Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - North Melbourne has offered a five-year deal to stay at the Roos

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Love Zurhaar. Has been a livewire from his first game, plays with so much energy and aggression.

Someone mentioned in the matchday thread how there was a point he was mowing through opponents like a bowling ball. Watching the replay last night he did exactly that.

Sometimes despite all the attributes some players just don't ever seem to produce scores and others do. Cameron just seems to naturally find the goals.

The strutt is back

Screenshot_20190415-124249_Instagram.jpg

Love Zurhaar. Has been a livewire from his first game, plays with so much energy and aggression.

Someone mentioned in the matchday thread how there was a point he was mowing through opponents like a bowling ball. Watching the replay last night he did exactly that.

Sometimes despite all the attributes some players just don't ever seem to produce scores and others do. Cameron just seems to naturally find the goals.
Makes things happen. Might not kick the goal himself but he influences the contest so much that it leads to opportunities for others

Although he nearly ran too far for that goal in the last quarter. I reckon another couple of steps and we could have been pulling our hair out...

Zurhaar is the only genuine “mongrel” in our team. He’s a borderline dirty player. While I don’t necessarily like that sort of thing, it’s undeniable that every successful team needs one. He lays waste opposition players - “accidentally “. The sight of Crouch leaving the ground was very much part of our surge in the third quarter. While it looked like an accident, opposition players are always in danger of getting hurt when Cam is around. Jed, obviously, is a beast. However, he plays very fairly. Zurhaar, on the other hand, is always pushing the line of fair play. Witness the cocked elbow after he scored his goal. Remember the “push” against the Hawks last season that sent the player into the Etihad fence? This guy ensures that the opposition players are constantly wary. We need that in our team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Zurhaar is the only genuine “mongrel” in our team. He’s a borderline dirty player. While I don’t necessarily like that sort of thing, it’s undeniable that every successful team needs one. He lays waste opposition players - “accidentally “. The sight of Crouch leaving the ground was very much part of our surge in the third quarter. While it looked like an accident, opposition players are always in danger of getting hurt when Cam is around. Jed, obviously, is a beast. However, he plays very fairly. Zurhaar, on the other hand, is always pushing the line of fair play. Witness the cocked elbow after he scored his goal. Remember the “push” against the Hawks last season that sent the player into the Etihad fence? This guy ensures that the opposition players are constantly wary. We need that in our team.

Lol. Of course, I forgot Cunnington - the Pitbull of mongrels!

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Although he nearly ran too far for that goal in the last quarter. I reckon another couple of steps and we could have been pulling our hair out...
Like JZ and KT, he doesn't trust his kicking for goal at the moment and obviously decided he will run almost to the goal square to make it a certainty. Would have run 20 metres, and thankfully got a bit of leeway there.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cam stays in for mine, has a habit of bobbing up for a goal when a goal is sorely needed.

A classy goal yesterday. Better than the #1 ruckman. Cam should be playing every week. With him and Cunners and Jed at least we have some guys to go hard full time.

Should get the number 11 when he moves to the senior list.

And should definitely play this week.
Might also qualify for Pikeys' #13 Same height and almost same weight as Pikey as well. A little bit of Gary Cowton too :-D

Cam Zurhaar is hell-bent on making a name for himself off the back of his physicality and attack on the ball.

Stats have become less of a focus for the North rookie, with more effort going into his pressure acts and one-percenters.

“I’ve been putting a big emphasis on making sure my opponent knows I’m present around the footy through my forward pressure and physicality," he said.

“That physicality is massive for me, and I think that’s why I get a game. It comes naturally to me, but I want to improve on it every single week to become a real force in the forward-line and bring all the pressure I can.

“Pressure’s obviously a big thing for me, so I just want to get as many pressure acts as possible, but also get on the scoreboard.

“Stats such as pressure acts help us measure that. I try and get as many of those as possible, but then if I’m not doing that, hopefully I’m getting goals and assists.”

While he was arguably one of North’s best in Round 5, the number 44 didn’t quite see it the same way.

“I probably need to lift,” Zurhaar admitted.

“Every week there’s always room for improvement.

“I had a pretty good pressure game in my first game back, but my match last week wasn’t too crash-hot.

“I managed to get on the scoreboard however, and get a few more touches than normal.”

The hard-nosed Roo finished the game with 14 disposals and 6 marks, which came from spending a relatively large amount of time in the middle of the ground.

In similar fashion to last season, North has used Zurhaar in the ruck at times in a bid to relieve Todd Goldstein.

“I was playing ruck a little bit so I managed to get up the ground and be on the end of those hit-up kicks,” he said.

“I managed to be a bit of link through the midfield into the forward 50 which was good.

“If playing ruck gets me a game, then I’m happy to play it.

“If I don’t win the tap, which is likely, I’m going to put more pressure on as another midfielder.”

Back