Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Lloyd is a gun. Defence is not his strength but his offensive capabilities more than make up for it. Not everybody needs to be an expert defender.

I suspect they were waiting to see where things landed salary cap wise. With Hanners requesting a trade, they’ve probably finally found themselves in a position to put an adequate offer to Lloyd.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Lloyd is a gun. Defence is not his strength but his offensive capabilities more than make up for it. Not everybody needs to be an expert defender.

I suspect they were waiting to see where things landed salary cap wise. With Hanners requesting a trade, they’ve probably finally found themselves in a position to put an adequate offer to Lloyd.
You’re half right, he is a gun at what he does and yes, he doesn’t have to be as defensive.

As for the contract, while yes was about more coin due to Sydney lowballing, it’s probably not as much as everyone thinks it is. It was more about contract length. They’ve obviously found that happy medium!

Buddy very stiff imo. I understand he missed 4 games but where would we be without him. Parker and lloyd almost looked embarrassed to be ahead of him

Yeah consistency of games played helps which makes sense

Buddy will win if he plays a full year by a country mile

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf @ this page.

CONGRATS LLOYD THE GUN AND STAR SWAN!!!! So proud to have him at our club, to think of how quietly he’s risen to become a club champion, and there’s no shortage of competition on our list. I still remember his first game in 2014 feeling impressed without being in awe, thinking “this kid might play 200 games for us.” Well stuff that! He’s gonna play 300 games and about 95% of them will be bloody good ones. Looked very humbled to win but couldn’t be more deserving.

Man-crush rant over.

Congratulations Jake! An outstanding year!

Also congrats to both Buddy and Parker who were both worthy runners up! (Both missed out due to injury imo... if either one had played round 23, they would have beaten Lloyd I reckon.)

A couple of top 10 inclusions worth mentioning: Georgie Hewett - Just keeps going from strength to strength, reckon he might be a contender next year; and Harry Cunningham - An injury free year and just wow mate! Can't wait to see what you can do next year...

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Having one good year out of the box can happen but that is now two very good seasons at a consistently high standard from Jake which has him on his way to becoming a name we won't forget when we look back in 20 years. Keep it up Jake. Yet another rookie pick that's come good.
That's why we won't keep pick 12.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Elite disposal by foot & a future A-grader. Or so i've been told.

Reality:

1. C-grade footskills
2. D-grade football player
3. Pea heart who gets physically outmuscled in 99% of 1 on 1 contests

Have I left anything out?

Not only is he not elite but he is decidedly below average - which is saying something in a watered-down 18 team comp.

So for the sake of my own sanity, can we please put an end to the mindless comparisons between him & players like Jetta & McVeigh?

Most consistent player we have. His skills according to Champion Data would seem to be quite good. Disposal Efficiency, you have heard of that I suppose, 86%. Contested possession is good too. So? Let me see averages 6.5 marks and 4.5 tackles. Gee wait a minute this guy is shite! So you are telling us. His contested marking efforts improved immensely this year. He is only still young after all and still developing.
o
Macca has had nearly 20 years to stop getting pushed off the ball and still gets pushed off like a piece of tissue. You compare Lloyd to Jetta. Jetta had one good season. Was sporadic in every season after that. You never knew which Jetta would turn up, the footballer or the missing person. Then he pisses off home to Perth. Good comparison. This lad just signed a new four year deal. It's called loyalty mate. Is it a concept you embrace? I do! I would not compare him to Jetta. Lloyd turns up every week and does his job. Lloyd is a role player. Lloyd is unselfish, shy, unassuming and level headed. He is the quiet achiever.

The players and coaches have a great deal of respect for this kid who came off the Rookie list. The coaches voted him the bob Skilton medal and I think they might know just a bit more about footy than you and me.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
CONGRATULATIONS JAKE LLOYD ON A WONDERFUL YEAR. YOU FULLY DESERVED THIS AWARD AS THE MOST CONSISTENTLY GOOD SWANS PLAYER IN 2018. WELL DONE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back