Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
I likes him more as a player when he played on a wing. His inside 50 kicking was dangerous, but he doesnt get near the forward line anymore.

How can you overpay a player who has the most disposals, has the highest DE and has got us out of tighter spots than Houdini has ever been in.

This kid is a gun player and the sooner some of our do called experts here realise it the better.

In AFL circles he is highly rated. You all say other clubs did not come calling. Maybe that is because his management told them he would be resigning. Ever though of that. I've heard Sun's and one other club acpcproached his management early in the peace.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which tights spots?

Very good clubman, good player, but I can’t recall a tight spot he got us out of or a match he won

How can you overpay a player who has the most disposals, has the highest DE and has got us out of tighter spots than Houdini has ever been in.

This kid is a gun player and the sooner some of our do called experts here realise it the better.

In AFL circles he is highly rated. You all say other clubs did not come calling. Maybe that is because his management told them he would be resigning. Ever though of that. I've heard Sun's and one other club acpcproached his management early in the peace.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like your post Wolfie but I just have to say that Lloyd’s sole objective was to remain in Sydney. He’s done that and now it’s on him to back up the past two seasons in the role that only he is playing and playing well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like to see how he goes with another pre-season and year in the NEAFL. Some kids just take a little longer.

Agree. Studs needs to plonk on weight. He seems to be smart and the oppo of Grohan.

A bit harsh based on 2 games in the seniors though.
No, its not harsh at all. It’s more what I’ve seen in the NEAFL, which probably explains why his AFL games were forgettable. You get a feeling about some players and this is the one I have.

I’d like to see how he goes with another pre-season and year in the NEAFL. Some kids just take a little longer.
I don’t do stats but I’d put my money on those that play regular AFL early on that make it.

No, its not harsh at all. It’s more what I’ve seen in the NEAFL, which probably explains why his AFL games were forgettable. You get a feeling about some players and this is the one I have.

Tend to agree. He has more than AFL level speed, and his ball use by foot looks mostly tidy, but at this albeit early stage it doesn’t seem to me that the feel of the game comes naturally to him. Just my impression.

That’s not to say he won’t make it, but feel if he does it will be a half back or a half forward rather than a winger who needs a little more nous.

Plenty of time on his side. Club had given him a third year so he has a couple to work it out.

Tend to agree. He has more than AFL level speed, and his ball use by foot looks mostly tidy, but at this albeit early stage it doesn’t seem to me that the feel of the game comes naturally to him. Just my impression.

That’s not to say he won’t make it, but feel if he does it will be a half back or a half forward rather than a winger who needs a little more nous.

Plenty of time on his side. Club had given him a third year so he has a couple to work it out.
I can only hope he proves me wrong. Anyway, we’re a little off topic here.

Agree. Studs needs to plonk on weight. He seems to be smart and the oppo of Grohan.

I'm not always convinced by the put on weight argument. The same thing was said of Florent.
Kade Simpson is not the biggest rooster in the AFL world. Caleb Daniel. Lewis Jetta. Kirky wasn't huuuge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back