Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
You mean in first year?

That was basically the only stage of his career where he spent a lot of time on the wing. Since then he’s gradually progressed into a half back flanker and almost a back pocket type. Lloyd’s a very different beast to the one who started at the club. He’d kill it on the wing and we desperately lack that outside run and polish.

Won’t happen though as Horse needs his best ball users in defence to make his game plan of “keep the ball in our back half” look better than it is.
No not first year

Couldn’t run with the best wingers

No not first year

Couldn’t run with the best wingers

Ah if you're referring to his time on the wing in 14 then yes, that was his first year. By 2015 he was already spending more time in the defensive half as that Rhyce Shaw role, and it was basically permanent by 2016.

My point is not that he needs to match it with the best wingers anyway. He can be our own wingman. All of his strengths are suited to the wing - hard running, metres gained, uncontested footy, great disposal. He wouldn't need to "match it" with anyone, just get his 25-30 touches and put them to better use than just potting around the defensive 50.

Ah if you're referring to his time on the wing in 14 then yes, that was his first year. By 2015 he was already spending more time in the defensive half as that Rhyce Shaw role, and it was basically permanent by 2016.

My point is not that he needs to match it with the best wingers anyway. He can be our own wingman. All of his strengths are suited to the wing - hard running, metres gained, uncontested footy, great disposal. He wouldn't need to "match it" with anyone, just get his 25-30 touches and put them to better use than just potting around the defensive 50.
Very true , very good by foot around the 15-20m mark

Swan4Life

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Yeah, I'll concede he's improved. Not like there wasnt room for it.

And as for the B&F, lets get real - this was our worst season in 10 years - so its akin to beating your great granny in an arm wrestle. Which makes him the best of a poor bunch IMO.

Meh.

6yearsold

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal Palace
"these days best job in football is playing half back flank..." nick dal santo.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
if you take him down to your basement he won't be walking anywhere for a long time. on that note can you cut toby pink loose so we can delist him.

to be fair he was very consistent picking up cheap possessions in the back half and linking up with the midfield with short safe kicks. he was also very consistent at jumping in the air to spoil and missing the ball entirely.
He is the back half runner and distributer. That is, his role. I think you just hate for hate's sake mate. He is an integral part of our back half and stop knocking our really goid players. With supporters like you who needs opponents. You bag our blokes more than our opponent's fans.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is the back half runner and distributer. That is, his role. I think you just hate for hate's sake mate. He is an integral part of our back half and stop knocking our really goid players. With supporters like you who needs opponents. You bag our blokes more than our opponent's fans.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree the Lloyd hate on here is disgraceful IMO

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I think he and McVeigh in combination leave us going too sideways and too short too often. Both are good players but not damaging enough to have both playing together as our main weapons off half back. One has too be moved to the wing or not play at all for mine. Need more a more penetrating or damaging player to take take kick ins with the new rules. These 2 are too safety first to be the designated kicker inners.
I thought Thurlow was more damaging and penetrating then either with less ball throughout the JTL and should've been given a spot in the round one team team. (Although I think it should've been one of Melican/Grundy who missed in this particular game).

I will concede.... that Lloyd needs to come out of his shell more. He's not the fastest, nor the toughest, nor the cleanest. But he is a pretty good combination of those things when he wants to be, certainly enough to get more plays going than he did tonight. I think the problem with Lloyd is that from day one he's been a good, old-fashioned footballer's footballer. It's why I love him as a player and am so glad he's a Swan for life. He does the things the coach is asked of him and will perfect and nail his role to a tee. He's probably one of the first two or three names put on the board every week for this exact reason.

But we're at a point now where we can't have players doing strictly what the coach expects of them, otherwise we'll be left with even less answers than we had tonight. We're gonna need some blokes to go rogue. Jones is good at that, Buddy, Heeney, Papley, Florent etc are too. The amount of times tonight Lloyd looked up and there was an opening in front of him, and he instead chose to go sideways, was disappointing to see, because the Lloyd of 2016 100% would have gone for that space and took the game on. His 20-25 possessions in those days were more substantial than the 30 or so he had tonight. Needs to be encouraged to go off the leash more, because I think that version of Lloyd is very, very good, certainly better than what we saw tonight (which wasn't bad, just underwhelming.)

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Should play wing, bring one of COR or Thurlow into his defence position. Might kill 2 birds with one stone, get a more aggressive ball user out of defence, and the midfield might get a boost is Lloyd starts having 20-25 straight line possessions into the forward half...where he can actually use his 15m kicks to more effect, and as a byproduct cuts out his 10-15 crabbing backwards and sideways possessions, that halt our momentum and trap us in our own back-half. If I recall correctly he was ok at stoppages too with quick hands.
Not going to happen though, his name never gets thrown up when they start banging on about potential midfield options.

The opposition don't care if he has 30 touches that should tell the coaches they're not using him in a damaging way. Horse certainly wouldn't be happy leaving any of our opposition half backs to get 30 as they pleased.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Should play wing, bring one of COR or Thurlow into his defence position. Might kill 2 birds with one stone, get a more aggressive ball user out of defence, and the midfield might get a boost is Lloyd starts having 20-25 straight line possessions into the forward half...where he can actually use his 15m kicks to more effect, and as a byproduct cuts out his 10-15 crabbing backwards and sideways possessions, that halt our momentum and trap us in our own back-half. If I recall correctly he was ok at stoppages too with quick hands.
Not going to happen though, his name never gets thrown up when they start banging on about potential midfield options.

The opposition don't care if he has 30 touches that should tell the coaches they're not using him in a damaging way. Horse certainly wouldn't be happy leaving any of our opposition half backs to get 30 as they pleased.
This is a really good post and a few of us have said similar. Bringing in a COR and/or Thurlow would release Lloyd and with his precise kicking, a very damaging prospect for F50 entries. We also need to stop gifting players games. Spots should be earned and fought for to be kept!

Yep, been saying prior to the season that I'd like to see him up the ground. His greatest asset is his running capacity, doesn't have a penetrating kick so we end up getting trapped in defence often. Should look to put Rampe in his current role.

Back