Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Could have broken into the best 22 ? .... WTF?

Spare me!, guy isnt and never will be an afl standard footballer. Thanks for your services cruizer but like every one else that wants out well you can all **** right off.

No great loss.

You remind me of the flogs that inhabit the Australian Army. People give service to the nation for a period of time. When they decide to move on to other things they get abused and sent to Coventry. A s**t attitude by them does not translate into a better attitude here.

If he isn't and never will be an AFL (sic) standard footballer, why the abuse? In 20 years time it would be nice to think that Cruize or any other person be it player or another would be welcomed back with open arms, not left out in the cold with, "Piss off you flog, you were never any good" ringing in his ears from a bunch of ungrateful supporters.

Me, I hope he gets picked up and tears it apart with someone else, handy player with a great attitude.

Saying he's not good enough is pretty simplistic and perhaps slightly ignorant.

I could name 5 players that Cruize could get a game ahead of in our team, however he doesn't because of reasons I'll never know - coaches plans? Compromising polaroids? I'll never ever know.

And I'm hardly, barely, not even a Cruize apologist. He's a nuggety little dude who tends to go un-noticed until you read the sheet at the end of the game and find '20 disposals/6 clearances/2 goals' etc, and you have a 'sheepers, that's not bad' moment.

I mean, that's probably a bit better than noticing someone all game because of their monumental ****ups, and then reading the stat sheet and going 'well, yes, but it does say 75% disposal efficiency. No matter that that handball in the third quarter hospitalised one of our players'.

I'll end with a statement I have thought about at length:

Hamish McIntosh doesn't get a game for us because he is not a good footballer.

if Garlett doesn't get offers from elsewhere, would he stay with us and take up his 1 year contract that we offered him initially?

He walked out on us........Don't think you can all of a sudden change your mind and expect to have the same contract available just because the grass wasn't greener on the other side.

Our planning would now be without him in our calculations and that may affect some of our trading / drafting business, so our future plans would be highly disrupted.

It would be highly unlikely to happen.

He walked out on us........Don't think you can all of a sudden change your mind and expect to have the same contract available just because the grass wasn't greener on the other side.

Our planning would now be without him in our calculations and that may affect some of our trading / drafting business, so our future plans would be highly disrupted.

It would be highly unlikely to happen.

thought as much. it wasn't as though he was testing the waters...if thats the case i really hope he gets on a list next year. it would be a shame for him to have walked out on us only to end up playing in the WAFL or something to that degree.

it would be a shame for him to have walked out on us only to end up playing in the WAFL or something to that degree.

From Cruize's POV, he's probably thinking " It's been 5 years. My papers have been stamped and it's apparent I'm not going to get a gig regardless of what my form is like. I guess I'm just not rated. If I don't get picked up by another club, then I'm still looking sat another year playing second tier Victorian footy. May as well head home and play WAFL if that's the case."

Can't say I blame him really.

if Garlett doesn't get offers from elsewhere, would he stay with us and take up his 1 year contract that we offered him initially?

I hope so. There's every chance that he'll get more opportunities next year through injuries.

He's not all that different to Jarryd Blair who just continued to excede expectations.

Yeah, put me down as another one who has never really been much of a spruiker of Cruize's, but feel that he's being a little undersold by some folk. Having good depth players on your list is an important piece of the puzzle. Players with (yep) mature bodies (Tef TM) that can maintain their formline in the VFL and are ready to come in and make a meaningful contribution to the 1's when required - just as Cruize did for us this year. This whole 'no great loss' line pushed by some posters seems to lack a little context.

When a few of our blokes went down this year, Garlett was brought in to help bolster our (inside) Mid stocks. For the matches he played, he ended up third for the year in average Clearances per game (behind Swallow and Jack). He had a solid second half of the season, as did the team, despite the potential disruptions (through injury and supension) to our run to the finals. Would have thought that's an example of the whole "depth" thing in action.

