Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
I think most here would prefer Lloyd further up the ground. I think he has just done the role asked of him and done it well.

When he started he showed he was an accurate, if not penetrating, kick and would lower his eyes.

I think most here would prefer Lloyd further up the ground. I think he has just done the role asked of him and done it well.

When he started he showed he was an accurate, if not penetrating, kick and would lower his eyes.

And he used to run and run and run!

Still does. Covered 14.1km which was second highest for the Swans (Cunningham 14.5 then Mills 13.8) and third most on the ground.

But I mean run and carry. He’s not involved in much of that since 2016 as he’s crammed in one area of the ground and opts for safer options than the more creative moves he used to make. His running ability isn’t being used to it’s full potential IMO

Spot on

But people just look at his stats and go great game lloyd, he racks up 25-30 little dinky touches that do f all

Push him up the ground would be good

Playing to coaching instructions hence the B&F.

Does a lot right does a lot wrong.

Still my favourite Swan atm despite all the negatives. Just like the way he tries his guts out.

Spot on

But people just look at his stats and go great game lloyd, he racks up 25-30 little dinky touches that do f all

Push him up the ground would be good

It’s very telling that Horse would use one of his best ball users and runners out of the back pocket...

Playing to coaching instructions hence the B&F.

Does a lot right does a lot wrong.

Still my favourite Swan atm despite all the negatives. Just like the way he tries his guts out.

Agree

Just find the media see his stats and give him hype a bit now

Nothing to do with him though

Agree

Just find the media see his stats and give him hype a bit now

Nothing to do with him though

They do that with all Swans nowadays though. Like our hard, tough midfield that is sooo surprising when they are beaten. Not sure many people at CH7 pay attention to Swans or even watch our games regularly enough. Just go on reputation.

They do that with all Swans nowadays though. Like our hard, tough midfield that is sooo surprising when they are beaten. Not sure many people at CH7 pay attention to Swans or even watch our games regularly enough. Just go on reputation.

They certainly get the names wrong enough

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Should play wing, bring one of COR or Thurlow into his defence position. Might kill 2 birds with one stone, get a more aggressive ball user out of defence, and the midfield might get a boost is Lloyd starts having 20-25 straight line possessions into the forward half...where he can actually use his 15m kicks to more effect, and as a byproduct cuts out his 10-15 crabbing backwards and sideways possessions, that halt our momentum and trap us in our own back-half. If I recall correctly he was ok at stoppages too with quick hands.
Not going to happen though, his name never gets thrown up when they start banging on about potential midfield options.

The opposition don't care if he has 30 touches that should tell the coaches they're not using him in a damaging way. Horse certainly wouldn't be happy leaving any of our opposition half backs to get 30 as they pleased.

Thats where he played in his first year and that looked to be where he would make his name. Agree couldn't be the worst thing you could try to improve the middle part of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we get him kicking inside 50 again like the good old days? He is by far one of our best inside 50 kicks when in position to do so.

Can we get him kicking inside 50 again like the good old days? He is by far one of our best inside 50 kicks when in position to do so.

His kicking isn't generally as shocking as it was last night, but it generally isn't that good either because it is so limited. IMO.

Yeh this is getting urgent now I think. Opposition coaches have no qualms with letting him run around on his own to get 30 touches every week off HB because it doesn't really hurt them and sometimes directly aids them.

Move him up to the wing.

Yep gets the ball stops and chips 30 times a game

teams dont care because it doesnt hurt

He could create some damage on a wing

alex4445

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
His kicking is not that bad usually although his lack of distance does reduce his options.

The main problem as i see it is that he is at his most effective when he provides relentless overlap run. When he can get the ball in our defensive 50 hit up a target and then get the hand ball receive, hit up another target and keep running he creates holes in the opposition defensive zone. At the moment i dont think he is really doing that.

alex4445

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
Almost like the opposition coaches want the ball in his hand

Clarkson would never let Mal get the numbers Lloyd gets , always had Sheil to him.

Shows the quality of HB

Move him to the wing ASAP

Wont happen with Mcveigh out. We really need his run through the middle and it would be nice if he was in fewer defensive contests.

Back