Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' & 'team success'

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s just not the sort of player who is going to protect himself with how he attacks the footy and the man. I am happy to cotton wool for the last month.

Surgery now.

If that's the end solution then yes, agree completely. If surgery isn't in the equation I'd be resting him for 1-2 weeks. He's a big part of 22 onwards.

I said it in the game day thread but I don't like players getting by taking a jab or two for each game, and it was pretty clear he went into the rooms at least once for exactly that. We're not competing for finals, Zurharr has redeemed himself with his form turn around confirming how important he still is to our future, and we have a first year player beyond due for a game in his role.

I can't claim to know the in and outs about the exact nature of his injury, painkiller usage, surgery prospects, or any associated risk factors... BUT i'd be shocked if he wouldn't benefit from at least a week or two off.

Credit to him for playing through the pain though. More than a few players lack that edge.

I said it in the game day thread but I don't like players getting by taking a jab or two for each game, and it was pretty clear he went into the rooms at least once for exactly that. We're not competing for finals, Zurharr has redeemed himself with his form turn around confirming how important he still is to our future, and we have a first year player beyond due for a game in his role.

I can't claim to know the in and outs about the exact nature of his injury, painkiller usage, surgery prospects, or any associated risk factors... BUT i'd be shocked if he wouldn't benefit from at least a week or two off.

Credit to him for playing through the pain though. More than a few players lack that edge.

I mean sure, a gun player taking a jab for a Prelim or something - if it passes medical muster go for it. But not in the position we're in now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

surgery and rehab for the rest of the year.
give ford a run in similar position.

Zurhaar is the epitome of North at the moment. He needs to be on the park at all times - unless he’s physically incapable. That just the way it is.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He has shown enough this year..
If he has an injury there’s no point waiting till the end of the season might as well mothball him, so he can get ahead of his rehab and show up fresh first day of the preseason.

He’s a heart and sole player. Absolutely bleeds or the club. The talk of him being rested or sent to surgery (although I do agree) isn’t realistic. He’d go down kicking and screaming. Wants to play every week for the team.

Despite him not being 100%, having him play causes oppo coaches to put time into him, which in turn benefits the other forwards.

He has shown enough this year..
If he has an injury there’s no point waiting till the end of the season might as well mothball him, so he can get ahead of his rehab and show up fresh first day of the preseason.

Yeah, but a lot of this depends on the players themselves. If they really want to play on and they’re performing, you can’t get in their way. It’s just human nature. You can’t mess with a player like Cam. Just watching him yesterday with his jersey torn and so committed hammers that point home. Sometimes logic has to take a back seat, don’t you think, DR.

Yeah, but a lot of this depends on the players themselves. If they really want to play on and they’re performing, you can’t get in their way. It’s just human nature. You can’t mess with a player like Cam. Just watching him yesterday with his jersey torn and so committed hammers that point home. Sometimes logic has to take a back seat, don’t you think, DR.

As an organisation sometimes you have to take the decision away from them and protect the players from themselves.. next year rightfully should be our focus and a fit and Zurhaar is a priority..
If he took an injection to get through the game, I’d personally mothball him for the rest of the year.

As an organisation sometimes you have to take the decision away from them and protect the players from themselves.. next year rightfully should be our focus and a fit and Zurhaar is a priority..
If he took an injection to get through the game, I’d personally mothball him for the rest of the year.

I can only agree if we’re tanking.

He’s a heart and sole player. Absolutely bleeds or the club. The talk of him being rested or sent to surgery (although I do agree) isn’t realistic. He’d go down kicking and screaming. Wants to play every week for the team.

Despite him not being 100%, having him play causes oppo coaches to put time into him, which in turn benefits the other forwards.

Such a heart and soul player as you say. But do you think he could want to return home to Perth at the end of his current contract? Whilst it might be reading too much into it, I get a feeling (only through my interpretation of recent interviews of his) he may be homesick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They're awesome traits and 10x so if or preferably when we're starting our launch towards a premiership.

But hopefully the club have learnt their lesson from days past and we don't let a player's own lion heart ruin their long term career.

I vote to mothball him now. Denis Pagan dragging Wayne Carey in the last quarter type of stuff.

Such a heart and soul player as you say. But do you think he could want to return home to Perth at the end of his current contract? Whilst it might be reading too much into it, I get a feeling (only through my interpretation of recent interviews of his) he may be homesick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You amy be right but I think Covid hasn't helped when it comes to him being able to see his family over the past 18 months. Think his love of the club will win out (fingers crossed).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back