Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
wrong in your opinion or are you some kind of god like certain others on here.

btw, i said teams in contention.

so of the teams in contention (you said he would WALK into any other team in the comp), gws, bulldogs come to mind, who would he replace in those sides?

nice diversion but my user name has nothing to do with this thread.

He would walk into a Bulldogs team anyday. He's walk into the Eagles team mate and they won the premiership. It must really grate on you that he won the Skilton!

He would walk into a Bulldogs team anyday. He's walk into the Eagles team mate and they won the premiership. It must really grate on you that he won the Skilton!

Lloyd would walk into any side in the competition. He's the kind of footballer every club wants and need. Never the most fancy, never the most celebrated, never with the most x-factor. But he's a good old fashioned footballer's footballer. Plays for the ball above all else, knows his role and executes it week in, week out at an almost robotic rate. Doesn't stuff around with it and try to be a 2018 footballer, just does the logical, sensible thing in a team full of those who lack composure and polish. Qualities that won Hawthorn three flags.

I'd still like to see Lloyd up the ground more where his pace and skills can be put to better use. Still think he's wasted in the back pocket.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Lloyd would walk into any side in the competition. He's the kind of footballer every club wants and need. Never the most fancy, never the most celebrated, never with the most x-factor. But he's a good old fashioned footballer's footballer. Plays for the ball above all else, knows his role and executes it week in, week out at an almost robotic rate. Doesn't stuff around with it and try to be a 2018 footballer, just does the logical, sensible thing in a team full of those who lack composure and polish. Qualities that won Hawthorn three flags.

I'd still like to see Lloyd up the ground more where his pace and skills can be put to better use. Still think he's wasted in the back pocket.
Someone has to give it to Macca , as he won't get his own pill.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Elite disposal by foot & a future A-grader. Or so i've been told.

Reality:

1. C-grade footskills
2. D-grade football player
3. Pea heart who gets physically outmuscled in 99% of 1 on 1 contests

Have I left anything out?

Not only is he not elite but he is decidedly below average - which is saying something in a watered-down 18 team comp.

So for the sake of my own sanity, can we please put an end to the mindless comparisons between him & players like Jetta & McVeigh?
Hmm...that backfired!

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2018-10-06/2018-bob-skilton-medallist-jake-lloyd

Great interview with the man himself, albeit the interviewer obviously helped himself to a few too many crownies throughout the night but oh well. I know it's commonplace for players to try and pass the credit but Lloyd is next-level humble. Could not say one thing about himself without giving credit to his fellow defenders, Rhyce Shaw, the coaching staff etc.!

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Wait, so are we saying that the oft-floated opinion that he is easily replaceable and we could train anyone up to play his role is debunked? Well colour me stupid.

Well done Jake. Very well deserved Skipton medallist!
Bob Skilton , it is , played for South.

Honestly I thought he was a much better player a couple of years ago when he played further up the ground.

I think he could be even better than he is now if he was further up the ground. To me it just says so much about H&C that one of our quickest, most skilful players is reduced to the defensive 50. He, and the whole team, would be so much more damaging if he could use his assets - clean in traffic, quick off the mark, great running ability, polished by foot - in the forward half. Throw him on the wing where his much-maligned 25m kicks could do the one thing that nearly every other Swan fails to do with their 25m kicks: hit a target.

I'm sure even Lloyd's biggest critics would froth at the mouth if a third of his 30 possessions every week were going lace out to Buddy Franklin or Sam Reid.

Didn’t he get his arse handed to him a few times when playing on the wing by the likes of both hill boys etc and that’s why his role might have changed?

When we were fighting off with Freo, hawks etc a few years back

Especially brad hill

He is a front runner with little defensive ability, but he was one of if not the only mid in our team that lowered his eyes going inside 50.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace

if you take him down to your basement he won't be walking anywhere for a long time. on that note can you cut toby pink loose so we can delist him.

to be fair he was very consistent picking up cheap possessions in the back half and linking up with the midfield with short safe kicks. he was also very consistent at jumping in the air to spoil and missing the ball entirely.

picking up cheap possessions in the back half and linking up with the midfield with short safe kicks.

Um.

That's his job.

Seriously this boards obsession with everyone being an extractor and having to win their own ball is very worrisome.

Um.

That's his job.

Seriously this boards obsession with everyone being an extractor and having to win their own ball is very worrisome.
Couldn't agree more.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
Um.

That's his job.

if your a defender you should be winning your own ball. i am not against outside players and do not believe everyone should be an extractor. my thoughts come from the perspective of the obsession this board has with over inflating his value based purely on the amount of possessions he gets.

Um.

That's his job.

Agree

I did say he was replaceable, stand by it, but he has a role that exists in every side and does it pretty well.

Its annoying when 3-4 swans all bulldoze into one contest, not saying lloyd never does either, but why would you want him too

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
if your a defender you should be winning your own ball. i am not against outside players and do not believe everyone should be an extractor. my thoughts come from the perspective of the obsession this board has with over inflating his value based purely on the amount of possessions he gets.

If you’re a defender, you’re stopping your opponent from getting the ball. If your role is to also distribute the ball, that’s also what you do and he clearly does it well as the current and therefore, reigning Bob Skilton Medallist! Typical juvenile comment!

Glad we didnt get Jeremy Mcgovern, he spent the grand final playing on no one, that would of upset the 6year olds :p

We have our very own Aliir, who seems to stay as far away as possible from his opponent

Didn’t he get his arse handed to him a few times when playing on the wing by the likes of both hill boys etc and that’s why his role might have changed?

When we were fighting off with Freo, hawks etc a few years back

Especially brad hill

You mean in first year?

That was basically the only stage of his career where he spent a lot of time on the wing. Since then he’s gradually progressed into a half back flanker and almost a back pocket type. Lloyd’s a very different beast to the one who started at the club. He’d kill it on the wing and we desperately lack that outside run and polish.

Won’t happen though as Horse needs his best ball users in defence to make his game plan of “keep the ball in our back half” look better than it is.

Back