Either way, I've enjoyed Cruize's contribution this season (and others). He's been a good servant of the club, and I'm not too sure why anyone would want to be sticking the boots in at this point. I wish the bloke all the best. (Sure he'll be over the moon to hear that, too.)

Oh, and while I'm ranting away here, let me also add how much I hate this lame "well, if he's so good, he'll have no trouble getting picked up by another club" argument that people like to throw out there in relation to our fringe dwellers. So simplistic it makes my head hurt. They may get a gig elsewhere, they may not, but that's hardly the definitive measure of whether they are/were of value to our club, or to what extent their departure will affect us.

Okay, that's probably enough crapping on for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trouble with trade talk is that you start overstating the case pretty quickly, because that's the tone of the discussion. A player is either awesome, will be great when another club uses them properly, or rubbish, no-one will want them and they never did anything. Any injury history and you're injury-prone, don't maintain an appealing Twitter account and you're FIGJAM. Either the player is crap or the club is treating them like it.

The truth is hardly ever that dramatic.

Cruize has been hard working and handy in the VFL, and has stepped in manfully when he's had the chance, without setting the world on fire (which players hardly ever do when they suddenly step up the grade). From the club's perspective, worth another contract but not a long term commitment. From his perspective, after some good visible game last year, a good time to see if another club would put him higher up the pecking order - and if not, a time to think about whether, if he's going to have a solid career at the second tier, he wouldn't rather do that near his family. There's no real need to make this process a condemnation of either him or North.

You remind me of the flogs that inhabit the Australian Army. People give service to the nation for a period of time. When they decide to move on to other things they get abused and sent to Coventry. A s**t attitude by them does not translate into a better attitude here.

If he isn't and never will be an AFL (sic) standard footballer, why the abuse? In 20 years time it would be nice to think that Cruize or any other person be it player or another would be welcomed back with open arms, not left out in the cold with, "Piss off you flog, you were never any good" ringing in his ears from a bunch of ungrateful supporters.

Me, I hope he gets picked up and tears it apart with someone else, handy player with a great attitude.

Id like to know how i was abusive, "not best 22" "not a great loss" that part?. If its where i said "**** right off" thats wasnt directly at Garlett it was saying if you dont want to be here, like everyone else they can **** right off.

And i can guarantee to you mate that i have never and never will abuse or hate on any formee/current/future members of our force. I aint like that never will be.

Garlett is a perfect depth player, but if he goes, the problem we've got is that our midfield has precious few ready made back up options. We need to be mindful of that during trade and draft time.

Garlett is a perfect depth player, but if he goes, the problem we've got is that our midfield has precious few ready made back up options. We need to be mindful of that during trade and draft time.
Im very surprised that North haven't brought in a midfielder via Free Agency/trading yet.....We really need another mature body in there next season.

Im very surprised that North haven't brought in a midfielder via Free Agency/trading yet.....We really need another mature body in there next season.
Well, there's only two weeks to go......

Regardless of whether Garlett is picked up or otherwise, I believe he was poorly treated this year. Not previously so much, but definitely this year.

It's one thing to have a commited youth policy, another to ignore players that are brought in to do a job and deserve to keep their spot based on performance. If a more highly rated or younger player has to make way because they are out of form, or come back through the VFL to get their next chance, so be it.

We might lose a few important depth players purely because they obviously feel that their output does not enter the equation in their selection. I also believe such an approach to best 22 selection has compromised our results the last two years.

Further, I don't think the thread title is appropriate.

One might argue instead that NM in fact turned its back on Garlett by dropping him repeatedly despite playing good footy, when other players floated through on worse form. He has every right to pursue a better opportunity elsewhere, and is far from "turning his back" on NMFC.

He's chosen to leave the club and explore other possibilities himself so, whatever the reasons behind it and no matter how justified they may be, he is, for want of a better less confrontational phrase, "turning his back" on North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back