to affect the other player than to take and retain possession.
Yeah. Great read on him.

If he had two sides to kick with and a bigger tank he'd have gone first round. Despite those glaring weaknesses he is still an incredibly effective player. He must think about his footy a fair bit imo.

Twice, late in the third quarter, when, despite everything, we are still only two goals down, he had very gettable set shots and shanked both of them.

Needs to do better.

I think the second shot was touched by the man on the mark, not shanked. Although that's a bit of a case of semantics.

Hard to make out at times, but has his leading changed? Don't see him chest out coming at the ball as much as I remember.

Bit down on confidence. That usually happens when the ball doesn't come down too often and your only shots are from tight angles 40m out.

I think the second shot was touched by the man on the mark, not shanked. Although that's a bit of a case of semantics.

Hard to make out at times, but has his leading changed? Don't see him chest out coming at the ball as much as I remember.
The Big E's Number One Rule For Success In Life is "don't do stupid s**t".

And when you are a professional footballer taking a set shot for goal, allowing your kick to be touched by the man on the mark is pretty stupid.

Yep. Didn’t nail goal opportunities but barely saw it with our lack of F50 entries. Looked ready to murder someone from the get go.

17 other clubs would take him tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zurhaar is symptomatic of so many players currently on our list in that there is no consistency to his game. He doesn't get the ball enough. The excuse that the ball doesn't get down the forward line enough doesn't cut it. His fitness levels aren't up to scratch for him to be played anywhere else at this stage. Critically when he had the chance to arrest momentum and kick two crucial goals he shanked them. Neither shot made the distance from 40 metres out. Incredibly deflating for the team considering how hard we'd worked to get those precious few opportunities.

Don't get me wrong I love the way he plays (that tackle!). The rest of the list needs to follow his aggression when it's their turn however Cameron disappears far too often for lengths of time. The problem right now for North is that he's one of many.

Probably.

IMO he is not yet a proven quantity. I like the hits but I'm yet to be sold that he will be a consistent footballer.
Agreed, has the skill set but doesn't do enough for me yet.

And like the rest of our players (Larkey excluded) look like they are kicking with a flat football.

Reckon his overall pressure index is down but I would be surprised if he isn't carrying an injury. Remember he had 13 tackles against Richmond last year and off the top of my head regularly would have 3-6 tackles a game. No concerns here though, the kid is a jet and let him cause a bit of commotion over the past 6 weeks and let him loose on a big pre-season next year. needs help up forward from another pressure forward, I don't think that's going to be Mahoney in the long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back