Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
You are so wrong.

I don't seem to love Clarkson. I do. Huge man crush. Wish he was our coach. Can we steal him? I am obsessed. Picture on the roof above the bed. Got a blow up doll with a Clarko mask. Dreamy.

I would swap Horse for him every day of the week and feel dirty at the inequity of it all. Wouldn't you? Would you swap Horse for Clarkson?

Totally agree Lloyd is out of form but the fact remains it can't be easy playing in this structure if you have a brain. Disagree he has options from your previous post as that is the issue actually - there are few options made up of a vacant forward line or outnumber up the line a lot of the time but ok, let's go with he sees options everywhere.

Sort of doesn't compute with the fact, as Grim showed in the OTC graphic, we sit in the highest possessions per goal category alongside other powerhouses like Brisbane, Carlton and St Kilda. Must be all those options he sees. Options...options everywhere. If so how come we take so many possessions to score?

You see space and options - I see congestion and stagnancy. I see a kid desperate to give the ball to advantage but because we play in a tiny portion of the field he struggles to find an open target. You see some guy hesitating and spudding it up. That's fine. We all see the world in different ways.

I am just happy we have a gem of a kid that works his guts out to get a whole heap of the ball and his first instinct is to not bomb it away but look for something.
More of the same from Lloyd. Everyone else was up and about. Stops, thinks, ignores options, kicks to opposition.

Clarko. Isn't he the same coach who took the 2008 premiers with a list loaded with talent and failed to make the finals in 2009 before falling at the first hurdle in 2010, scraping to a prelim in 2011 and losing the un-losable GF in 2012 ? If he'd been our coach fans would have been screaming for heads to roll.

Hawks have a far more talented list than us at present. Players who can hit targets. Inside grunt, outside speed, a forward line that saw Buddy as superfluous and a pair of the best defenders going around (traded - something we can't do).

Yes we could swap Clarko for Horse but it would make bugger all difference.

More of the same from Lloyd. Everyone else was up and about. Stops, thinks, ignores options, kicks to opposition.

Clarko. Isn't he the same coach who took the 2008 premiers with a list loaded with talent and failed to make the finals in 2009 before falling at the first hurdle in 2010, scraping to a prelim in 2011 and losing the un-losable GF in 2012 ? If he'd been our coach fans would have been screaming for heads to roll.

Hawks have a far more talented list than us at present. Players who can hit targets. Inside grunt, outside speed, a forward line that saw Buddy as superfluous and a pair of the best defenders going around (traded - something we can't do).

K

Bird for brownlow was a better call than that

This is a joke right? If we had Clarkson as coach instead of Horse I would sign my life away we'd win a premiership with the current list.

Right now, Clarkson for Longmire would make a significant difference because Clarkson has mastered the art of coaching. It didn't happen overnight though, it took even Clarkson a fair fews years to realise that other teams have found out his gameplan and it was necessary for him to change. Just like players coaches learn on the job as well. Horse is a pretty slow learner right now but I don't think people should be throwing him under the bus, we probably need to bring in someone with fresh ideas into the coaching to help him come up with a new plan.

This is a joke right? If we had Clarkson as coach instead of Horse I would sign my life away we'd win a premiership with the current list.

No we wouldnt because aside from Jetta how many would get a game under Clarkson because they cant kick? he dropped Suckling after their loss to us in round 8 because he made a FEW clangers by foot..

No we wouldnt because aside from Jetta how many would get a game under Clarkson because they cant kick? he dropped Suckling after their loss to us in round 8 because he made a FEW clangers by foot..

Clarkson would modify the gameplan to suit our lack of kicking ability and emphasise other strengths. That's what a good team coach does. Look at Simpson with no backline.

Clarko is a great coach with a list moulded perfectly to fit his vision. When players drop off he replaces them & updates some of the game plan... To say he'd somehow be amazingly better than Horse though I'm not so sure. I agree that success would have a lot to do with his personal level of coaching skill but you can't unserestimate the players skills themselves. You don't often get teams laden with such superstars willing to stay together to dominate. I know Hodge, Mitchell, Lake, Burgoyne, Rioli etc could all have played elsewhere for more coin but chose not to. That's somthing Clarkson should feel very lucky & proud about. To find a group of players willing to think & act like that is the ultimate for a coach. They are 100% committed resulting in a higher level of talent in one team than you otherwise would have been able to afford had they not chosen to stay on board.

That luck extends to things like "Is that young kid going to develop as we wanted?" or "is that vetern we drafted not going to break down?"

Also the timing of being coach has a bit to do with it. Can you get all of the list maturing & firing at the same time? This would be difficult & often luck comes into this (in terms of players exceeding or under performing expectations).

Lastly, I think the support around clarkson has been super important to his success. He has had a consistant & developed team of assistants & support staff to rely on. Just like the playing group, is there a "go home" factor in choosing assistants etc? Could Horse pick assistants from a huge range of backgrounds from the state (where there are a majority of footy people / eg. vic or sa) or was he slightly limited in those willing to either move or stay in Sydney as an assistant coach (instead wanting to raise their families back home where their family/friends live for example). Clarkson had the Victorian talent pool to choose from, players from the 80s & 90s mostly from Vic... hopefully in 10-20 years time this will be less of an issue thanks to the academies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still seems weird to me that so many comments are on some second year kid when far more influential players are spudding it up for no apparent reason.

Hanners for example, never the best kick I admit, but he has gone from meh with skills to "OMFG what the hell are doing to it you idiot". When he gets the ball 60 out I automatically hope our defence is set for the incoming rebound. It is like a pandemic.

Lloyd is an easy target as there are not a huge lot of credits in the bank. He is hardly a primary issue at the moment. More a third level of importance one.

McPointy had 30+. Dunno how you can have a 30+ possession game but still be deep on on shite level indicator but he managed it. I know which is more concerning to me.

I guess other peoples mileage vary.

people gave mcveigh votes

not sure what game was on tvs around the country but he was ratshit most of the night

It's all about the "stats" man. Get dem stats baby. 20 across the half back line is the awesome sauce when you hand off to the other 15 guys we seem to have hanging around having a durri and a cocktail.

Maybe. But if you don't laugh you cry.

The point is stats can be meaningless without context.

I did consider not giving McVeigh votes after I heard Robinson, King and Brereton talk his game up, but I decided to go with what I saw. Nothing to do with stats. In fact when I looked up his stats I was surprised he had so much of the ball.

Fair enough but that doesn't equate to denigrating fellow supporters opinions by saying what you said, but yes each to their own.

about their tvs yeah sorry about that

So where do people stand on his spot in the 22 now.

I still think he is best 22, but you have to expect some inconsistency in his play right now as he is still young and devloping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back