#44 Jack Buckley (Cat B [NSW Zone] selection, 2018 Rookie Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Jack Buckley
upload_2017-11-28_13-31-3.png

The GIANTS have listed local forward Jack Buckley as a Category B rookie ahead of the NAB AFL Rookie Draft on Monday afternoon. Buckley is a key forward who played the maximum five NEAFL games for the GIANTS Reserves as a top-up player this season. He represents the UNSW-ES Bulldogs in the AFL Sydney competition and is a strong contested mark and has good athleticism for his size. The 19-year-old won AFL Sydney’s Under-19s League Best and Fairest in 2016 and was a member of the Swans Academy in his teens. Competitive and with a good work-rate,
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-11-27/local-product-buckley-joins-the-giants

Last edited:
Wow, 5 1/2 years since welcoming him to GWS, and this is the story I have to post on him ... a slow burn, overnight success story! Nice to see the mainstream media picking up on what GWS posters had already realised - we have the best KPD duo in the competition in Sam Taylor & Jack Buckley.

GWS Category B Rookie Jack Buckley has “come from nowhere” to become one of the best key defenders in the competition, according to Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne.

Buckley, who has played 25 career games, has carried a heavy load in defence for the Giants, particularly since Sam Taylor went down with injury in Round 6. Hoyne revealed that the 25-year-old Buckley has competed in 13 more one-on-one contests than another key defender and is rated elite at both winning and halving those contests. “What he’s been able to do this year, I had a look at his numbers last week and it took me by surprise – I had to sit back and watch him against Aaron Naughton this week and I thought the battle was fantastic to watch in pretty challenging conditions,” Hoyne told SEN’s Sportsday.

“What he’s done this year has been phenomenal for a key defender. He’s had the seventh hardest matchups in the competition. He’s been involved in 49 one-on-one contests. To put that in perspective the next most one-on-one contests is 36. He’s been involved with 13 more than any other player. In terms of his ability to win those one-on-one contests, it’s elite. He also doesn’t lose those contests, that’s also rated elite. What he’s been able to do in terms of ball winning and ball-use perspective, he ticks all the boxes."

“For the next 10 years, you can lock away a gun key defender in Sam Taylor and then this guy has come from nowhere I don’t even think they expected him to do what he’s done. He’s gone from strength to strength this season Jack Buckley.”

He was selected out of the Giants’ Academy zone in 2018 as a Category B Rookie.

Last edited:

I reckon if you asked 1000 opposition fans about "Jack Buckley", 990 of them would range from not even recognising the name to barely knowing who he is, but having no idea of how well he performs on the AFL field. And of the other 10 who know a bit more, perhaps 1 would give him the recognition that he deserves.

The same would largely be also true of Sam Taylor three years ago, before his exploits did make him more recognised. But what a fantastic partnerships Bucks and Taylor make, and more widely, the entire backline that is performing so well for GWS.

This is a very good story, and worth a read for Giants fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back