Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - [AFL.com] NM offers 5yr deal - CZ interest from SYD/GC - CZ mgr says 'wants to see improvement' - out vs GEEL (calf)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did everyone hear Brereton finally twig after Zurhaar slotted goal from 50m/60 degrees out - “Boy, he’s more than just a bull at a gate!”

This is Australian sports commentary summed up. ‘Experts’ (in footy, obvs not commentary) so attached to a cliché (‘boy Ben Brown’s run up eh?’, etc) and so incapable of thinking someone could be more than one thing at a time (a wrecking ball AND skilful) catching on about 12 months too late.

There's many things Derm is but someone who underrated Zurhaar he is not.

He's genuinely capable of kickign 50+ next year and become a bona fide superstar. He literally has it all. Not only has a got plenty of campaigner and aggression, but his genuinely excellent skills are finally getting recognition. He's a special player.

If he's not twice as fit as he was at the start of the year I'll eat my beanie. He's running hard and smart which is creating more opportunities.

As to this game in particular I think I might be able to source another display picture from when Razor paid a free for a high fend off against him.

Ripping goal on the run from near the boundary too, shame the commentators were talking over eachother regarding an injury.

Career best year for Cam, geez who remembers the first five weeks we he was doing a Greg Chappell ? Wouldn't make for good reading now. he copped it on here.

He deserved it. Along with Larkey he was stagnant and barely moving. Noticeably leaned up, started working hard but fluffing easy chances and that's when the commentary on here started to turn more favourable even when he wasn't getting the results. Then it turned, his confidence picked up and now he's killing it.

There's many things Derm is but someone who underrated Zurhaar he is not.

I wasn’t making a comment about him underwriting him. It was more about pigeonholing him as a tough nut and missing the skill that he has as well.

Go back and listen to the commentary again. It’s like a moment of revelation.

If you had of told me that he’d end up with 30+ goals for the year after round 6, I would’ve answered with “what in the VFL?”….

Big props to both he and Larkey for putting in the work and turning their years around. Now you need to attack this preseason with the same vigour and take your game to another level next year.

There were those moments when the Swans were scrapping for the footy and the game was getting away from us.

In comes Cam Z with a blistering tackle and absolutely smashes a few of them to keep the 50s in our favour followed by Jed with red eyes.

I swear I'd need my whole drawer of underpants to play against these rhinos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The look he gives Razor after that garbage high fend off call was brilliant.

He's getting really good at biting his tongue and just giving death stares at the umpire.

He deserved it. Along with Larkey he was stagnant and barely moving. Noticeably leaned up, started working hard but fluffing easy chances and that's when the commentary on here started to turn more favourable even when he wasn't getting the results. Then it turned, his confidence picked up and now he's killing it.

yep smack on. Didnt look fit.He looked like he'd spent the off season enjoying himself a bit too much.
Started getting fitter as the season went on, then had a few games where he was trying his bum off, but just lacked confidence.

full credit to him getting back to his best.

his next contract will be a beauty if he keeps this up

Considering how much Zac Bailey, Gary Rohan, Jordan De Goey and Isaac Heeney get praised as superstars and game breakers, I was surprised to find that Zurhaar’s goal kicking tally for the season was better than all of them! Not necessarily by much, but the point still stands.

The only third tall types with better goal tallies are Toby Greene, Bayley Fritsch, Luke Bruest & Jake Stringer.

That’s despite us being garbage for the first half of this year.

He has been elite for his position since the bye!

Considering how much Zac Bailey, Gary Rohan, Jordan De Goey and Isaac Heeney get praised as superstars and game breakers, I was surprised to find that Zurhaar’s goal kicking tally for the season was better than all of them! Not necessarily by much, but the point still stands.

The only third tall types with better goal tallies are Toby Greene, Bayley Fritsch, Luke Bruest & Jake Stringer.

That’s despite us being garbage for the first half of this year.

He has been elite for his position since the bye!

They showed some stat, it was either since round 7 or in the last 7 rounds (can't remember which), he's 8th in the AFL for goals. If he does that next year the AA squad is virtually a lock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back