Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd - 2018 Bob Skilton medalist

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Should play wing, bring one of COR or Thurlow into his defence position. Might kill 2 birds with one stone, get a more aggressive ball user out of defence, and the midfield might get a boost is Lloyd starts having 20-25 straight line possessions into the forward half...where he can actually use his 15m kicks to more effect, and as a byproduct cuts out his 10-15 crabbing backwards and sideways possessions, that halt our momentum and trap us in our own back-half. If I recall correctly he was ok at stoppages too with quick hands.
Not going to happen though, his name never gets thrown up when they start banging on about potential midfield options.

The opposition don't care if he has 30 touches that should tell the coaches they're not using him in a damaging way. Horse certainly wouldn't be happy leaving any of our opposition half backs to get 30 as they pleased.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Oxlong

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Should play wing, bring one of COR or Thurlow into his defence position. Might kill 2 birds with one stone, get a more aggressive ball user out of defence, and the midfield might get a boost is Lloyd starts having 20-25 straight line possessions into the forward half...where he can actually use his 15m kicks to more effect, and as a byproduct cuts out his 10-15 crabbing backwards and sideways possessions, that halt our momentum and trap us in our own back-half. If I recall correctly he was ok at stoppages too with quick hands.
Not going to happen though, his name never gets thrown up when they start banging on about potential midfield options.

The opposition don't care if he has 30 touches that should tell the coaches they're not using him in a damaging way. Horse certainly wouldn't be happy leaving any of our opposition half backs to get 30 as they pleased.
This is a really good post and a few of us have said similar. Bringing in a COR and/or Thurlow would release Lloyd and with his precise kicking, a very damaging prospect for F50 entries. We also need to stop gifting players games. Spots should be earned and fought for to be kept!

Cloud_

Artist
Jul 9, 2015
Ivory Tower
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers, Gold City Royals

Yep, been saying prior to the season that I'd like to see him up the ground. His greatest asset is his running capacity, doesn't have a penetrating kick so we end up getting trapped in defence often. Should look to put Rampe in his current role.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I've been saying Lloyd should be up the ground for the last two years and was accused of just making excuses for him. I was making excuses so he could avoid the precise bashing he's getting now for not being as damaging as he could be!

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Still does. Covered 14.1km which was second highest for the Swans (Cunningham 14.5 then Mills 13.8) and third most on the ground.
But I mean run and carry. He’s not involved in much of that since 2016 as he’s crammed in one area of the ground and opts for safer options than the more creative moves he used to make. His running ability isn’t being used to it’s full potential IMO

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
I think most here would prefer Lloyd further up the ground. I think he has just done the role asked of him and done it well.

When he started he showed he was an accurate, if not penetrating, kick and would lower his eyes.

Spot on

But people just look at his stats and go great game lloyd, he racks up 25-30 little dinky touches that do f all

Push him up the ground would be good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree

Just find the media see his stats and give him hype a bit now

Nothing to do with him though
They do that with all Swans nowadays though. Like our hard, tough midfield that is sooo surprising when they are beaten. Not sure many people at CH7 pay attention to Swans or even watch our games regularly enough. Just go on reputation.

Wolfgang West

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Thats where he played in his first year and that looked to be where he would make his name. Agree couldn't be the worst thing you could try to improve the middle part of the ground.

S120

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Yeh this is getting urgent now I think. Opposition coaches have no qualms with letting him run around on his own to get 30 touches every week off HB because it doesn't really hurt them and sometimes directly aids them.

Move him up to the wing.

Number37

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Can we get him kicking inside 50 again like the good old days? He is by far one of our best inside 50 kicks when in position to do so.
His kicking isn't generally as shocking as it was last night, but it generally isn't that good either because it is so limited. IMO.

The King!

Chosen One
Aug 3, 2004
Backwater
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Cavs, Redsox, Patriots
Yeh this is getting urgent now I think. Opposition coaches have no qualms with letting him run around on his own to get 30 touches every week off HB because it doesn't really hurt them and sometimes directly aids them.

Move him up to the wing.

Yep gets the ball stops and chips 30 times a game

teams dont care because it doesnt hurt

He could create some damage on a wing

Top Bottom